Options

Asking too much, or wrong technique?

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited August 26, 2013 in Cameras
I've recently started shooting bicycle crit-type races with my D700. These guys and gals approach 35mph at times, so they are pretty quick. My track access allows me to the edge of the riding surface. yeah, it's CLOSE!

I've been trying to sit in a slow radius apex to the inside and shoot them as they pass at maybe 22-25mph coming pretty much at me. I have shutterspeeds in the 1/2000th range and focus set to "Continuous" mode instead of "Single".

And by far the vast majority are out of focus.

Am I asking too much of the D700 in "Continuous" focus mode and CH (burst/6fps) even with a high shutterspeed of this body?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    M38A1 wrote: »
    I've recently started shooting bicycle crit-type races with my D700. These guys and gals approach 35mph at times, so they are pretty quick. My track access allows me to the edge of the riding surface. yeah, it's CLOSE!

I've been trying to sit in a slow radius apex to the inside and shoot them as they pass at maybe 22-25mph coming pretty much at me. I have shutterspeeds in the 1/2000th range and focus set to "Continuous" mode instead of "Single".

And by far the vast majority are out of focus.

Am I asking too much of the D700 in "Continuous" focus mode and CH (burst/6fps) even with a high shutterspeed of this body?

Thoughts?

What lens are you using? What aperture are you typically shooting at?
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    24-70 f/2.8 about f/8 to 16. Most in the 24-50mm range
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    What AF settings are you using?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    thonsuthonsu Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    If I were you, I wouldn't use auto focus at all. I would set my focus distance manually based on the composition I want, and mentally mark that spot on the track. Then, when the bikes are about to hit that spot, fire off a burst.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Harryb wrote: »
    What AF settings are you using?

Single point of my choosing for the frame. Typically a landscape shot with the focus point to the high/right of center. I try to grab their head/helmet or chest.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    make sure you AF priority selection is set to A1 "Release + Focus"
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    I will check that when I get the body back. Sensor getting cleaned at the moment too.

I don't recall ever touching/setting anything like that so my assumption is I've been shooting a factory default this whole time. But I'll look it up and check when I get it back Wednesday. Thx.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    I will check that when I get the body back. Sensor getting cleaned at the moment too.

I don't recall ever touching/setting anything like that so my assumption is I've been shooting a factory default this whole time. But I'll look it up and check when I get it back Wednesday. Thx.

Laughing.gif, that could be it. I believe the default is set to "release" on the D700, it isn't a very useful mode for many people.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    On the contrary, I hate "Release + Focus" for Continuous focusing, but maybe that's just because I spend a lot of time clicking photos with my focus point maybe recomposed just slightly.

I only use Back-Button focus, as the Canon shooters used to call it, known to us as "AF-ON". For really erratic or fast subjects, or in really poor light, I like using dynamic focus point mode with the number of points set to 9.

However, when the going gets tough, honestly I just switch to manual focus and "lay in wait"... Wait for the rider to pass through your plane of focus, and click shots in rapid succession as they pass.

Also, what the heck aperture are you shooting at? At ~24mm you should be able to get pretty good DOF if you're willing to stop down. Your DOF isn't going to be that shallow anyways if you shoot wide open, so just forget that goal and stop it down to f/5.6 or f/8. This should give you a pretty sizable window of DOF for you to capture riders. I don't know the hyperfocal attributes of the 24-70 off the top of my head, but I'm betting that if you set focus to about 10-20 feet, you'll have plenty of in-focus shots.

It also helps if you get a battery grip and use AA batteries or a D3 battery, to hit 8 FPS.

So, in short, yes your camera should be able to handle focus tracking like that, if you use the right AF point method and stuff. However it may not even be the optimal way to shoot such a situation, anyways...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Thanks Matt. When I get it back from cleaning, I'll try half the evening one way and the other half a different way.

What's this 8fps you speak of? Is it as simple as popping in a different battery into my battery grip other then the EN-EL3? And would I need to also swap the in-camera EN-EL3 as well?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited August 26, 2013
    Thanks Matt. When I get it back from cleaning, I'll try half the evening one way and the other half a different way.

What's this 8fps you speak of? Is it as simple as popping in a different battery into my battery grip other then the EN-EL3? And would I need to also swap the in-camera EN-EL3 as well?

I believe that you need the vertical grip plus EN-EL4 battery (or AA batteries). (... or is it now the EN-EL4a?)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    In my exp with D300 and D3, i use AF continous set to release, and single mode set to focus. If they are coming at you fast. be sure to Keep you FOCUS point. usually the ONE single point is best I would aim at the front tire so your depth of field focus will grab your rider. make sure you exposure is good, so you dont lose any for underexposure. I would also recomment PRE focusing on a point in front of the rider as your starting point, and shooting a burst of 3-5 shots. many times the first shot of a burst will be softer than the rest. also at that speed, try to pan a bit with your riderat at 3/4 view . see if that helps. ( shooting horses is similar action) keeping your focus point nailed on your subject in Key !