Welcome to Mini-Challenge #171 ... People are Interesting

Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited August 29, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Mini-Challenge #171 ... People are Interesting

I'm not really a people shooter but after two rounds of wildlife I felt it time for something new.
I'm looking for candid images of people doing interesting, amusing or odd things, or photographed at rest in an interesting situation or environment.

The key word here is "candid" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candid_photography).
So static "set-up" portraits are not expected in this one and although historic "re-enactment" shots are allowed I will view them as slightly "set-up" unless the situation shown is decidedly outside the norm for the event.

Think people in the street, shopkeepers / workers, amusing/odd shots of kids or people in extreme, amusing or unusual situations/environments.
Content can trump quality on this one and don't get too hung up on "Is it interesting enough?" - I'd rather see them than not see any!
Commentary and discussion is more than encouraged as it progresses, but as judge I will generally be quiet unless help is needed.

I'll let this one run for two weeks closing at 1pm (Brit summer time) 29th August.

Good luck - Alan.

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and YOU POST 1-3 IMAGES. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!

Following the usual tradition, here are some examples of mine ...

IMG_0049-Edit-XL.jpg

IMG_3615-XL.jpg

IMG_7221-XL.jpg

IMG_3790-Edit-XL.jpg

Comments

• KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    I don't normally have people in my shots but I do have a few. Guess I'll start.

Brother Can You Spare A Dime?
    i-fzHmCX7-L.jpg

They Only Come Out At Night
    i-g5RX7fg-L.jpg

Gypsy Woman
    i-K834kfv-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    I'm also not generally a people shooter. Still working to find the street touch.

1 - Skateboarding at the Lake
    P1450951Adjust-XL.jpg

2 - A Tight Squeeze
    P1530946Adjust-L.jpg

3 - Out of Room
    P1530940Adjust-L.jpg
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    I do a lot of candid people shots. In the beginning I was self conscious about it, but now I just pretend I'm invisible (because most people aren't that interested in anyone else except themselves). I'll have to look and see what I have.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • pixelpeeperpixelpeeper Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    Not my normal subject matter but I enjoyed digging around in my collection for these.....

Clowning Around

i-mrPCtDk-XL.jpg

Lost Soul in Florence

i-d4HHv8k-XL.jpg

Sherpa Power

i-Q9Qx5L5-XL.jpg
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    Let mom and dad look at the ocean I want to fly over it come on guys help me out :ivar pick me up
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited August 16, 2013
    I'm going to take the idea that "Content can trump quality" literally. Because some of these photos were taken with point and shoot cameras, or film cameras a long time ago.

This one is obviously a re-enactment and I'm not sure that it meets the designation of 'outside of the norm'. What I think is funny about it is that one of the "Romans" is scratching his butt. Taken in 2002 at the British Museum with a point and shoot film camera.

xb720020720-1224.jpg

I eliminated all the photos of my children because I felt that as their mother, I had an unfair advantage. But I will include this photo of my dad

0106-00660012.JPG

which I took in 1959 - one of the first three rolls I shot with my new camera (Kodak Retina Reflex). It's a little out of focus because of course in those days there was no auto focus and the moment didn't last long enough for me to get a good focus.

The last one is the only digital image of the lot and I don't know that it is unusual enough, but here it is. Taken at Highbourne Cay in the Bahamas in 2002

Picture%25201039.jpg
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    IMGP5723-L.jpg

IMGP6100-L.jpg

IMGP2538-L.jpg

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited August 16, 2013
    Love the lady with the snapping turtle - and glad it's not me!!!
    edited August 16, 2013
    grandmaR wrote: »
    Love the lady with the snapping turtle - and glad it's not me!!!
    Thank you. Diane is a long time Raptor rehabilitator and one of our Wildlife personnel where I work. She helps this fellow get to his pond instead of scaring people in our parking lot.

