Options

Pat - a rustic lifestyle/model session at Double Trouble

michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
edited August 23, 2013 in People
Pat and I ventured through Double Trouble for this model/lifestyle session. He is the pianist in the band River City Extension (www.rivercityextension.com) If you ever get a chance, listen to their music because it rocks! Now to the good stuff.

1. 2427685_orig.jpg
2. 2855938_orig.jpg
3. 202683_orig.jpg
4. 5346124_orig.jpg
5. 3765283_orig.jpg
6. 1603526_orig.jpg
7. 3310763_orig.jpg
8. 5725329_orig.jpg
9. 48785_orig.jpg
10. 2715743_orig.jpg
11. 9684586_orig.jpg
12. 2482589_orig.jpg
13. 1213802_orig.jpg
14. 3045817_orig.jpg
15. 3717626_orig.jpg
16. 3063549_orig.jpg

The rest can be found on my blog!
wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    1. What is that awesome building? I th ink you used it a previous shoot that I loved, too
    2. SO SO hipster. rolleyes1.gif
    3. Love the whole set. What do you do to get those wonderful smiles? :)
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    Great series, and i do like all of them. You captured the person in a relaxed situation, and that works great. One can tell he enjoyed it working with you, and the result is in the picture.
    Light , color, composition and sharpness is all fine. I do wonder if a little perspective correction on those pictures that have the building in would make it even better (in some the building is falling, but then again that is maybe the intend).

Well donethumb.gif
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    1. What is that awesome building? I th ink you used it a previous shoot that I loved, too
    2. SO SO hipster. rolleyes1.gif
    3. Love the whole set. What do you do to get those wonderful smiles? :)

1. I believe you are thinking of our friend, Pipe-Smokin Tom :D The place is a state park with a lot of history and old rustic buildings. Pretty much a photographer's dream. I knew Pat's style would fit the scene here, so it had to be done.

2. SO SO HIPSTER. rolleyes1.gif

3. Thanks Diva! I've really honed my skills in terms of switching camera settings under various lighting conditions (it's pretty much automatic at this point). So I spend more time creating conversation/cracking inappropriate jokes/ and snapping at the point of laughter/genuine smiles. My biggest thing is trust and confidence. Once you got those two down, you got yourself a solid photoshoot thumb.gif

D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Great series, and i do like all of them. You captured the person in a relaxed situation, and that works great. One can tell he enjoyed it working with you, and the result is in the picture.
    Light , color, composition and sharpness is all fine. I do wonder if a little perspective correction on those pictures that have the building in would make it even better (in some the building is falling, but then again that is maybe the intend).

Well donethumb.gif

Thank you! We really had a great time working together. The distortion is the 35L, but it's intentional. It's part of the lifestyle vibe for me.
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    I remember your pipe smoking Tom set. Love these just as much. I love how you break rules and it just WORKS.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    lilmomma wrote: »
    i love how you break rules and it just works.

^^^^ this.

(PS What are you using to edit? Consistent, effective and lovely choices, no matter how you're achieving them!)
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    lilmomma wrote: »
    I remember your pipe smoking Tom set. Love these just as much. I love how you break rules and it just WORKS.

Pipe-smoking Tom is still one of my favorite sets. It was the first time I used natural light more dynamically, and the results paid off big time. And rules are for squares! rolleyes1.gif

divamum wrote: »
    ^^^^ this.

(PS What are you using to edit? Consistent, effective and lovely choices, no matter how you're achieving them!)

I cull with Photo Mechanic, do my first round of edits in Adobe Camera RAW, and then I'll take the best shots (ones that could be potentially blogged) and edit them in Photoshop. Using hot keys, creating my own presets, and PS scripts sped up time HUGELY in Photoshop. I was able to edit 85 images in PS in about an hour and 15 mins. It used to take me a little over three hours to do that many images! (not kidding)

Spending time in California with Michael James inspired me to change/speed up my workflow. This guy is absolutely nuts. We had a double header and after shooting the first wedding, he had everything edited by 2pm the following day, and we had to start shooting again by 3pm. He works full time as a paralegal and does weddings on the weekends. Awesome dude too.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Killer stuff! As usual
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Really nice work. Love the comp, color and attitude. Only nit is lens choice that caused some hand/foot distortion.
  • Options
    DangerchrisDangerchris Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Great Set. You make this look effortless and natural.
    ---
    Chris
    www.chrisskrod.com Portfolio site for Portrait Photography
    www.chrisskrod.smugmug.com My general photo sharing site.
    www.instagram.com/chrisskrod Instagram
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Really Effingly Awesome Set!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Really nice work. Love the comp, color and attitude. Only nit is lens choice that caused some hand/foot distortion.

Thank you Charles! Definitely from the wide angle lens I used.
    Great Set. You make this look effortless and natural.

Thanks Chris! That's my intent with most shoots, and I felt like me and Pat really hit it off nicely with this one.
    Really Effingly Awesome Set!

Thanks Alex! Coming from you, I can now officially confirm this set was legit good clap.gif

On a side note, Pat plays the piano in River City Extension. They are close to making it big. I'm a huge fan of their music, so when I got messaged to do a shoot from one of the band members, I was super stoked to make it happen.

Here is one of their most recent music videos. You'll be able to see Pat playing the piano towards the end of the video (there is a slowmo shot of him at 2:48). Enjoy!