Options

slideshow skips photos (new smug)

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,240 moderator
edited August 22, 2013 in Bug Reporting
I added 35 photos to this gallery yesterday - http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Coastal-glimpses/Rebuilding-a-bridge-NH-ME.

I just clicked the slideshow button and found that the first 15 photos loaded yesterday were shown, but the next 20 were skipped.

>>> interesting. I just tried the slideshow again and this time the first 20 photos from yesterday were shown and the next 15 were skipped.

--- Denise

Comments

• Options
    barrybbarryb Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 11, 2013
    Denise:

I've been having the same problem since I switched to the new look SmugMug, and it's very annoying.

In my case, it happens in multiple galleries, both new ones and ones that have been there and working correctly beforehand.

What seems to happen is that the slideshow plays a number of slides correctly, then skips a bunch (maybe 15-20 slides). When it gets to the end and the playback wraps around, it tends to play them all in order on the 2nd run. However sometimes further through the 2nd run, the transitions become jumpy.

I've tested this on four different computers in different locations, both Macs and PCs, with multiple browsers. It sometimes plays correctly, but mostly does not. Clearing cache makes no difference.

I've emailed Smugmug support, but they claim it looks correct to them. I've just today sent them two videos I've shot of a show playing correctly and incorrectly and am awaiting response.

- barry
    I added 35 photos to this gallery yesterday - http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Coastal-glimpses/Rebuilding-a-bridge-NH-ME.

I just clicked the slideshow button and found that the first 15 photos loaded yesterday were shown, but the next 20 were skipped.

>>> interesting. I just tried the slideshow again and this time the first 20 photos from yesterday were shown and the next 15 were skipped.

--- Denise
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,240 moderator
    edited August 11, 2013
    This problem is still happening for me.

If you run the slideshow the first 24 photos are shown then a bunch are skipped.
    If you use the arrows to click through the photos all of the photos in the gallery are shown.

--- Denise
  • Options
    CaoimhinCaoimhin Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Today I have noticed the very same issue happening intermittently. On some galleries slideshow works flawlessly, but on some it randomly skips a number of images. There is no rhyme or reason to it that I can determine.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    I think I know what causes this. The SmugMug slideshow does not wait for images to load, it continues to advance regardless. If one image hangs loading, that will block the load of any further images, but the slideshow will just keep advancing and advancing.

If you're using Google Chrome, open up the developer tools and go to the network tab. That tab will show the progress in loading images, including any failures or hangs, and will help SmugMug support out a lot if you include it in the video.