Options

Canon 5DMk3

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited August 19, 2013 in Cameras
Hi
I received my new Mk3 this week and today was my second shoot. on Friday when I used it with a 100 - 400L the AF on the 61 AF points was showing the single red square in the centre and when I pressed on the AF button it brought up the rest of the points in red. Brilliant.
Yesterday I was reading the manual again to familiarise myself with the cameras settings and today on a Motor X shoot I found that all 61 AF points were being displayed in black and was taking up all my view in the view finder. I tried and better tried to revert back to the single red centre setting but to no avail.
I have just looked at the manual and I cannot find how to revert back. Please help me as I am out again tomorrow on a shoot.
Cheers
Bob

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited August 18, 2013
    Please make sure to note (write down) any other settings that you might want to revert to first.

To reset the camera back to factory defaults,
    1. Press the MENU button.
    2. Select the [Tools #4] tab.
    3. Select [Clear All Camera Settings].
    4. Press the SET button.
    5. Select [OK].
    6. Press the SET button.

See if this takes you back to your starting point when you received the camera.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Please make sure to note (write down) any other settings that you might want to revert to first.

To reset the camera back to factory defaults,
    1. Press the MENU button.
    2. Select the [Tools #4] tab.
    3. Select [Clear All Camera Settings].
    4. Press the SET button.
    5. Select [OK].
    6. Press the SET button.

See if this takes you back to your starting point when you received the camera.
    Thanks Ziggy I know how to do that. Is there not another way to reset it as I do remember playing about with the Af system and I have obviously pressed on something to cause this.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    canon400d wrote: »
    Thanks Ziggy I know how to do that. Is there not another way to reset it as I do remember playing about with the Af system and I have obviously pressed on something to cause this.
    Cheers
    Bob

I am not intimate with the AF system of the 5D Mark III, plus I don't know what you might have done to the AF system. About the only thing that springs to mind is if you are in the AI-Servo mode it might be a similar view to what you describe as your current situation.

Can you tell if you are in AI-Servo mode? If so, try switching to One-Shot mode.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    I am not intimate with the AF system of the 5D Mark III, plus I don't know what you might have done to the AF system. About the only thing that springs to mind is if you are in the AI-Servo mode it might be a similar view to what you describe as your current situation.

Can you tell if you are in AI-Servo mode? If so, try switching to One-Shot mode.
    To be honest Ziggy I never thought there would be so many different settings from the 5DMk2 right down to the Canon battery grip. I have to take the sleeve out to insert the batteries.
    Yes I am in Al-servo mode and I was in the Al-servo mode on Friday shooting wildlife.
    I have tried single mode and it is the same.
    Bob
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Unlike the 5D Mark II, the 5D Mark III does not light up the active AF point on a half-depress. In One-Shot mode on the 5D Mark III you should see a brief red flash during AF acquisition.

You can always use the joystick to move the AF point a little and then back, and then the AF point will show during the move.

This is a difference between the 5D Mark II AF point action, but it is not a defect.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Bob,
    There are a large variety of AF display combinations that can be programmed under the menu system - try some trial and error there to see what can be configured.
    And, to cycle through the VFinder display of options configured under the menu, press the most upper-right button on the rear (has a matrix symbol) to activate selection mode,
    then press the M-Fn repeatedly (just behind the shutter button) to cycle through the choices - single center FP should be one of them. The available choices will vary depending on what lens is attached.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Unlike the 5D Mark II, the 5D Mark III does not light up the active AF point on a half-depress. In One-Shot mode on the 5D Mark III you should see a brief red flash during AF acquisition.

You can always use the joystick to move the AF point a little and then back, and then the AF point will show during the move.

This is a difference between the 5D Mark II AF point action, but it is not a defect.
    Yeah I think I will have to do as you have said by defaulting everything. Today the whole view finder has been full of 61 small black squares which certainly interfere with taking a shot. Whereas on Friday I just had the small centre red square and if I wanted to move the focus point pressed the AF button and this brought up all the 61 red squares and I could select by moving the joy stick.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Look through the viewfinder while doing all this:

Press the AF point selection button on the back of the camera, to the right of the * button. The AF point(s) illuminate red. While they are red, press the small M-Fn button near the shutter button repeatedly until you see the configuration you want. This cycles through the AF point selection options.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    Look through the viewfinder while doing all this:

Press the AF point selection button on the back of the camera, to the right of the * button. The AF point(s) illuminate red. While they are red, press the small M-Fn button near the shutter button repeatedly until you see the configuration you want. This cycles through the AF point selection options.

If, of course, they are enabled in the AF menu. Personally, I turn down the options to just single point and 9-point. No real use for anything else...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    Bob, I suspect this's already been checked - and I have no idea about any 5D body, but the nearest I've experienced to this was when the mode dial on my 40D got turned to A-Dep during the bike ride to venue ... and nowt worked as usual / expected / wanted :)

pp
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    Bob, I suspect this's already been checked - and I have no idea about any 5D body, but the nearest I've experienced to this was when the mode dial on my 40D got turned to A-Dep during the bike ride to venue ... and nowt worked as usual / expected / wanted :)

pp

Thanks everyone for all your kind kelp which is very much appreciated. I see now how the changes can be made using the AF and M-fn button.
    As I right in saying that the 61 points are in the view finder all the time. I have checked the 5DMk2 and I see all nine points are visible but I don't find them as noticable as 61 points.
    I have checked the 5DMk3 manual regarding the AF Area Selection Mode and I see on my camera all 6 selection boxes are checked. Is this correct or should just one box be checked. If so which one?
    Thanks again everyone.
    Bob
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    canon400d wrote: »
    As I right in saying that the 61 points are in the view finder all the time. I have checked the 5DMk2 and I see all nine points are visible but I don't find them as noticable as 61 points.
    Menu -> AF tab -> 5th page -> AF point display during focus. I like "Selected (constant)".
    I have checked the 5DMk3 manual regarding the AF Area Selection Mode and I see on my camera all 6 selection boxes are checked. Is this correct or should just one box be checked.
    Having all 6 checked just means you have all those options available while shooting by pressing the AF/M-Fn buttons.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    Menu -> AF tab -> 5th page -> AF point display during focus. I like "Selected (constant)".

Having all 6 checked just means you have all those options available while shooting by pressing the AF/M-Fn buttons.

Thanks a lot Jack done the same as you and " Selected (constant)" And have left all 6 boxes checked.
    Bob