Options

Slide show and gallery on home page

carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
edited August 24, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I'm experimenting with my home page and could do with some help please:)

I would like to have a slide show and gallery adjacent to it on the home page - the spacing is too wide between the blocks and I can't work out how to reduce the empty area between the two content blocks, any help much appreciated.

Caroline
Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    krashedmykarchkrashedmykarch Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    caroline wrote: »
    I'm experimenting with my home page and could do with some help please:)

I would like to have a slide show and gallery adjacent to it on the home page - the spacing is too wide between the blocks and I can't work out how to reduce the empty area between the two content blocks, any help much appreciated.

Caroline
    Caroline, although I can offer no help to you I really like your idea. How did you get it this far? The first thing I would try (if you don't get more learned help) is to adjust the padding in each area and watch the outcome each time. I usually exaggerate the change the first time to see immediately if I'm on the right track then go from there. My home page is an example of that. Looks simple to me now but took a lot of tweaking. I'll be watching your thread closely for 'how to do that'
    Nice site and great idea,
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
    www.charlesdalyphotography.com
  • Options
    krashedmykarchkrashedmykarch Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    In looking further into your site, another thing you might consider: Keeping the same image format (Landscape/Portrait) in the slideshow container. When the images are mixed formats the show appears (to the viewer) to 'jump' back and forth and lessens the visual smoothness. Probably more apparent when the thumbnails are beside it.
    Just a thought
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
    www.charlesdalyphotography.com
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    In looking further into your site, another thing you might consider: Keeping the same image format (Landscape/Portrait) in the slideshow container. When the images are mixed formats the show appears (to the viewer) to 'jump' back and forth and lessens the visual smoothness. Probably more apparent when the thumbnails are beside it.
    Just a thought

Hi Charles,
    Thanks for your suggestion regarding mixed formats, i've removed all the portrait images and will remember this for the future:)

I adjusted the padding and have got much closer to what I want it to look like but this is only good on the desktop computer, not iPad or phone:(

So the basic idea is OK but I really want my site to look good on mobile devices as much as desktop.
    I'll hold off deleting it until you take another look but I think it probably best to keep things very simple as more and more our sites will be viewed on mobile devices.

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited August 24, 2013
    caroline wrote: »
    I adjusted the padding and have got much closer to what I want it to look like but this is only good on the desktop computer, not iPad or phone
    Caroline -
    I just took a look at your homepage on my Windows phone. I think the recent photos block takes the viewers attention away from your slideshow when I look at your page in a web browser. On the phone I was surprised to see that it works better (for me) in vertical orientation.

Screenshots below are from my phone.

i-4kK7ZKH-L.png

i-9Hq7sdB-L.png

--- Denise