Options

Why are some passworded galleries displaying a picture and some aren't?

mthibodeaumthibodeau Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited August 24, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
All of my galleries at the moment are password protected because I only put them up to share with the families, but, for some reason, one of the galleries is displaying a picture in the link to the gallery and the others aren't. I can't see that any of the settings are different in that gallery, so, I'm perplexed.

You can see what I mean here:
http://www.mariawritingwithlight.com/Galleries

I'd love to know how to do it either way -- display one image as feature even with a passworded gallery, but also, how to change Matthew's 1st Bday so it doesn't show a picture.

The answer is probably something obvious, but all tips appreciated.
Thanks!
Maria

Comments

• Options
    schatautschataut Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    BTW none of your galleries are showing any photos. To show the feature image enable the "External Embedding" (Gallery setting)

Hope this resolves your issue.

Surya
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Thanks for the tip. That's weird, though -- I can see the image in that birthday gallery when I'm logged out and visiting the page as a guest, and others have seen it from other computers, too. You only saw the locked gallery icon for all of them? I wonder why I see it, then. Now I'm more confused, but I think as long as I can set the feature picture, it will be fine either way (I just like to understand what's happening).
    Thanks again.
    Maria

ETA: So I changed the feature image in the birthday gallery (the first image in the gallery is the feature one, right?), and I changed the settings to enable external embedding, but the same thing is happening - I'm only seeing the image of the 3 people, not what I should be seeing (a picture of a poster). Also, I enabled external embedding in another gallery, and I'm only seeing the padlock icon, no featured picture. So, now I'm really confused and still need help. Thanks for any tips!
  • Options
    pignannypignanny Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Go into Organize Site, select the gallery which is showing the picture. Then go to settings for the gallery, on the basic tab under feature image click the X to delete the picture that is showing. This will not delete it from your gallery but will prevent the gallery from displaying an image.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    That helps, but I WANT it to display an image - just the image that I set, not a random one from the middle of the gallery.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    I got an answer from SM help, so, for anyone with a similar question, the answer is:
    By default, passworded galleries will show the lock icon. You can "Feature" a photo on a passworded gallery if you like. To do this, just go to the gallery and click Customize > Gallery Settings and you'll see a place to set a featured image here. Once you set the featured photo, that will replace the lock icon.

I definitely came kicking and screaming to the new SM, but, it's starting to make a lot more sense and I'm getting what I want. I do feel for those of you who spent a long time customizing your old pages for nothing, now, though.

Maria