Options

new SM ia NOT user friendly!!

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited August 23, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
i'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to get my new site to look at least a LITTLE like my old one did, but it's proving to be insanely difficult!

i can't use the text i want... can i upload an image in the header that will show my website name in the font i want??

i can't seem to find a way to move the galleries around on my homepage... WTF? that should be the most BASIC thing to do!!

there's no simple, easy way to match the font in my gallery titles to the font in my homepage header bar... at least if there is, i can't find it!!! again, this kind of thing should NOT be that hard!!

frankly, if this keeps up, i'm gonna shitcan Smugmug and go pay someone to build my site the way I want it!
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    What account level are you? Basic? Power?
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    What account level are you? Basic? Power?

i have a power account. had a pro for a while, but it wasn't cost effective, so i downgraded to power.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

• Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    This is a chance to start fresh and make your site look totally new and refreshed. I'm not sure why there are so many people who want their site to look like the old one.

As far as moving galleries around, This is done in the organize tab. All you have to do is drag around the gallery to where you want it and your website will adjust accordingly.

I would also head on over to the smugmug blog: http://news.smugmug.com/
    They have great how-to videos and other resources to make it easier.

What you have so far seems good to me by the way.
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    why do i want it to look like the old one? maybe because i LIKED the old one? i had it that way for a reason!! people set up their sites the way they wanted them, and now they can't do that anymore, and it's really not helpful.

i don't mind the new layouts - that's fine. what i object to is the fact that much of the flexibility and freedom to customize every aspect of my site is no longer there. i can't even FIND half the tools i need to make simple changes! the navigation/toolbars pretty much suck unless you were one of the maniacs who wrote the code...
    ~ Rocky
    Three Dog Night

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited August 10, 2013
    squirl033 wrote: »
    there's no simple, easy way to match the font in my gallery titles to the font in my homepage header bar... at least if there is, i can't find it!!! again, this kind of thing should NOT be that hard!!
    Fonts are selected in your theme. If you want all of the fonts to match, select the same font for your header font and your body font.

--- Denise
  • Options
    einateinat Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
  • Options
    mrfizzedmrfizzed Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    @squirl033 I AM WITH YOU!!! I think I may be leaving SmugMug

It should not be this hard!
    When to answer the people who say things like "well it is an opportunity to start fresh" i SAY NO WAY!!! I spent hundreds of hour getting site the way it was and I LIKE IT THAT WAY!!!
  • Options
    JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    mrfizzed wrote: »

When to answer the people who say things like "well it is an opportunity to start fresh" i SAY NO WAY!!! I spent hundreds of hour getting site the way it was and I LIKE IT THAT WAY!!!

Instead of empty ranting, maybe take advantage of the mountain of resources SM has prepared to help you make the transition and understand the new system.

Frankly, coming on here and posting empty, angry comments with caps lock on is a very fast way to turn people off to helping you.

It's not hard at all to make changes. If you have a specific question, ask it. Whining doesn't solve or improve anything...
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    why do i want it to look like the old one? maybe because i LIKED the old one? i had it that way for a reason!! people set up their sites the way they wanted them, and now they can't do that anymore, and it's really not helpful.

i don't mind the new layouts - that's fine. what i object to is the fact that much of the flexibility and freedom to customize every aspect of my site is no longer there. i can't even FIND half the tools i need to make simple changes! the navigation/toolbars pretty much suck unless you were one of the maniacs who wrote the code...
    mrfizzed wrote: »

I'm not arguing with you guys, I'm just trying to make what I think is a valid point here which might help you.

Think about why you have a website of images. If you only want to see it yourself then you can set it up to entirely suit yourself. But why pay $80 a year? You could just set up a system on your PC for gallery images. You use Smug (or any other paid for system) so that other people can see your images, and, if you want to sell images then also it's a vehicle to sell images.

So, the look of your site in terms of design layout and aesthetics is important. If you let your own personal taste/preferences get too much in the way you may end up with a 1990's style look that will turn many of your viewers, and potential customers off. If I see an outdated site now I rarely bother to look past the homepage.

I know the Flickrisation of on-line image presentation is being pushed by many companies (inc Smug) but ask yourself why they are doing it? It's because the people viewing want to see that type of layout and style. Or at least, they think they do. All change is difficult, but in the end it's mostly beneficial, because what normally prompts change is the desire to make something better.

Have another think about it? I know it's frustrating at first, but once you get the hang of how it all works it is incredibly more easy to use than the old system.

Only trying to help. http://www.macromeister.co.uk/
  • Options
    mrfizzedmrfizzed Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    James...

