Options

Why sharing in facebook does not work any more

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited August 22, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Hi all,
I have constantly problems when sharing in facebook my images (actually I post in my wall the links to my smugmug images).

First of all
1. I can not find any more the option which link I want to share in facebook (image link, gallery link..)
2. There are times when I select an image to share in facebook, and the pop up of facebook appears, the thumbnail there does not correspond to the image I am uploading.
3. There are times that I have included captions to my images but these do not appear always in my post in facebook.

Do you have similar problems?
Any workaround?

I would like to thank you in advance for your help

Regards
Alex

Comments

• Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Hi,
    so I am just the only one having problems sharing in facebook?

Regards
    Alex
  • Options
    lcsmithlcsmith Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 9, 2013
    Hi Alex,
    It's located immeadiately below and to the left of the picture. There's an icon and right next to it is Share. Click on the Share button.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Hi,
    I know that already.
    I have uploaded one photo to show you what my problem is:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/omh6.png/
    Once I pressed the button you showed me the pop up appers. There take notice that the thumbnail there is not the thumbnail of the image I am trying to share!!!!

What is really going on?

Regards
    Alex
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    if you've not unveiled your site yet, there will be a difference between what you see and try and share and what everyone else (inc Facebook) sees. So when you unveil, it should fix itself. That's what happened for me anyway....
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    Hi,
    what do you mean by unveiled your site yet?
    Alex
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    alaios wrote: »
    Hi,
    Alex

I would recommend using the Publish To Facebook Feature. You can find this in the organizer. When You select an image in the organizer, click on the Share button above the gallery. See attached screenshot. Also, you can read more about this feature here

2013-08-10_0207-XL.png
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    Hi,
    Alex

Unveiled is when your new site is visible to everyone :)
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    I haven't tried posting any images on FB yet since unveiling, but I did post the link to my site letting folks know it had been updated.

Previously it would display the information I had placed into the metadata in the advanced customizer. It was tailored for SEO mentioning what I offered, and the areas I work in. It also would display the name of my site, "Ron Lutz II ~ Photographer."

Now it has my "LutzR2," which is the SM name I used to set up my site (ie. lutzr2.smugmug.com). It also shows what I had once used as the text on my legacy site.

i-scLwfSn-L.png

How do I modify this? Will I be able to tailor my metadata for SEO again? I can't seem to sort out how.
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Also, you can read more about this feature here

Oh, I used to use the "publish to facebook" feature that was in beta, or whatever. I used it a lot and liked it. The linked page you have is from 2012, using legacy. So it works just the same?

PS: I know "professional" is spelled wrong in that screencap. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    Hi,
    I do not want to publish my images in facebook. I only want to have this sort of "announcements" in my wall so other can see it and be redirected to my smugmug account. I still have problems posting in my wall with the right thumbnail and captions.... Weird is that in some pictured it works find and in some other does not.... Can this be a bug ? Also in my organizer only half of the thumbnails are visible there... IS this normal?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply

Regards
    Alex

P.S Today it has also changed what I get when I click the share to facebook.
    It was
    and now it is
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/rqdq.png/

• Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    Ron,

Check your Site Name in your Profile. That's where it's pulling from. *i think*
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    Hi,
    I do not want to publish my images in facebook. I only want to have this sort of "announcements" in my wall so other can see it and be redirected to my smugmug account. I still have problems posting in my wall with the right thumbnail and captions.... Weird is that in some pictured it works find and in some other does not.... Can this be a bug ? Also in my organizer only half of the thumbnails are visible there... IS this normal?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply

Regards
    Alex

P.S Today it has also changed what I get when I click the share to facebook.
    It was
    and now it is
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/rqdq.png/

Hey Alex I am driving so hard for me to check. While we look into this, I would recommend copying the photo link from the "Get A Link"

You can get this in the lightbox view then Share button.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    I've noticed this too. Using the "Get a link" URL, or any URL that I've tried yet, when I paste that to my facebook wall the thumbnail image facebook chooses is my main bio image rather than any of the photos in the gallery I link. There was a time when I could scroll through a selection of images from that gallery and choose one that would be used, but it's been months since I was able to do that. Before the unveiling I had to link directly to the photo I wanted displayed rather than the gallery in order to have control, but now that has changed too.

In a perfect world I'd like to be able to link to a gallery, and choose which thumbnail it uses. :)
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    For what it's worth, I also tried the share link below one picture in the gallery, and the thumbnail that showed up on facebook was a different picture from the same gallery.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    Hi
    I am "happy" that one more has the same problem and I am not the alone-stupid guy trying to persuade others.
    Any ideas why this happens? What happens people when you want to share the link into your wall in facebook? Do you get the right thumbnail there? Do you also get the right caption written there correctly or not?

