Over Sharpening

2»

Comments

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    canon400d wrote: »
    ....I have just got back from a motor X event using my new 5DMk3 and once again I tried AV and my shutter speed was all over the place and many times was not high enough so I reverted back to TV 1/800 giving F/5.6 - F8 with an ISO 800 because it was dull and perfect results.

Well, we all use what we're comfortable with ... and does the job - but for the above, using AV mode set to 5.6, iso @ 800 would've shifted SS between 1/800 > 1/1600.

pp
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    Well, we all use what we're comfortable with ... and does the job - but for the above, using AV mode set to 5.6, iso @ 800 would've shifted SS between 1/800 > 1/1600.

pp

Yes PP I feel I must try AV again as everyone else seems to use AV. I find a ss of around 800 - 1000 is fine for motor sports and wildlife. Thanks a lot I will let you know how I get on.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited August 19, 2013
    If you want to shoot Tv to stay on top of your shutter speed, set your 5DMKIII to Auto ISO. DO not be afraid of ISO 1600, or 3200 with the 5DMk3.

I shot wildlife in Africa near sundown, back in the bush, using Tv with Auto ISO with my 1Dx ( because I knew the light was falling fast and needed at leat 1/300th ), and found several images with an ISO of 12800 which I would never have chosen to use, but which were quite nice, sharp, and not as grainy as I would have thought since they were not under-exposed.

Shoot RAW, so that you get all the benefits of all of the data your sensor can capture, and process carefully, and your 5DMKIII will provide excellent image quality, far superior to your 7D images.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited August 19, 2013
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I shot wildlife ... with my 1Dx ( becuse I knew the light was falling fast and needed at leat 1/300th ), and found several images with an ISO of 12800 ... which were quite nice, sharp, and not as grainy as I would have thought since they were not under-exposed.

Ahhh ... not bothered about the Africa bit, but could certainly find a use for such performance :)

pp
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited August 19, 2013
    Paul, you can see one of those images here - check the exif data to verify the ISO - http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Travel/Kenya-2013/i-K6N98tw/0/XL/Leopard%20in%20the%20woods_V6P9572-XL.jpg

On my monitor viewing this as a 12x18 inch image, there is some grain, but to my eye, it does not destroy this image. As the creator, I am of course, biased. This was shot with a 70-300 f4-5.6 IS L, at f5.6, and the image is not cropped.

As a side note - ISO 400 film would never have looked anywhere near this, and color images at ISO 12800, simply did not exist in the film era anyway. I would not recommend cropping ISO 12800 images.

The 5DMkIII should provide similar noise characteristics, I believe.

I do credit Tv with Auto ISO for letting me catch this frame. If I had a 300mm f2.8 IS L, then I would not have been so concerned; but f5.6 glass really suffers near sundown in the bush, and weight limits on airline travel force us to make compromises on our choice of glass these days. I would never have gone to ISO 12800 shooting Av, I just would not have done it, and that is why I shifted from Av that I had been using earlier, to Tv with Auto ISO as the light dropped.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited August 19, 2013
    If you want to shoot Tv to stay on top of your shutter speed, set your 5DMKIII to Auto ISO. DO not be afraid of ISO 1600, or 3200 with the 5DMk3.

I shot wildlife in Africa near sundown, back in the bush, using Tv with Auto ISO with my 1Dx ( because I knew the light was falling fast and needed at leat 1/300th ), and found several images with an ISO of 12800 which I would never have chosen to use, but which were quite nice, sharp, and not as grainy as I would have thought since they were not under-exposed.

Shoot RAW, so that you get all the benefits of all of the data your sensor can capture, and process carefully, and your 5DMKIII will provide excellent image quality, far superior to your 7D images.

I have certainly made a note of Auto ISO Pathfinder. Yesterday I was shooting motorX and the light was good at the start but later in the afternoon, typical Scot weather in the hills really dulled in with very dark clouds. I was amazed I bumped up the ISO whilst in TV mode to 1600 and 2000 at the end. Not a trace of noise anywhere. There is no way I would have got away with this with the 7D.
    Your leopard shot is brilliant and a credit to you and proves everything you have said.
    Cheers
    Bob
    edited August 20, 2013
    Paul, you can see one of those images here

On my monitor viewing this as a 12x18 inch image, there is some grain, but to my eye, it does not destroy this image. As the creator, I am of course, biased. This was shot with a 70-300 f4-5.6 IS L, at f5.6, and the image is not cropped.

P - nice example (as are others on your site) of both your eye and the gear's performance - thanks for the pointer :)

Yes, 12800 is also way above the K64 and K200 that I used to use in a couple of A1 bodies 'back in the day' :)

I also seem to remember Andy Rouse being suitably impressed with some iso 16000 frames he took during his review of the 1Dx, iirc.

Maybe it's time to start doing the lottery ...

pp
    edited August 21, 2013
    P - nice example (as are others on your site) of both your eye and the gear's performance - thanks for the pointer :)

Yes, 12800 is also way above the K64 and K200 that I used to use in a couple of A1 bodies 'back in the day' :)

I also seem to remember Andy Rouse being suitably impressed with some iso 16000 frames he took during his review of the 1Dx, iirc.

Maybe it's time to start doing the lottery ...

pp

I'll join you PP.
    Bob