Options

My name - Could it be a problem?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    OhEddie wrote:

PineapplePhoto, - Eddie H. Photography doesn't pop for me and in the future I want my name to blend with my .com name and EddieHPhotography.com is a bit much. I would like to keep it simple.

You could just use eddieh.com ..... nice and simple.....

A local photog is useing marieq.com.....works for her.....Ofcourse she is branding everything marieq though...marieq wedding....marieq seniors......ect.....

I am getting unclejonsphoto.com going......Not sure how cheessy that is......rolleyes1.gif
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • Options
    caleeforniacaleefornia Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 26, 2008
    Studio Name Suggestion
    Past experience has shown people will mispronounce and misspell your company name in ways you cannot imagine. Keeping it simple is the best approach.

If you want to use a name that can be adapted to most any type of photography, I suggest the name be kept "neutral" but distinctive.

My suggestion is

Edwards Pictures

for the following reasons:

1. It can be used for weddings, sports, news or basically any other type of photography, including expansion into video.
    2. It's easily said by clients in all fields - as in "Did you schedule EDWARDS yet?" or "Have you called EDWARDS?"
    3. The domain name edwardspictures.com is not yet taken.
    4. It's still using a portion of your name.

:D
  • Options
    OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Past experience has shown people will mispronounce and misspell your company name in ways you cannot imagine. Keeping it simple is the best approach.

If you want to use a name that can be adapted to most any type of photography, I suggest the name be kept "neutral" but distinctive.

My suggestion is

Edwards Pictures

for the following reasons:

1. It can be used for weddings, sports, news or basically any other type of photography, including expansion into video.
    2. It's easily said by clients in all fields - as in "Did you schedule EDWARDS yet?" or "Have you called EDWARDS?"
    3. The domain name edwardspictures.com is not yet taken.
    4. It's still using a portion of your name.

:D

Thank for you reply :D And your very 1st one too wings.gif

I agree, simple is best. But I'm looking for something with more snap, crackle, and pop, than EdwardsPhoto. I do like how you pointed out how a name can be used conversationally. Thanks
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Options
    joviphotojoviphoto Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    OhEddie wrote:
    I agree, simple is best. But I'm looking for something with more snap, crackle, and pop, than EdwardsPhoto. I do like how you pointed out how a name can be used conversationally. Thanks
    So, Oh! Eddie! Snap? Yep! I like that with the simple logo of a circle (O) with a big fancy but readable E in the middle of it.

BTW, I just noticed you and I are running with identical equipment down to the flash. I have an 800 in addition to the 600, and I built my own hot dog computer. Chips? Nah, I'm doing low-carb. Pass the Meat!
  • Options
    gbeargbear Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    Arnold Schwartznegger, in his autiobiography, lists a number of principles he recommends - 6 or so, as I remember. (Remember, this guy knows some stuff - he arrived in the US with a funny looking body, an unprounceable name, a thick Austrian accent, and by relentless work, self-promotion, and intelligence, made roughly $100 million, transformed body building from a freak show to a business, and was twice governor of CA. Yes, failures and stupidities too, which he admits. His first principle is : "Turn your liabilities into assets" - he turned the freak body into a movie asset, and even the accent (". . .Ah-ll be baaack. . .").

I can't suggest exactly how your name can be transformed into an asset for your site, but if you want to use it, and think about it in the positive manner Mr S suggests, I bet you CAN make it an asset !

Bill Wilson (gbear) http://bill-wilson.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    Short, Sweet and simple is best. With all the names floating out there, it may be hard to find one that fits that basic criteria.

Why? If you choose a play on words name, people have a hard time remembering it... even something simple like "Clix" will cause issues. A long name can be hard too. I constantly have issues because I made the mistake on a long play on words and followed it up with a .net.

My site; On the Wall Photo (www.onthewallphoto.net) is hard for folks to remember.. they always want to say it's "Off the Wall"? and the .net is a killer, if it's not a .com it makes it harder. It has taken some time for me to establish enough of a presence that by searching my name; Lee Wiren in google usually brings up my site as options, so that helps, but it took a while.

Purposfully mispelling a word in your name because it's snappy sounding I feel (from experience) is the wrong way to go, it may work for you, but historical discussions regarding website names shows that they are less likely to be remembered as much as a simple and short .com name.

I agree that Hades (or Hade's) may have some negativity that would keep folks from wanting to visit. Oh Eddie Photography sounds cool, but may also be forgotten... they may remember "Eddie" and "Photography", but will likely forget the "Oh" part. Steer away from any gramatical marks like hyphens, commas, underscores, exclamation points and such - they will NEVER remember to add that in the name.

What should your name be then? Well, that's hard to say. I would suggest taking a long hard look at your target demographic, find something that they all have in common as far as it may relate to what they might envision in imagery in their heads.... is there a common idea/image that you can correlate in your name, something that would relate to them and make it easier for them to think of your website and imagery when they think of the idea/image in their heads..... leave a memorable bread crumb for them so that when they think of the connecting idea, it also makes them think of you. Rodeo crowds would be more likely to recall your website name if it was say.... Spurs photography rather than Oh! Eddie Photography.....

I am sure you have heard much of this already or thought of it, but I hope this opinion helps. Good luck on your name and business.
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    gbeargbear Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    One more comment re Lee Wiren's comments. Once I spent 30 years in the pay auto parking business. It was named (not by me, I was a minor employee) - named
    Allright Auto Parks - I don't know how many hours I spent on the phone saying " no, that's Allright - all one word - Auto Parks - that's p-a-r-k-s, NOT p-a-r-t-s) Every contact with another business was a struggle. So the comments about using a PRACTICAL name probably are much more important than using one that plays on your name. Mr Wiren is correct - pick one that is servicable, easily understood, hard to misunderstand, etc. If the business prospers everyone will remember the name. Pick a name that will help identify you and what you do. And that won't have a built-in misunderstanding factor ! And best wishes - Bill Wilson (gbear).
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    OhEddie wrote: »
    call it "Hades Photography" ... or go with something generic like "Moon River Photography"
    Well, it's better than "Go to Hell Photography", but not much!

What about "Styx River Photography"? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    I'm generic? :cry
    Nonsense - you're as young as you feel! thumb.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 30, 2013
    gbear wrote: »
    Arnold Schwartznegger, in his autiobiography, lists a number of principles he recommends - 6 or so, as I remember. (Remember, this guy knows some stuff - he arrived in the US with a funny looking body, an unprounceable name, a thick Austrian accent, and by relentless work, self-promotion, and intelligence, made roughly $100 million, transformed body building from a freak show to a business, and was twice governor of CA. Yes, failures and stupidities too, which he admits. His first principle is : "Turn your liabilities into assets" - he turned the freak body into a movie asset, and even the accent (". . .Ah-ll be baaack. . .").

I can't suggest exactly how your name can be transformed into an asset for your site, but if you want to use it, and think about it in the positive manner Mr S suggests, I bet you CAN make it an asset !

Bill Wilson (gbear) http://bill-wilson.smugmug.com/

I think you deserve a prize for reviving the longest resting thread. Five years + 1 month since the last post before yours must be record-setting! clap.gif