Options

Jade . Surf Themed Maternity Session (full blog post!)

michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
edited August 28, 2013 in People
So a little background story. Jade's husband Dan is deployed to Iraq. They were high school sweethearts, and they have a kid coming while he is overseas. I did a session before Dan left which you can see here. Jade's life revolves around the sea. They named their child Morgan, which means "fighter of the sea" (Irish meaning). We shot this early (6:30am), and this is what we were able to capture.

1. 4913691_orig.jpg
2. 8258265_orig.jpg
3. 1568047_orig.jpg
4. 3983674_orig.jpg
5. 1743480_orig.jpg
6. 7892228_orig.jpg
7. 942748_orig.jpg
8. 1463468_orig.jpg
9. 5600071_orig.jpg
10. 583683_orig.jpg
11. 2333541_orig.jpg
12. 3231109_orig.jpg

The next two images are symbolic to Dan serving overseas:

13. 7224831_orig.jpg
14. 578846_orig.jpg

15. 6260609_orig.jpg

I really enjoyed this one. This shoot was challenging for me, but I definitely learned a lot from it.
wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Great stuff. Like them all.

Question... what focal length are you using to shoot these on a 35mm?

I know its a wider focal length but you make it work well for your style.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Great stuff. Like them all.

Question... what focal length are you using to shoot these on a 35mm?

I know its a wider focal length but you make it work well for your style.

Thanks Alex! These are actually shot on a 5d mkii, and I'm using Canon's 35L lens (35mm focal length). I really love the distance between me and the subject. It's enough to direct, carry on interesting conversations, and get them to feel comfortable with me. On this shoot, I was up to my knees in water, and ridiculously sandy, but it was worth the end result.
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Thanks for the info Michael. I have a 17-35mm f/2.8 for my D700 that I absolutely love. It's an amazingly tack sharp and clear lens. I just haven't explored its use at all with portraiture. I want to, I just haven't gotten around to doing so. I like how you use it so it's got me wanting to try. I know it's a no-no focal length for the traditionalists but I don't mind that at all.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Creative, beautifully executed, and personally meaningful to the subject(s). I call that TOTAL WIN iloveyou.gifthumb.gif

PS Love the ones under the pier with the striped shadows. Fantastic catch!
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    Great series, some I do like very much others less. I have been in ISAF myself several times together with the US forces. So I can feel with the shots.

To take the two extreems:

Pic 14, is very strong although details on the tag are removed ( I understand for public viewing). But I look at it as it was there. clap.gif

Pic 2, If one does not read the text... at a first glance one does not see that she is pregnant or if the girl was just a bit heavier or pregnant. And because of that it looked a bit strange. The slanted horizon doesn't work for me.

But overall I believe that they will be more then happy with your work clap.gif
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    See? I told you they were awesome!
  • Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    Always been i fan of your processing! Im sure #14 will strike a cord w/ the expecting dad!