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited August 16, 2013
    A snapping turtle isn't a raptor is it? I mean I assume that this was outside her area of responsibility

Incidentally my definition of 'candid' for the purpose of this challenge is that the people either do not know that they are being photographed or have no expectation that they will be photographed. So when I picked mine, I picked ones where the subject was not looking at me.
    edited August 16, 2013
    grandmaR wrote: »
    A snapping turtle isn't a raptor is it? I mean I assume that this was outside her area of responsibility

Incidentally my definition of 'candid' for the purpose of this challenge is that the people either do not know that they are being photographed or have no expectation that they will be photographed. So when I picked mine, I picked ones where the subject was not looking at me.
    She wasn't looking at me as I shot this. Her attention was on the turtle. Safer for her!
    Raptors (Owls and hawks/eagles) are only one of here expertises with wildlife. She has been in the "zoo" field for over 30 years.

Don
    edited August 16, 2013
    Well that's what I meant - she wasn't expecting to be photographed. But I should have made it clear - I was talking about my photos and how I picked them and not other people's entries.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 17, 2013
    I like the theme of this challenge! Please do not include my images for the judging, but I thought I would show a few of my images.
    1. Egyptian Women
    JMMed8656-L.jpg

2. Hand Carved
    JMMed4034-L.jpg

3. The Gathering
    JMMed2128-L.jpg
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    To and Fro
    To%20and%20Fro-XL.jpg

Looking Goood!
    Looking%20Good-XL.jpg

Best Seat in the House
    Best%20Seat%20in%20the%20House-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • ShootingStarShootingStar Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    1. Mysterious Siq

IMG_7994-L.jpg

2. Apple Moment

IMG_0462-L.jpg

3. Patience, Patience... she will get bored...

IMG_7994-L.jpg
    Nature can be so different around the world but it is always amazing!

Travel Blog English: http://www.zigzagonearth.com
    Travel Blog French: http://zigzagvoyages.fr
    Infoproduct Creation Blog : https://structurinfo.com
  • CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    1. History

_MG_9020-XL.jpg

2. Parade

AN7O8530SMALL-XL.jpg

3. Resting

CRANKY%20VIKINGS-XL.jpg
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    p1392022202-4.jpg

p1264639814-4.jpg

p1460205934-4.jpg
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Excellent set, billseye!
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    1 ?
    i-GwxGGCC-XL.jpg

2 Painter of faces
    i-B629rzL-XL.jpg

3 'Tis the season
    i-DMHPKSS-XL.jpg
  • juanherediajuanheredia Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    I love to shot distracted people on the street or a park, when I'm out. Here are some recent photos I got.

1. Amazed
    DSC_6828-L.jpg

2. Dancing under the water
    _dsc5686-L.jpg

3. Capoeira
    _DSC6027-L.jpg
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    1. Sports bar

corozal-belize-sport-bar-3-L.jpg

2. At the kiosk

kiosk1-L.jpg

3. Playing billiards for money

biliards-8-L.jpg
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • FourLetterNerdFourLetterNerd Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 26, 2013
    Restoration worker.
    restorationWorker-800px-04643.jpg
    There is window glass between him and the camera.
  • FourLetterNerdFourLetterNerd Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 26, 2013
    Fisherman loading ice.
    fishermanLoadingIce-640px.jpg
    Usually one sees only backpackers wearing Thai Fisherman's Pants :-)
  • kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    bohemian dancers
    IMG_9719%20-1-L.jpg
  • LascauxLascaux Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    The following photos are from a couple of trips to Asia. BTW I'm very sorry for the use of links but when I used the "embed image" icon it gave me no choice but to use a link and when I tried the "manage attachments" feature it allowed me a maximum of one upload, and when I simply tried to copy a jpeg into the body of the reply it simply didn't take. Clearly I'm a newb at this.

#1 Children of the Mekong. On a visit to a rural village that rarely sees outsiders the children were especially excited and eager to show off. The ran to edge of the Mekong where the bravest ones started to outdo one another with feets of daring jumping from higher and higher into the river.

http://dalejacques.smugmug.com/Travel/dgrin-candids-submital/31510675_k4DhJK#!i=2729760439&k=cbgNJpJ&lb=1&s=O

#2 The Cricket Fighter. An older gentleman in the historic section of Beijing regaled a tourist group with tales of big money and championships in the Chinese tradition of cricket fighting. He was very animated and quite entertaining. This is a photo of his old, skilled hands handling the animals he loved.

