Morro Bay, CA

TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
edited September 11, 2013 in Journeys
Because I live in Central California, my beaches are those on the central coast. One that I enjoy very much is the fishing port of Morro Bay.

IMG_0277-X2.jpg

IMG_2139-X2.jpg

One of the best-known tourist businesses, since the 1950s, is the Shell Shop, catering to bathroom decorators everywhere.

IMG_2324-X2.jpg

IMG_2326-X2.jpg

The town is colorful and eclectic, catering mostly to middle-aged couples but not exclusively as more than a few families with young children can be seen roaming in and out of the salt-water taffy stores and arcades.

IMG_2142-X2.jpg

IMG_2195-X2.jpg

IMG_2202-X2.jpg

Granted it's a tourist trap, but it's a short two-hour drive, offers sufficient culinary and entertainment choices, and it offers a welcome respite from our oppressive and seemingly endless summers. The two hour driving investment will save 20 - 25ºF.

Morro Rock, seen above, is the geological anomaly for which the port is named.

On my most recent visit, I was both surprised and pleased to find the Skateboard Museum.

IMG_0352-X2.jpg

I spent a good hour there perusing their many, interesting displays of skateboards dating back to the 1930s.

IMG_2287-X2.jpg

IMG_2289-X2.jpg

IMG_2290-X2.jpgIMG_2291-X2.jpgIMG_2292-X2.jpg

IMG_2293-X2.jpg

IMG_2302-X2.jpg

In addition to the museum and numerous bars and restaurants, there's plenty of sea village scenery along with a few unusual features, like the life-size chess board.

IMG_2340-X2.jpg

IMG_2357-X2.jpg

IMG_2353-X2.jpg

IMG_2356-X2.jpg

IMG_2376-X2.jpg

My niece, Derian, modeling sea shell angel's wings.

IMG_2424-X2.jpg

IMG_2423-X2.jpg

IMG_0516-X2.jpg

A queer bird the pelican, it's beak can hold more than its belly can.

There's much to see and do on California's Central Coast. Each of the small towns, Pismo, Cambria, Avila, and others has its own personality and culture. I find myself drawn to the relative simplicity and quiet nature of Morro Bay.
"Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site

Comments

• EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    Very nice series! Thanks for sharing!
    Way back when, we used to steal our sister's roller-skates, take the steel wheels off and screw them to a board... dumb boys! :-)
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • NeozynNeozyn Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    Excellent shots thanks for sharing.
    All the best!

Canon 5D MKII - HDR
    http://www.jeffisabelle.smugmug.com/
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited August 17, 2013
    Morro Bay is a great place to hang in the winter or summer.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • LascauxLascaux Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    Clever shot of Derian and the clamshell wings. Love the pelican too.
    http://dalejacques.smugmug.com/
  • JaimorJaimor Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    This looks like a nice little town. I can't believe I haven't been here. Is it near Laguna Beach by any chance because it looks really familiar! Great shots though, love the shots of the town and the older cars the best. Thanks for sharing!
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    Jaimor wrote: »
    This looks like a nice little town. I can't believe I haven't been here. Is it near Laguna Beach by any chance because it looks really familiar! Great shots though, love the shots of the town and the older cars the best. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks!

Morro Bay is on the Central California Coast, near other towns like Pismo Beach, Cambria, and Avila. Not far from Hearst Castle. It's about 250 miles from Laguna Beach. I would estimate that it's about a 4 hours' drive north.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2013
    Morro Bay is one of my favorite spots in California. When my son was small, we would take an annual trip driving down the coast, spend a day or two in Morro Bay and Montana De Oro park and beach, and then head down to Disneyland and eventually the San Diego zoo. Lots of good memories. Thanks for sharing these wonderful images of Morro Bay. Great job.