Hierarchy, Folders, and Tools

DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited August 27, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
I think that the additional levels of folders are a great addition to SM. That, along with the new tools to allow a user to organize photos into folders, is great.

It appears that many users are more interested in hierarchical organization that SM expected. I want to be able to have a slide show that shows a random assortment of slides not from a single gallery, but from all the galleries under a specific folder. I've also seen requests for a search tool that is limited to a specific part of the hierarchy.

I think that the developers at SM should think about enabling the use of hierarchies in all tools. Anywhere I specify a gallery, I'd like to be able to specify a folder, indicating a search of all subfolders and galleries. I think it would make more sense to think about how to do that globally, rather than separately for each component.

Thanks!

David

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited August 15, 2013
    Although it might not be exactly what you're looking for, smart galleries are a great way to use keywords to accomplish something similar. Again, not exactly what you want but if you wanted to use 'gallery 1', 'gallery 2', and 'gallery 3', you could create a smart gallery with keywords from those galleries to build a new gallery-using that for your slideshow.

I will also move this thread to the feature request forum so that your suggestions can be looked at.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    Although it might not be exactly what you're looking for, smart galleries are a great way to use keywords to accomplish something similar. Again, not exactly what you want but if you wanted to use 'gallery 1', 'gallery 2', and 'gallery 3', you could create a smart gallery with keywords from those galleries to build a new gallery-using that for your slideshow.

I will also move this thread to the feature request forum so that your suggestions can be looked at.

Thank you for your suggestion, and for moving the post to the correct forum!

I may try using smart galleries. It seems a bit odd to create one in every folder, but I guess I can create a hidden folder in some places, at least. It will be interesting to see how that interacts with the Lightroom plugin. I've seen lots of stories about smart galleries not behaving quite as expected.

My request is a little bit more than that, too. I'd like to be able to specify a folder anywhere that I currently specify a gallery, and have the infrastructure recursively trace through all subfolders and galleries under the specified folder.
    edited August 22, 2013
    I just ran across another instance of this. Access control (or, more precisely, access) does not appear to be hierarchical. See my note here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=239420.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Added Feature request for CSS flow down.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1901519#post1901519
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited August 22, 2013
    Thanks, Allen.
  • southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Smart folders to make random slideshow? Ummm some kinda issue going on between keyword and smart folders right now? How about a pure arndom show from all folders except hidden, pass word protected, etc.
    edited August 27, 2013
    Looks like allowing the selection of folders in the place of galleries would also address my issue with pictures from password-protected galleries in slide shows:
    Photos from password protected galleries do show to visitors in a homepage slideshow, if you've selected that specific gallery.
    We won't show images in the slideshow that uses Recent uploads to logged out users if they are in password protected galleries (though they do show to logged in owners).

From http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1222522-content-slideshow-content-block.