Regards
    Alex
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    Hi
    I am "happy" that one more has the same problem and I am not the alone-stupid guy trying to persuade others.
    Any ideas why this happens? What happens people when you want to share the link into your wall in facebook? Do you get the right thumbnail there? Do you also get the right caption written there correctly or not?

Regards
    Alex

When click the photo to open in Lightbox, then click on Share To Facebook, the photo I am sharing is the thumbnail displayed on my Facebook. Check this screenshot.

Screen%20Shot%202013-08-11%20at%201.43.32%20PM-XL.png
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    I am not gettting it. What should I change then ?
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    Here's how I post a specific image. I figure if people like it they'll go to the rest of the gallery.

1. Open the photo and hit the Share button, and then pick Get a Link.

i-5s5vvFx-L.png

2. Go to the Galleries Tab and copy the Lightbox code.

i-NTLVJng-L.png

3. Post to FB.

i-7FdvVCk-L.png

*Please note, it is still showing my OLD site's bio information. It used to be my site's metadata about my services. I've changed the Profile page's information to that, but this old text copy still appears.*

Oh, and I have found that using this method doesn't work on sites like Reddit. There you get a randomly choosen thumbnail from the same gallery.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Hi, many thanks for providing us with an alternative. Unfortunately this did not work either...

So,
    this is the image I want to share the link in facebook

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/is5u.png/
    and after I do what you showed me (get the lightbox link from the gallery tab) this is what I see in facebook

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/ev2y.png/

You can see of course that these are two different images!! I wonder if there is official smugmug support as I am getting tired trying to get a fix for a not for free service...

Have a nice day
    Regards
    Alex
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    The only difference I can see if that I was NOT logged in, and you WERE logged in. Huh...
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Hi, many thanks for providing us with an alternative. Unfortunately this did not work either...

So,
    this is the image I want to share the link in facebook

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/is5u.png/
    and after I do what you showed me (get the lightbox link from the gallery tab) this is what I see in facebook

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/ev2y.png/

You can see of course that these are two different images!! I wonder if there is official smugmug support as I am getting tired trying to get a fix for a not for free service...

Have a nice day
    Regards
    Alex

All my tests, that were done using the "Share To Facebook" tool, and not just pasting a link, had the correct thumbnail. Can you try it that way?
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Hi
    tried that also.... when I try this tool trhe thumbnail like 90% of the time is wrong... I thought that it might be a caching problem but even erasing browsers cache did not solve the problem...

Do you know how I should contanct smugmug support for the problem I have? Someone from their technical team has to have a look here... I am quite limited with not working properly that....

Alex
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Hi
    tried that also.... when I try this tool trhe thumbnail like 90% of the time is wrong... I thought that it might be a caching problem but even erasing browsers cache did not solve the problem...

Do you know how I should contanct smugmug support for the problem I have? Someone from their technical team has to have a look here... I am quite limited with not working properly that....

Alex

Alex are you using the share to FB tool or just copying the URL. every test I have done with the share to FB tool has displayed the correct thumbnail.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    the share to facebook tool (as that is faster ofc). 90% of my tests failed showing wrong thumbnail. Funny is that the wrong thumbnail changed every time on different image... How can I get more support on that?

Regards
    Alex
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Hi
    this is the latest screen shot, where it shows the selection I do for sharing my shot ( Share to facebook).

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/tmcf.png/

The pop up it appeared with the wrong thumbnail
    and on the background the real image...
    Of course when I press the Share link I get in facebook the thumbnail with the horses...

I do know what to do now and who should I contact. Sharing in facebook was one of the main reasons to select smugmug and pay the annual registration fee... I am really dissapointed for this and the overall support.

Regards
    Alex
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Alex, can you let us know what your SM site is so I can trouble shoot?
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Thanks for the answer. What does SM mean? I am really bad with abbreviations (Super Market, Short Mile, Star Melanie)
    :)
    Regards
    A
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Thanks for the answer. What does SM mean? I am really bad with abbreviations (Super Market, Short Mile, Star Melanie)
    Regards
    A

you'll kick yourself when you realise... ;)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Regards
    A

SmugMug.

Your SmugMug site, please, so people can help.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Hi,
    my website is the
    http://alexpal.smugmug.com/

should I give you specific images, as example that give the wrong share to problem?

Regards
    Alex