http://dalejacques.smugmug.com/Travel/dgrin-candids-submital/31510675_k4DhJK#!i=2729760549&k=hR84Mwx&lb=1&s=O

#3 Hidden Suspicions. Being sick I stayed behind my travel group in Xiamen. When I felt a little better I went on the streets by myself, camera in hand. Parents were being picked up after school by parents. And I was able to take this photo which so happened to have such a dramatic contrast of expressions - almost as if the outward face hid inward feelings.

http://dalejacques.smugmug.com/Travel/dgrin-candids-submital/31510675_k4DhJK#!i=2729760658&k=W8LdHkS&lb=1&s=O
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    Lascaux wrote: »
    The following photos are from a couple of trips to Asia. BTW I'm very sorry for the use of links but when I used the "embed image" icon it gave me no choice but to use a link ....

Lascaux,

Welcome and thank you for contributing to this challenge.

I have looked at your links and I do not understand why they do not work either.
    One possibility is that you have not upgraded to the new SmugMug system yet and perhaps you cannot link to the old system - but that is simply an uninformed guess.

It is totally acceptable to post three messages and upload the images using the paper clip on each one as others have done this in the past. However, rest assured that I have viewed your photos and will take them into consideration when judging after the competition closes tomorrow.

Alan.
    edited August 28, 2013
    WHen I want to put a photo up, I don't link, I put it in as a photo like this (which is not an entry)

IMG_4068.JPG

Instead of as a link like this

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Byjmzm9cXQQ/UBVtx8ZSPLI/AAAAAAABaI8/W3Km_gQU-5Q/s720/IMG_4068.JPG

So it has IMG in brackets in front of and behind the URL

[IMG][/img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Byjmzm9cXQQ/UBVtx8ZSPLI/AAAAAAABaI8/W3Km_gQU-5Q/s720/IMG_4068.JPG

Of course maybe this isn't what you are talking about.
    edited August 29, 2013
    The following photos are from a couple of trips to Asia. BTW I'm very sorry for the use of links but when I used the "embed image" icon it gave me no choice but to use a link and when I tried the "manage attachments" feature it allowed me a maximum of one upload, and when I simply tried to copy a jpeg into the body of the reply it simply didn't take. Clearly I'm a newb at this.

#1 Children of the Mekong. On a visit to a rural village that rarely sees outsiders the children were especially excited and eager to show off. The ran to edge of the Mekong where the bravest ones started to outdo one another with feets of daring jumping from higher and higher into the river.

http://dalejacques.smugmug.com/Travel/dgrin-candids-submital/31510675_k4DhJK#!i=2729760439&k=cbgNJpJ&lb=1&s=O

#2 The Cricket Fighter. An older gentleman in the historic section of Beijing regaled a tourist group with tales of big money and championships in the Chinese tradition of cricket fighting. He was very animated and quite entertaining. This is a photo of his old, skilled hands handling the animals he loved.

http://dalejacques.smugmug.com/Travel/dgrin-candids-submital/31510675_k4DhJK#!i=2729760549&k=hR84Mwx&lb=1&s=O

#3 Hidden Suspicions. Being sick I stayed behind my travel group in Xiamen. When I felt a little better I went on the streets by myself, camera in hand. Parents were being picked up after school by parents. And I was able to take this photo which so happened to have such a dramatic contrast of expressions - almost as if the outward face hid inward feelings.

http://dalejacques.smugmug.com/Travel/dgrin-candids-submital/31510675_k4DhJK#!i=2729760658&k=W8LdHkS&lb=1&s=O

so now I've migrated to the new smugmug and will attempt to use the "inset image" icon in the tool bar which prompts for a webpage address and then inserts for and aft of the web address. We'll see if this works...  #1 Children of the MekongA

#2 Cricket Fighter

A

#3 Hidden Suspicions

A
    edited August 29, 2013
    so now I've migrated to the new smugmug and will attempt to use the "inset image" icon in the tool bar which prompts for a webpage address and then inserts for and aft of the web address. We'll see if this works...  #1 Children of the MekongA

#2 Cricket Fighter

A

#3 Hidden Suspicions

A

nothin' hmmm. well that kinda stinks...