Javascript "Guru" privilege

PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
edited August 30, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
I posted this in another thread, but am worried that it might get lost in the traffic.

I realise that Smugmug are wary about allowing unlimited use of Javascript, so would like to suggest a compromise:
  • Allow a "Javascript Guru" privilege to a limited users, who can submit custom-made javascript to Smugmug.
  • Once they have worked out the bugs in their own pages, these gurus could then have the option to submit these snippets to a Smugmug library of these "user code snippets"
  • (This library can be subject to Smugmug vetting, to avoid "dangerous" code - whatever that means)
  • Users have the option of adding items from this library of "user code snippets" to their own pages. (Possibly with a parameter list, or similar)
  • Registered customisers might have the option of creating their own private snippets which could be applied to pages that they customise (they might have to pay Smugmug a small fee for this privilege)

To me, this would satisfy the needs of almost everyone. In the past, we have always had a very small core of people who actually create new javascript code. Everyone else simply downloaded the code from dgrin, and added to their own website. By formalising this procedure, Smugmug can both allow unlimited Javscript for the trusted few, and also allow the masses to simply copy pre-existing code that these pioneers generated.

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    I support this idea. would still like to be able to customise the code myself, as I do tweak stuff rather than just cut n paste it, but it would solve 90% of my issues around JS.
  • juanherediajuanheredia Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Great idea. Consider it, please.
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    PBolchover wrote: »
    I posted this in another thread, but am worried that it might get lost in the traffic.

I realise that Smugmug are wary about allowing unlimited use of Javascript, so would like to suggest a compromise:
    • Allow a "Javascript Guru" privilege to a limited users, who can submit custom-made javascript to Smugmug.
    • Once they have worked out the bugs in their own pages, these gurus could then have the option to submit these snippets to a Smugmug library of these "user code snippets"
    • (This library can be subject to Smugmug vetting, to avoid "dangerous" code - whatever that means)
    • Users have the option of adding items from this library of "user code snippets" to their own pages. (Possibly with a parameter list, or similar)
    • Registered customisers might have the option of creating their own private snippets which could be applied to pages that they customise (they might have to pay Smugmug a small fee for this privilege)

To me, this would satisfy the needs of almost everyone. In the past, we have always had a very small core of people who actually create new javascript code. Everyone else simply downloaded the code from dgrin, and added to their own website. By formalising this procedure, Smugmug can both allow unlimited Javscript for the trusted few, and also allow the masses to simply copy pre-existing code that these pioneers generated.

I spoke to FastLine Media about moving my Legacy SmugMug theme to the New SmugMug theme. On their templates page they show fullscreen slideshows and other features working in the New SmugMug. When I pressed further it appears that SmugMug is already doing most of your suggestion. The "Advanced Customizers" will have access to do JavaScript applications, but you and I will not. As of now, though, SM hasn't turned them on to do it for clients. We'll have to sit tight a bit into this roll out and see what happens :(
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    leftquark wrote: »
    The "Advanced Customizers" will have access to do JavaScript applications, but you and I will not. As of now, though, SM hasn't turned them on to do it for clients. We'll have to sit tight a bit into this roll out and see what happens :(

It looks like fastline can now add JS for their clients....

ref http://www.billmccarroll.com/