Options

can canon 50D onboard flash trigger slave

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited August 14, 2013 in Cameras
Hi all, I've read everything I can find but still can't come up with a clear picture. Can my canon 50D onboard flash act as a trigger for my Canon Speedlite 420EX. I can't make it happen. I put speedlite on slave and camera in manual but flash does not trigger the slave. Is it just that speedlite doesn't have that capability? Would appreciate input.
Thanks... Lynn:scratch

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited August 4, 2013
    According to the Canon Speedlite 420EX Owners Manual, available in PDF form here:

http://www.usa.canon.com//app/pdf/lens/Speedlite_420EX_manual.pdf

... the 420EX "is" capable of optical wireless E-TTL (slave). Unfortunately I don't believe that the Canon 50D body is capable of acting as a wireless Master/Commander, at least not by itself.

I believe that your options are:
    1. Add a wireless E-TTL flash to your camera which can act as the wireless optical Master/Commander for the 420EX. Examples are the Canon 580EX, 580EX II and 600EX-RT, as well as a Sigma DG Super model with Canon mount. Of these I don't believe either Canon 580EX model is available new, so you may be limited to a used 580EX or a new 600EX-RT. A used Canon 550EX would also work. A Sigma EF-610 DG Super in Canon mount would also work as a wireless Master/Commander for the 420EX, but it's not quite the same build quality as the Canon flashes, and the controls are much different.
    2. Add a wireless optical E-TTL transmitter, like the Canon ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter or similar YongNuo ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter. (The YongNuo version uses more common batteries and is much cheaper, but I don't believe that it's as powerful and it's slower to recycle, vs the Canon.)
    3. There are various third-party radio master/slave sets which allow either simple trigger capability, if you use the 420EX in Manual mode, or full duplex E-TTL wireless radio communication to the 420EX (for much greater cost).
    4. Use an off-camera flash cord to provide either simple trigger capability or even some cords with full E-TTL connectivity.
    5. Purchase a different camera body which has a built-in optical wireless Master/Commander capability, like the Canon 60D, for instance.

Perhaps if you outline your intended use and needs we could make a better recommendation, as some of these solutions work better in certain situations (i.e. indoors vs outdoors, solo use versus potentially conflicting with other peoples flash, etc.).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 4, 2013
    Hi Lynn, I think you can still find optical flash slave triggers with a built in hot shoe, like this - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/764705-REG/Nisha_FSU_Flash_Slave_Unit.html

Then you could plug your 420EX into the hot shoe in Manual Flash mode, and the flash from your camera should trigger the off camera 420EX - but you will not be able to use ETTL in the 420EX this way.

The easiest would be to pick up a Canon Wireless optical transmitter like the ST-E2. It is easy to use, works quite well indoors, and should give you ETTL control of your 420EX.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    According to the Canon Speedlite 420EX Owners Manual, available in PDF form here:

http://www.usa.canon.com//app/pdf/lens/Speedlite_420EX_manual.pdf

... the 420EX "is" capable of optical wireless E-TTL (slave). Unfortunately I don't believe that the Canon 50D body is capable of acting as a wireless Master/Commander, at least not by itself.

I believe that your options are:
    1. Add a wireless E-TTL flash to your camera which can act as the wireless optical Master/Commander for the 420EX. Examples are the Canon 580EX, 580EX II and 600EX-RT, as well as a Sigma DG Super model with Canon mount. Of these I don't believe either Canon 580EX model is available new, so you may be limited to a used 580EX or a new 600EX-RT. A used Canon 550EX would also work. A Sigma EF-610 DG Super in Canon mount would also work as a wireless Master/Commander for the 420EX, but it's not quite the same build quality as the Canon flashes, and the controls are much different.
    2. Add a wireless optical E-TTL transmitter, like the Canon ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter or similar YongNuo ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter. (The YongNuo version uses more common batteries and is much cheaper, but I don't believe that it's as powerful and it's slower to recycle, vs the Canon.)
    3. There are various third-party radio master/slave sets which allow either simple trigger capability, if you use the 420EX in Manual mode, or full duplex E-TTL wireless radio communication to the 420EX (for much greater cost).
    4. Use an off-camera flash cord to provide either simple trigger capability or even some cords with full E-TTL connectivity.
    5. Purchase a different camera body which has a built-in optical wireless Master/Commander capability, like the Canon 60D, for instance.