I have asked for help numerous times...I do not get much. It should not be this hard.
  • Options
    JumpingJackJumpingJack Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    Some of us want our new sites to match our old because of our business branding, colors, fonts and logo. All my printed business materials match my website - I can't just switch the entire feel of my site and brand. The new smugmug designs are all very modern and sleek and that does not match what I had already designed.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    some of us want our new sites to match our old because of our business branding, colors, fonts and logo. All my printed business materials match my website - i can't just switch the entire feel of my site and brand. The new smugmug designs are all very modern and sleek and that does not match what i had already designed.

exactly!!
    ~ Rocky
    Three Dog Night

• Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    Some of us want our new sites to match our old because of our business branding, colors, fonts and logo. All my printed business materials match my website - I can't just switch the entire feel of my site and brand. The new smugmug designs are all very modern and sleek and that does not match what I had already designed.

In which case your best interests (for your business) may have been to either go to a local web developer and get a bespoke set-up that you retain control over, or get some suitable software and rent some server space and do it yourself? You really can't have it both ways and have a cheap website without any of the possible down-side factors such as structural changes made by Smug (or whoever you use). Smug is basically a template system which you can make certain mods to.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    I know, it is looking like that is exactly what I have to do. However, I don't have the time, or money to do that right now, and these changes were simply dropped on us, the paying customers, without warning, though. I thought I WAS retaining control over my own web site. No matter what, this has caused a major upheaval with my (very small) business.

Besides that, Smugmug's big boasting point was that for professional users, it was "fully customizable," and the perfect solution for pros to show, share and sell their work. The perfect business solution.

It isn't for mine, any more.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    I know, it is looking like that is exactly what I have to do. However, I don't have the time, or money to do that right now, and these changes were simply dropped on us, the paying customers, without warning, though. I thought I WAS retaining control over my own web site. No matter what, this has caused a major upheaval with my (very small) business.

I'm sorry, Jack. But it is impossible to 'retain control' when the basic superstructure sitting above your website is in the hands of someone else.

Why jumpingjack? Is that from the Stones? Jack was Keith Richards gardener evidently.
  • Options
    JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013

Besides that, Smugmug's big boasting point was that for professional users, it was "fully customizable," and the perfect solution for pros to show, share and sell their work. The perfect business solution.

It isn't for mine, any more.

These changes were far from dropped on anyone. This process of a total redesign started over two years ago. SM is providing a very clearly defined structure for your site to be customized within. They're providing the servers, the TCP/IP, etc. All you're doing is screwing with the visual layout of your site and the content you choose to upload.

All this whining about things not being user friendly is ridiculous. Did anyone even try to customize the old site? If you didn't have a thorough understanding of CSS and HTML, you were stuck hiring someone or spending hours of trial and error.

SM saved you from all of that now. Drap and drop. It's idiot proof. Is it without problems? Heck no. There are definitely some growing pains, but the customization is much more approachable that it used to be. If the extremely broad power at your disposal is insufficient, then you should probably go get your own host, server, webmaster, support staff and designer. Or you could stay right where you are, take a deep breath, calm down and take advantage of the power you have.

And if you're adamant that your old site was better, than you probably need someone else to design things for you, because 99% of the old sites were awful looking. Mine was...
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    I did customize my old site quite a bit, actually, with CSS and html. I did it all myself, and all that work will be gone when we all have to migrate over to the new Smugmug. I wasn't aware that these changes were coming until I got the email a few weeks beforehand. I don't really hang around in these forums, or read the blog, I'm busy running my business. ;) I know that the new tools are very simple, and that a lot of people love them. That's great. What I am frustrated about, (I don't intend to whine, in fact I thought I was speaking my mind in a fairly straightforward way) is the fact that all of my customizations - those that I spent over a year on - will be wiped away and I will have to create a brand-new site at some point, with time I really don't have. That is a legitimate concern, not mere "whining." I'm calm, I assure you. Relax and quit getting frustrated with those of us who don't like to see our hard work disappear. I realize I'm in the minority in that I bothered to customize my site quite a bit; however that doesn't make my frustration invalid.

Thanks to all that responded. Yes, the username has a bit to do with the Stones. Also, "flash," and all... photo-related...
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    I did customize my old site quite a bit, actually, with CSS and html. I did it all myself, and all that work will be gone when we all have to migrate over to the new Smugmug. I wasn't aware that these changes were coming until I got the email a few weeks beforehand. I don't really hang around in these forums, or read the blog, I'm busy running my business. ;) I know that the new tools are very simple, and that a lot of people love them. That's great. What I am frustrated about, (I don't intend to whine, in fact I thought I was speaking my mind in a fairly straightforward way) is the fact that all of my customizations - those that I spent over a year on - will be wiped away and I will have to create a brand-new site at some point, with time I really don't have. That is a legitimate concern, not mere "whining." I'm calm, I assure you. Relax and quit getting frustrated with those of us who don't like to see our hard work disappear. I realize I'm in the minority in that I bothered to customize my site quite a bit; however that doesn't make my frustration invalid.

