Options

User Experience Tweak suggestions

WolfbetaWolfbeta Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited August 20, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hello Heros, congratulations on the successful roll-out. I'd like to recommend some user experience tweaks that would really help bring things to another level. For illustrative purposes, please view my website at www.animenorthphotos.com while taking the following into consideration

Keyword cloud
Problem: Cluttered with internally used keywords, hindering the users ability to locate keywords relative to them.
Reason: During export from Lightroom I enable "Containing Keywords" and "Synonyms". This is to retain hierarchal structure, as well as enrich SEO for each image.
Solution: A blacklist for keywords.

Search Queries
Problem: Upon clicking a result and viewing it in lightbox, using the navigation buttons load images from that images gallery, instead of the results in the search query
Reason: User expects to see the remaining results, but instead are confused and aggravated that they find themselves having to reenter their query
Solution: Navigation buttons should load the search results
When searching for a keyword, and clicking on the image results, the next button should load the image from the results, not the photo thats next in the respective gallery.

Lightbox
A) Search Queries
Problem: When viewing images in a search query, closing the lightbox returns to the images gallery instead of the search query results.
Reason: The user has to relocate the search bar and retype their query if they want to view their query results in full. It creates a tedious experience
Solution: Closing lightbox on search results should return to the search result page
B) Navigation
Problem: Only possible to exit lightbox by clicking X
Reason: Users have grown accustomed to clicking anywhere to close the lightbox, spending time locating the subtle X as well as manually moving the pointer to that location becomes tedious when browsing for extended periods.
Solution: Clicking anywhere should close the lightbox.

Watermark
Problem: Watermarks on thumbnails break the asthetic.
Reason: I shoot on a pure white backdrop, and like to have a seamless cascading wall of photos.
Solution: Turn off watermarks on thumbnails

Facebook Like
A) Link
Problem: Link only applies to the current url
Reason: Every website I deploy, I link the facebook like button to the companies Facebook page, this way they build their fanbase, recieve analytics about their demographic and have an easier form for outreach.
Solution: Allow custom url field
B) Placement
Problem: Difficult to place the like button in an aesthitic manner
Reason: I tend to prefer to have it near the logo, or somwhere around the menu area
Solution: Allow custom placement of the like button in the menu / logo areas

Branding
Problem: Paying over $300/year and I still have to advertise for you.
Solution: Stop it.

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Problem: Watermarks on thumbnails break the asthetic.
    Reason: I shoot on a pure white backdrop, and like to have a seamless cascading wall of photos.
    Solution: Turn off watermarks on thumbnails

The thumbnails you're seeing are probably S, M or L-sized images, not actual 100 or 150 pixel thumbnails. So what you're asking for is to not show watermarks on S, M or L-sized images. For example, on my Retina display, the top line of images in this gallery use L-sized images for their "thumbnails":

http://www.alexphoto.ca/ANP/Anime-North-Photos-2011
  • Options
    WolfbetaWolfbeta Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 20, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    The thumbnails you're seeing are probably S, M or L-sized images, not actual 100 or 150 pixel thumbnails. So what you're asking for is to not show watermarks on S, M or L-sized images.

That makes sense, but given that they essentially function the same way, it would be nice to have an option to enable watermarks for only a certain size threshold.