Options

Want to unlist a folder but access it from nav menu

AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
edited August 15, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I have a folder called "Private Galleries".
On my home page it appears along with the rest of my folders.
I would really like it not to appear on my home page or galleries page.
I would like the only way to access it is by using the "Private" link on the nav menu.

I have tried making the "Private Galleries" folder unlisted, but when I do that the "Private" menu link returns a "page not found error"

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
www.acecootephotography.com

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    If you make the folder unlisted, its contents will become unlisted too and even if you give someone a link to the folder, they won't be able to see the contents.

If you just want it hidden from your Browse page, you can open your Browse page in the customiser, choose "just this page" so that you're only editing that one page, then change the settings of the default Galleries/Pages/Folders block on the page so that it only shows the galleries and folders that you want it to show.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    Thank you for that but I must be doing something wrong?
    If I try to customise my homepage (to remove the "Private Galleries" from showing)
    1) I don't have a "Just this page" option. However since there is only one Homepage, I figured this would still work
    2) when I click on the wrench for the galleries block, I can't see any way of not showing the "Private Galleries"
    If I go to the "Browse" page ("Galleries"), I don't have a "Just this page" option. I do get a "make this page custom" option ... but I don't think that is what I want.

My "Photo Products" works exactly how I want the "Private Galleries" to work ... but I think that was set up with share groups????????????? (Doesn't help me but it might mean something to someone)

Once again, thanks for looking.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    In the settings, change "select from" from "current location" to "items | choose", and then click the "items" option on the next line to manually pick all the galleries and folders you want to appear on the page.

Oh yep, "make this page custom" is the option you want for the browse page. That means that changes you make there won't affect other browsing pages, like your folders. It'll only edit that root browse page.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    Thanks for clearing that up ... only the folders I want showing are now appearing and the "Private" link in the menu is working as I want. So a big thankyou.

My only problem now is that all of my folders on Homepage and Browse page are arranged alphabetically ... and, as usual, I can't find a way to move them around and sort them manually. When I look at that folder in my "Organise" section, the folders are arranged in the order I want, but I don't know how to get that to be on Home and Browse pages.

Thanks for any help from a "West Island" Smugmug challenged tog.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    Ahhh, I think that, quite annoyingly, the galleries might be sorted in the order you click on them in the Choose dialog. So you'd need to start from the beginning and click them in the right order. That's a real pain if you want them to be sorted by date.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    How on earth do you KNOW this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????? eek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuheek7.gif
    Thankyou so much for your help ... there is NO way I would have guessed this strategy. headscratch.gif

And thankyou so much for your customisations and all the help/support you offer others. It is a wonderful thing you do. thumb.gif

From a West Islander
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    No problem! That dialog box currently has a right sidebar you can pop open by clicking the total number of selected galleries at the top. Hopefully over the next couple of months, when things die down, SmugMug finds the time to add the ability to drag galleries in that area up and down to reorder them.

From across the ditch!