Options

5 minute, Glenn inspired, "Lets grab a couple shots before we head out to work" set.

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited August 30, 2013 in People
Just as the titles says... I had just got done viewing MG's "Pat Session" and we had 5 minutes before we had to head out for the day. So I grabbed my camera and the wife had a "quickie" in our backyard. :rofl

No modifiers, just what God gave me and I tried something different in post so be gentle:

jen%20-%20morning-4-X2.jpg

jen%20-%20morning-3-X2.jpg

jen%20-%20morning-1-X2.jpg

jen%20-%20morning-2-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    OK... woke up this morning and look at these again, I realize why I stick to my simple post approach. I suck at this kind of thing.

I redid the photos as I normally would process them... curves adjustment and sharpening with a touch of vignette.

jen%20-%20morning%20reg-4-X2.jpg

jen%20-%20morning%20reg-3-X2.jpg

jen%20-%20morning%20reg-2-X2.jpg

jen%20-%20morning%20reg-1-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Dude these are great! My favorite is 1 from the set. I actually like the original processing you have. What did you do differently? And you don't suck! It took me a long time to get my post processing to look unique. I still make changes with every shoot, and I'm never fully satisfied!
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    For my taste these are simply average. Hate to say that. The tone of the background overpowers your subject. Your subject placement in relation to the sun is just super for the sun to be a second accent light. Dropping the exposure a stop or even two would drop the intensity of the bkg and then adding fill flash or reflector these could have been the WOW factor. Again just an opinion. Had a class with Craig Minielly and he beat that into our heads.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    For my taste these are simply average. Hate to say that. The tone of the background overpowers your subject. Your subject placement in relation to the sun is just super for the sun to be a second accent light. Dropping the exposure a stop or even two would drop the intensity of the bkg and then adding fill flash or reflector these could have been the WOW factor. Again just an opinion. Had a class with Craig Minielly and he beat that into our heads.

No argument from me Hack. I know that these weren't great and that they could be so much better with fill from another light source. I guess since they were more 5 minute snapshots than anything, they should have stayed on my puter. rolleyes1.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Never get tired of looking at your subjects.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    You know, I have to say if these were seen "cold", and from anybody else, I don't think people would say they look like "quick snapshots". . I think they ARE more casual than a lot of your shots, they are a different style, but the posing is great, nice expressions and even if the light isn't "perfect", it's very pleasing to the eye. Especially #1 - think of that shot with a 16 year old, and it's close to a perfect senior portrait.

Just food for thought :)
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    No... I get it and I truly appreciate the honesty.

I did learn/realize something from this quick session... I need to explore the photo opportunities in backyard more. We spent almost the entire weekend enjoying the weather and I've realized there are a good possibilities to use different areas of my backyard as backdrops. The way my backyard is positioned, I have areas that have perfect light in the morning and in the afternoon whether I'm looking for open shade or sun. Some are good to go as is, but other areas I want to add some "props" to build out little vignettes. Similar to how Hack has on his property.

Alex

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    All I can say is... JEALOUS. I so wish my yard were useable. Or even that there were somewhere easy to use in my neighbourhood, but there really isn't (at least not without driving). I need to use the house AND outside, and 2/3 of the year it just won't work. I need somebody to throw about $100k at me so I can build a garage/workshop, and have the entire backyard professionally landscaped rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Indoor/outdoor possibilities must be nice. Im sure you can find tons of angles and backgrounds in various parts of the day in that beautiful yard.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Diva, I know a fellow who works out of his house. He hangs a bkg on the outside wall of his porch, used the overhang for a shaded area, stands in the yard and gets some really nice work.......looks odd as heck but it does work.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Diva, I know a fellow who works out of his house. He hangs a bkg on the outside wall of his porch, used the overhang for a shaded area, stands in the yard and gets some really nice work.......looks odd as heck but it does work.

I've beenddoing exactly that recently, Hack! Problem is - as always with this tiny house - lack of space. The porch is up several steps so unless I get myself a BIG ladder, I'm still limited on how far back I can get. I LOVE the light in the guaranteed open shade, however, and have figured out a way to fudge the background (if I tell you what it is you will laugh - SO SO macgyver, but it seems to work, doesn't require me moving or setting anything up, and is already out there anyway :D). Still can't easily do full length, but some ok seated shots as long as I shoot shallow enough depth of field (which I tend to do anyway, so that's not a dealbreaker for me).

These recent shots were all taken on the porch at different times of day.

i-NB5r37J-L.jpg

i-4H8fw4S-L.jpg

i-2s8jC6b-L.jpg