Perhaps if you outline your intended use and needs we could make a better recommendation, as some of these solutions work better in certain situations (i.e. indoors vs outdoors, solo use versus potentially conflicting with other peoples flash, etc.).
    Hi Ziggy, thanks so much for taking the time to give me such a great in depth response. I'm moving into "indoor/studio" photography and as a novice to this side of photography I'm trying to keep costs down to a dull roar. I have some inexpensive strobes/umbrellas stands etc and am ploughing through tutorials every moment I can. I'm getting there but just couldn't quite get my head around my own camera function. I"ll go online and see what I can find that would fix the problem. At present, I'm using the speedlite at a trigger for the two strobes I have. I face it to the ceiling and put a snoot on it with just enough light escaping to trigger the others. Works pretty well but it's a waste of a light I think. I'm very excited about my new found passion and have even ordered a great incident light meter :D lets just hope I can find some models, at present it's a fake bear, dh and anyone who drops by. Thanks again Ziggy, I appreciate it. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2013
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Hi Lynn, I think you can still find optical flash slave triggers with a built in hot shoe, like this - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/764705-REG/Nisha_FSU_Flash_Slave_Unit.html

Then you could plug your 420EX into the hot shoe in Manual Flash mode, and the flash from your camera should trigger the off camera 420EX - but you will not be able to use ETTL in the 420EX this way.

The easiest would be to pick up a Canon Wireless optical transmitter like the ST-E2. It is easy to use, works quite well indoors, and should give you ETTL control of your 420EX.
    thanks Pathfinder... went looking at prices and shrank back a bit.. need to find a used st-e2 mwink.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 4, 2013
    I have at least two or three . Make me an offer....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2013
    I have at least two or three . Make me an offer....
    clap.gifOh wow... I don't know, you tell me :D sell me your oldest one thumb.gif
  • Options
    codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2013

Alas, the 420EX has no manual mode, it is ETTL only. It's got a couple switches on the back for ETTL slave mode settings, and that's basically it.

The ST-E2 is pretty limited -- IIRC it only supports 2 groups instead of 3, and it has no focus-assist lamp. Really the only advantage of an ST-E2 over a 580EXII (used) is that it's a hundred or so cheaper, and it's a bit smaller/lighter. When I was facing this same choice, I bought a 580EXII (I now have three of them, plus the 420EX that I still use occasionally).

--Ian
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    codrus wrote: »
    Alas, the 420EX has no manual mode, it is ETTL only. It's got a couple switches on the back for ETTL slave mode settings, and that's basically it.

The ST-E2 is pretty limited -- IIRC it only supports 2 groups instead of 3, and it has no focus-assist lamp. Really the only advantage of an ST-E2 over a 580EXII (used) is that it's a hundred or so cheaper, and it's a bit smaller/lighter. When I was facing this same choice, I bought a 580EXII (I now have three of them, plus the 420EX that I still use occasionally).

--Ian

I agree, your current flash has limitations. Consider getting another flash (580, 430exII, Yongnuo, etc.) and depending on the budget and setup wireless triggers such as the 622 or even manual triggers like the RF-602, RF-603, etc.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    Thanks everyone, sage advice indeed mwink.gif I've decided to stay with what I have for now as boxes keep arrriving from Adorama and DH's eyebrows are starting to twitch.. I did however on the sly buy a Seconic Flashmate meter and Pathfinder kindly sold me his ST-E2 at a price that even I could afford iloveyou.gif so ... all I need now is to TAKE SOME PICTURES.

Whilst waiting for my gear to arrive in bits I've been practicing with my male model. Mostly failures but I'll get there in the end.. lots of setups and situations whirring around in circles in my mind waiting to settle for the "perfect shot" rolleyes1.gif - here is a link to my galley for the practice shots - beware there is nudity involved.

http://lynn.smugmug.com/Other/Bears/30994583_NLn678#!i=2680656468&k=LNWgw2v

Lynn
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    adaucph wrote: »
    Then you could plug your 420EX into the hot shoe in Manual Flash mode

The whole point is I want to get my flash off my camera and on a stand... I 've been using it in the hot shoe, I want more flexibility light wise.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    lynnma wrote: »
    The whole point is I want to get my flash off my camera and on a stand... I 've been using it in the hot shoe, I want more flexibility light wise.

easy to do and can be inexpensive with manual triggers