Options

variable transitions on homepage slideshow

macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
edited August 20, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I created a slideshow in ProShow Gold with variable transitions. Then loaded the video to one of my Smug photo galleries, entered a video block onto my homepage and linked to the video.

You can also include music (yuk!) and also Ken Burns movements. http://www.macromeister.co.uk/

Any one else done this sort of thing?

EDIT: Slideshow now changed back to standard Smug version due to poor performance.
I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    The challenge I've had with a slideshow done as a video (particularly on the homepage) is they often don't load very quickly which I always thought was important for the homepage. In fact, right now, I can't get yours to load at all. I'm not sure whether it's an issue on my end or Smugmug's end.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    krashedmykarchkrashedmykarch Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    It loaded on my ie9 but it took a couple of minutes. I watched it until the two pans froze on the left side after the transitional slide left (like exit stage left)
    ?
    Cheers though,
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
    www.charlesdalyphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    jfriend wrote: »
    The challenge I've had with a slideshow done as a video (particularly on the homepage) is they often don't load very quickly which I always thought was important for the homepage. In fact, right now, I can't get yours to load at all. I'm not sure whether it's an issue on my end or Smugmug's end.
    It loaded on my ie9 but it took a couple of minutes. I watched it until the two pans froze on the left side after the transitional slide left (like exit stage left)
    ?
    Cheers though,

What speed do you both have on your internet connections? The video is on Smug http://www.speedtest.net/
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    What speed do you both have on your internet connections? The video is on Smug http://www.speedtest.net/
    5 Mbps download.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    5 Mbps download.

And you are still having trouble viewing the video? My speed is 2.8 Mbps.
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    And you are still having trouble viewing the video? My speed is 2.8 Mbps.

Rob,

I just tried it a couple times from here in Burbank, Calif. (testing with the Smugmug servers in San Jose, Calif) and it wouldn't load either time... tried both FireFox and Safari on my iMac

I'm on a pretty fast cable broadband (20 mg down / 2 mg up)...
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    rich56k wrote: »
    I'm on a pretty fast cable broadband (20 mg down / 2 mg up)...

Don't do that... it makes me feel inadequate! :cry:cry:cry

It's clearly not working as it should, even though the video is on Smug and they have a facility in the customizer to insert a video. I'm changing mine back to the normal slideshow. Thanks all for the feedback.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    Changed it back to standard smug slideshow. Can you all see that one OK?
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    Changed it back to standard smug slideshow. Can you all see that one OK?
    The normal slideshow works fine for me here now.

Video is massively larger to download than just images, thus unless you have a pretty big pipe all the way between Smugmug and your computer, a video will take longer to start playing.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    The normal slideshow works fine for me here now.

Video is massively larger to download than just images, thus unless you have a pretty big pipe all the way between Smugmug and your computer, a video will take longer to start playing.

Yes, that sounds right. So why do Smug have the facility? I'm also curious as to why it runs OK for me, even when I'm logged out. Maybe videos get cached?
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    Yes, that sounds right. So why do Smug have the facility? I'm also curious as to why it runs OK for me, even when I'm logged out. Maybe videos get cached?
    Videos can obviously show things that a slideshow can't so they are more useful in some circumstances, but if you want your homepage to load quickly, I wouldn't use a video for the main content on the homepage. Yes, videos can be cached.
    --John
    HomepagePopular