Options

CSS in Theme or Entire Site

BrotherWolfBrotherWolf Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited August 28, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
On a seperate thread Hikin Mike pointed out that he kept his CSS on his Theme whereas up till now I've used the Entire Site option. Is one way regarded as better than the other and does anyone know the pro's and con's?

Comments

• Options
    Sir_EagleSir_Eagle Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    Just a guess here, if you gave it in Entire Site you should be able to change your theme and not lose anything.
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    BrotherWolf (or others), did you add a CSS content area to your Entire Site layout, or just click on the Active Theme from Entire Site? I've done most of mine in the Active Theme and have changed Designs several times; my Theme is available to apply as desired.

Andy
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited August 27, 2013
    I've also been making my site-wide changes in the active theme.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    Only if you are using the same theme everywhere and not ever going to switch themes
    any changes for the one theme will work. But if you decide to use another theme in the
    future none of the tweaks will be show in the new theme. Any CSS tweaks that you
    want no matter what theme should go in "entire site", "all folder" or "all galleries".
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Only if you are using the same theme everywhere and not ever going to switch themes
    any changes for the one theme will work. But if you decide to use another theme in the
    future none of the tweaks will be show in the new theme. Any CSS tweaks that you
    want no matter what theme should go in "entire site", "all folder" or "all galleries".

Allen: Is the following the flow you're still using (from a different thread)? And is the CSS in that block minified or preserved?
    On any page click customize > customize site
    Click "entire site" in fold out drawer
    Look for "CSS APP PLACEHOLDER" on page.
    If none, make sure "entire site" is selected and go "ADD CONTENT BLOCKS" at the bottom,
    click HTML & CSS and drag a CSS block out to page.
    This is where site wide CSS would go. Paste that CSS in the box.
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    BigRed wrote: »
    Allen: Is the following the flow you're still using (from a different thread)? And is the CSS in that block minified or preserved?
    Every level can have a separate CSS box. You night have to drag add it from the right though.
    It was "minified" at one point but they seem to keep how you enter rules now including /* comments */.
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    It was "minified" at one point but they seem to keep how you enter rules now including /* comments */.

now that is good news
    one line of half a mile long was a bit confusing
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    basflt wrote: »
    now that is good news
    one line of half a mile long was a bit confusing
    I copy out each of the CSS's and paste into notepad and save it. That way I always have my formatted version.
    Using WebDev when I find what tab relates to which CSS that saved copy helps.
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013

So when you say "Any CSS tweaks that you want no matter what theme should go in 'entire site'" (etc), you mean add a CSS content block to the desired level and put CSS in there? I don't see a "native" CSS location for Entire Site. I'm not missing something, am I? Also, in my case the CSS content blocks appeared to add white space to the viewable page.

I personally intend to keep putting the vast majority mine in the Theme with appropriate comments (I don't intend to change themes frequently), primarily to avoid the white space issue and so I know where all my CSS is, and that it will be applied consistently.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    aschendel wrote: »
    So when you say "Any CSS tweaks that you want no matter what theme should go in 'entire site'" (etc), you mean add a CSS content block to the desired level and put CSS in there? I don't see a "native" CSS location for Entire Site. I'm not missing something, am I? Also, in my case the CSS content blocks appeared to add white space to the viewable page.

I personally intend to keep putting the vast majority mine in the Theme with appropriate comments (I don't intend to change themes frequently), primarily to avoid the white space issue and so I know where all my CSS is, and that it will be applied consistently.

Thanks!
    On any page in the flyout drawer at the top is "entire site" above "all folders" etc. You can highlight it
    then drag a CSS block over.

I've seen what seems like white space and have tried setting the CSS boxes to zero top and bottom
    margins but not sure if that really works. Bout the only real solution is put them at the page bottom.