Getting screen prints from PCs and smartphones

macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
edited August 18, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
It can be very useful when posting a thread about a customisation problem you have to include a screen print, especially if you have not yet unveiled.

MAC

Some recommendations for MAC apps http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/graphics-roundups/7-awesome-screen-capture-apps-made-for-the-mac/

For example... Skitch by Evernote.

WINDOWS

On Windows 7 and 8 it's easy using the snipping tool - which was only introduced in Windows 7. For previous versions there are other free tools available. After you have created and saved your snip, load it to an unlisted Smug folder and get the link for the forum post. Other users will see it even though the image is in an unlisted gallery.

If you want to capture a pull-down menu the instructions are here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/snipping-tool-frequently-asked-questions

An example: You can pin the snipping tool to the task bar as I have done (the scissors symbol) which makes it easy to access.

i-4mbK62c-L.jpg

SMARTPHONES

This will vary depending on the phone and operating system.

Windows Phone http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/photos/take-a-screenshot

Samsung S3 - just swipe your palm across the screen and it will capture the screen and save it to your gallery on the phone. You can then use the Smugmug Android app to upload the image direct to an image gallery of choice on your Smug account Android Smug app Then just get a link as normal and post it in the forum.

Example: From Samsung S3
i-G6xc3CL-M.png

And example of how to do it.

I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited August 18, 2013
    Thanks for this, very helpful to have a place to refer to when folks aren't sure how to get screen shots. Here's another one...

You can take a screen shot on a phone running Windows 8 by holding the start and power buttons at the same time. The screen shot goes to the Screenshots album in the photos app.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/photos/take-a-screenshot

--- Denise
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    On Mac it's just cmd-shift-4
    but even easier and better is to use Skitch or Evernote, snap your grab, and it uploads and you can easily just post it inline in a forum.
    Jing is another tool that works on both Mac or PC.
  • electrolyteelectrolyte Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Thanks for this, I had no idea about the snipping tool in Win 7. Much easier than my usual method which is to press PrtScn which captures the whole screen, paste this into Photoshop Elements and then use the crop tool to cut out the bit I wanted to keep.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    On a pc (any version of Windows) I just hit the keyboard "print screen" key or if for just a window alt+"print screen" key.
    I then opened a photo editor, in my case PSP, and paste it in. Then crop and "save as" to a folder I named "Dgrin".

On the Dgrin site go to "Manage Attachments" down below and browse to and upload shot. I always use
    this folder on my pc so clicking browse always lands in this pc folder. I name the screen shots
    "Dgrin1.jpg, Dgrin2.jpg, etc. so I just pick the latest to upload.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    On a pc (any version of Windows) I just hit the keyboard "print screen" key or if for just a window alt+"print screen" key.
    I then opened a photo editor, in my case PSP, and paste it in. Then crop and "save as" to a folder I named "Dgrin".

On the Dgrin site go to "Manage Attachments" down below and browse to and upload shot. I always use
    this folder on my pc so clicking browse always lands in this pc folder. I name the screen shots
    "Dgrin1.jpg, Dgrin2.jpg, etc. so I just pick the latest to upload.

I've never used print screen before (you live and learn rolleyes1.gif). Seems to work OK if you have Photoshop open, or whatever package you use. Did discover one interesting thing - if you print and past one shot into Photoshop then double the canvas size leaving the paste at the top, you can go back and past in another as it adds it as a new layer. So you get two screens on one image. Like this...

i-qFRmT9z-XL.jpg
    edited August 18, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    On Mac it's just cmd-shift-4
    but even easier and better is to use Skitch or Evernote, snap your grab, and it uploads and you can easily just post it inline in a forum.
    Jing is another tool that works on both Mac or PC.

Thanks, Andy. I've put some MAC details at the top.
    edited August 18, 2013
    You can take a screen shot on a phone running Windows 8 by holding the start and power buttons at the same time. The screen shot goes to the Screenshots album in the photos app.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/photos/take-a-screenshot

--- Denise

Thanks, Denise. I added it to the top post.