Options

Thumbnail + preview view

sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited August 15, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Has anyone figured out how to get an approximation of the thumbnail + preview view that exists in the original smugmug?

Mine looks like the file I've tried to attach to this email. Thumbs are shown to the left, in a grid that fills the amount of space available (based on window size). The preview image appears to the right. One can click through pages of images (changing the thumbnails), click to a specific page of images, using the pull down menu, or click forward through the preview image using the arrows.

In the template I'm playing with in the new smugmug, the thumbnails are set when the window is first size, and do not update in size or the thumbnails shown. Clicking on a new page of images updates the preview image shown, but not the thumbnails (which must be a bug -- since it cannot be a desired outcome for anyone). And, there's no way to click through the preview image on the right.

I'm dreadfully unhappy with all the examples I've seen of the new pages (in spite of the beautiful images they contain), because they all the new examples people are posting seem designed to display image collages of small sets (say less than 20) images, with the option to go into slideshow mode to see the individual images. I want to be able to browse galleries of large numbers (300+ images), without going to slideshow mode because I still want my thumbnails. I'm remaining hopeful that someone has figured out how to do what I want, but looking at how the old thumbnail was implemented, I see that it used java script, so I'm worried.

Comments

• Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    On reflection, I see that the bug (the non-update of the thumbnails) occurs when the window is re-sized. On resizing the window, the thumbnails fail to update until the page is reloaded in the browser (using the "force reload"). I'm seeing the issue with both Safari & Firefox on the Mac. I have several other issues, but this one makes the thumbnail view useless.
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    I've been using the Smugmug style gallery since launch and have had a great experience with it; but maybe I'm not understanding what you are looking for. Various combinations of Chrome, FF, and IE on Win7, Win8, WinXP and Android... Here's a large gallery on my site: http://aschendel.smugmug.com/FamilyEvents/2013/20130625-RV-Trip-Highlights

*Edit* there is a thread discussing the lack of "Next Image / Previous Image" navigation links, etc., and some browsers have trouble rendering the dropdown paging box in the new SM style gallery. It does have Paging arrows, and the arrow keys on the keyboard work - which is a feature I really like.

Andy