Thanks to all that responded. Yes, the username has a bit to do with the Stones. Also, "flash," and all... photo-related...

I think that you have a completely valid perspective, one shared by everyone to a degree - we all invested something in our old sites. I think what many people are finding is that they are quite pleased with the new "looks" they are able to end up with once they overcome the learning curve.

Unfortunately, SM, like any other company has to choose to sometimes break away from the old to get on with the new. This happens all day long in your life too... some changes we volunteer for, and others we get forced on us. We learn new tricks all day every day just to get through life -- I'm very sure you'll survive this change too!

The good news is you (and anyone else thinking about starting now) are relatively late to this game and a ton of the kinks have been worked out by those who jumped on immediately. If you do a bit of searching, browse the Feature Request forum (so you know what we haven't overcome yet (case-sensitive URLs, no javascript, the favicon, full screen slideshows, randomization everywhere, etc.) and post questions when you get stuck you'll probably rip right through it!

Andy
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    aschendel wrote: »
    The good news is you (and anyone else thinking about starting now) are relatively late to this game and a ton of the kinks have been worked out by those who jumped on immediately. If you do a bit of searching, browse the Feature Request forum (so you know what we haven't overcome yet (case-sensitive URLs, no javascript, the favicon, full screen slideshows, randomization everywhere, etc.) and post questions when you get stuck you'll probably rip right through it!

Andy

Yes, I'd agree with that. I know Smug are really busy right now, but as a matter of some urgency I think they need to make it much easier to get/find help in getting started. Better training videos for new-starters, better static help pages, and perhaps just a generally better intro into the whole SMUG thing.

I found the last week extremely useful in learning new things, and my new site is x10 better than before. But I have some experience and technical background so it was relatively easy for me to set my new site up (although it still took a long time). It must be pretty confusing for a new Smugger who has little technical skills in computing, but is more interested in photography and just wants to set up a decent photo site.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited August 11, 2013
    Instead of empty ranting, maybe take advantage of the mountain of resources SM has prepared to help you make the transition and understand the new system.

Frankly, coming on here and posting empty, angry comments with caps lock on is a very fast way to turn people off to helping you.

It's not hard at all to make changes. If you have a specific question, ask it. Whining doesn't solve or improve anything...
    Very nicely worded!

--- Denise
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    i'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to get my new site to look at least a LITTLE like my old one did, but it's proving to be insanely difficult!

i can't use the text i want... can i upload an image in the header that will show my website name in the font i want??

i can't seem to find a way to move the galleries around on my homepage... WTF? that should be the most BASIC thing to do!!

frankly, if this keeps up, i'm gonna shitcan Smugmug and go pay someone to build my site the way I want it!

A week ago, I felt exactly the same. I couldn't find a way to do ANYTHING. This frustration was compounded by Smugmugs amazing omission of any documentation.
    However, I read the forums and gleaned a gem every now and then, I emailed the heroes with specific questions and got back specific information. Little by little, day-by-day I added more features that I wanted and I began to understand the methods for getting stuff done.
    I still felt that I would be in legacy for months ... but I got enough features put together to make a working version of my website.
    In fact I took the plunge and unveiled. I now have a multi-level menu system and three slideshows on my homepage. I was never confident that I could do these on my legacy site, so I am really pleased.
    I have things that are not right but:
    1) everyday more and more code is being published by really good people
    2) Smugmug will bring out blocks and fixes as time goes on.

You may have a very sophisticated/customised site compared to me ... and I understand and appreciate that you may have a lot more road blocks than me BUT it does get better, you will learn where everything is, there will be css code for you, Smugmug will fix stuff and add more features.
    If you are not ready for it now (for whatever reason), then stay with your legacy. You will have "many months" before you HAVE to migrate ... and by that time there will be a lot more resources to assist you. As I said, I was feeling exactly the same as you just a week ago.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    chickendropchickendrop Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    As easy as it gets
    I know nothing about HTML/CSS, but I was able to make the move from the old SmugMug to the new with no problem, all while retaining the same look and feel of my old site. It takes some getting used to the new customization toolbox, but it's a massive improvement from the old set up. It took me about 2-3 hours of tweaking and setting changes.

There are some really great tutorials on the SmugMug help pages to help you. Here is one from Schmoo that helped me tremendously :)

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1229963-walkthrough-your-new-smugmug-site-in-5-minutes-or-less-

As easy as it gets!