Options

Erin's senior portrait

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited August 26, 2013 in People
C&C welcome. Some cropping and adjusted for color and exposure only, except where noted.

1. I have a tighter crop of this, but I just love the green at the top. I'll let her decide.
5D3_8260-X2.jpg

5D3_8262-X2.jpg

3. I'll see if I can clone out the birdhouse on the right.
5D3_8251-X2.jpg

4. Evening sun to my right
5D3_8245-X2.jpg

5D3_8239-X2.jpg

6. some retouching, as I had to bring her right eye back into focus.
5D3_8248-X2.jpg

5D3_8229-X2.jpg

5D3_8221-X2.jpg

5D3_8212-X2.jpg

5D3_8175-X2.jpg

11. I did some retouching here as I put it on her father's facebook page (he's a friend). Not necessarily my favorite, but I did it before seeing them all, as I wanted to give him a sneak peak quickly.
5D3_8173-Edit-X2.jpg

5D3_8172-X2.jpg

Thanks for looking!
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    #4 is the winner here for me. Good use of light, and she looks natural and relaxed.
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Thanks Michael.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    I'd soften the skin just a bit. I have had really good results with Portrait Professional. Nice work. The parents will be thrilled.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Thanks Josh.
    -Jack

• Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Four is the best, in fact I only see one picture although there are many.....In every shot the girl looks exactly the same, same forced smile, same expression.... A few more different expressions would have made a great set.

Never the less, a job well done.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Thanks D3. No argument there, she wanted to smile and I let her. Generally I'm not a fan of moody senior portraits and I haven't done a senior portrait in almost a year so I forgot to suggest hiding the grill. I mean, I appreciate moody portraits, but I think if a senior wants to be remembered as a happy person they should smile.
    -Jack

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    overall these are very nice! great light, nice backgounds, good focus, good use of DOF. Couple of tips:

1) in #1 straighten it up
    2) change up facial expressions (you could cut and paste her face in just about every shot..the expression is not bad, just repetitive)
    3) the head "tilt", I see many shots where her head is tilted "away" from her body..4,6,7,11. Typically you want try and achieve an "S" or "C" with the pose. So the head should be tilted in the same direction as the legs are..as in 12.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Thanks Qarik! Head tilt, interesting, I will try to remember that next time.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Also when doing standing shots for females..ALWAYS have them stand with weight on back foot and front foot should naturally come up just a touch and knee will bend a touch. This instantly gives more relaxed look..she already kinda doing it in 9.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    Also when doing standing shots for females..ALWAYS have them stand with weight on back foot and front foot should naturally come up just a touch and knee will bend a touch. This instantly gives more relaxed look..she already kinda doing it in 9.

Is this it?

5D3_8209-X2.jpg
    -Jack

• Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Is this it?

5D3_8209-X2.jpg

that's it I am done!:D
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    :Dbowdown.gif
    -Jack

• Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    that's it I am done!:D

Yep that is it, a working leg and a show leg as we call it. One little extra tip. Try to have the working leg away from the camera and the show leg the closest.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    Is this it?

5D3_8209-S.jpg

Actually, if you reverse that pose so her weight is on the foot furthest from camera (that's what I mean by "back"), it will knock 10lbs off her. Not that she needs it, but it's typically more flattering for any woman reversed from the way you have her.

Overall this is a nice set, and I'm sure her folks will love it. DOF and backgrounds are nice, and you had some pretty light to work with. Yes, she's resorting to the "school picture smile", but it kind of works for these; maybe next time see if you can get some real laughs out of the subject (although with some people it just doesn't happen - my most recent subject was like that.)

I'd probably brighten up the processing in most of them just a little - they're a little flat (although this monitor, although calibrated, displays slightly dark, so take that as you will). I'd say boost her eyes just a touch more (run a simple action like the ones from coffeeshopblog if you don't want to do it manually).

Hope that helps! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Thanks Diva!
    -Jack

• Options
    JaimorJaimor Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    I think I like the first one best. I agree with keeping the green in the shot, it makes it look very lively. Not crazy about the black shirt though. I also really like the close up of her face with the background blurred out. Very cute shot. Nice work.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    Agree with most of the posts here esp weight on the back foot. For future reference look at the difference in her arm when she has a sleeve and when not. Big difference. Tell your clients that I'm not sure of your body shape so wear clothes that you will look best in. No spaghetti straps, sleeveless tops if your somewhat heavy and no bright colors or bold patterns, they give the same results.

You have some nice work here. Congrats.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Thanks Charles and Jaimor! On second thought I guess I'm not digging the shorter sleeves in 10, but I think that off-white top is working for her in 1, 2, 11, 12, no? As this is my friend's daughter I already knew what she looks like, so I didn't think I'd have to caution her about sleeves or such. She is not heavy at all, just a bit taller than average, and not a waif. I guess you have to be stick skinny to work the no-sleeve thing on camera.

Does telling clients to wear clothes they will look best in really change what they wear? I would have thought that went without saying for a senior portrait, lol! I guess I can imagine kids not wanting to agonize over the clothing decision and just grabbing the first clean, unwrinkled thing in their closet they like.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    I guess I can imagine kids not wanting to agonize over the clothing decision and just grabbing the first clean, unwrinkled thing in their closet they like.

How old is your daughter?!?!? If she's not a teenager yet, then I can understand this mistaken perception; if she is, then you have an unusual girl indeed.

Seriously. The average teen girl spends hours agonizing over what to wear to the corner store and to school, so choosing what to wear for pictures is a HUGE BIG DEAL!

And yes, I've found clients welcome advice. I struggle against the sleeveless/strapless thing (even worse: one-shoulder evening gowns with froufrou on the one shoulder, making it almost impossible to find a decent angle!!); I don't outlaw it, although I'm always relieved when somebody has sleeves to work with!! I usually encourage clients to bring LOTS of clothes with them - would rather have too much than not enough choice.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Haha, my daughter is 8. I did think that teens and especially teen girls do agonize over their clothes for a senior portrait, so I was surprised to read that telling them to wear clothes they look best in is needed!
    -Jack

• Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Ah, they agonize.... but are often clueless as to what works in photos - they need to be educated! Most of them take general suggestions really well and will then put together an outfit according to the guidelines you gave them. :)