Canon ST-E2 + 580EX II - Manual control

MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited September 1, 2013 in Accessories
Hi,

is it possible to control the light output of a 580EX II in manual mode from a ST-E2?

Martyn

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Only insofar as the ST-E2 triggers the flash to do anything, I think.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Sorry dont have a 580, but on a 430, when you put it in slave mode, it reverts to ETTL. Not possible for it to shoot in Manual as a slave.

For Manual flash, you need some ebay triggers
    edited January 11, 2010
    cmason wrote:
    Sorry dont have a 580, but on a 430, when you put it in slave mode, it reverts to ETTL. Not possible for it to shoot in Manual as a slave.

For Manual flash, you need some ebay triggers

Ah yes, that's correct - you jogged my memory!

Neil

• MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    Canon ST-E2 + 580EX II - Manual control
    NeilL wrote:
    Only insofar as the ST-E2 triggers the flash to do anything, I think.
    Neil
    I think you are correct.

I haven't used the ST-2E for a while but I do remember that when I bought it I thought you could control the output power of the flash remotely while in manual mode (on the flash).

Played with it this weekend and cannot seem to do this. It looks like you can only control the ratios under TTL II when using multiply flashes. To change the power level while in manual mode I have had to do it on the flash.

So, when using the flash in manual mode, it seems the ST-2E is no better than the cheap ebay triggers.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 11, 2010
    Of course you can use a 580EXII as a master to control remote flash levels in manual mode. Plus, it'll operate three channels as well. IOW, the ST-2 is kind of a crippled POS. No excuse for it, really. :nah
    edited January 12, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Of course you can use a 580EXII as a master to control remote flash levels in manual mode. Plus, it'll operate three channels as well. IOW, the ST-2 is kind of a crippled POS. No excuse for it, really. :nah

Yes, but can you use the ST-E2 to control output of a slave 580EXII in manual mode, is the question?

Neil

edited January 12, 2010
    NeilL wrote:
    Yes, but can you use the ST-E2 to control output of a slave 580EXII in manual mode, is the question?

Neil

Nope, you can only trigger it. Output must be adjusted directly on the flash units themselves.
    edited January 12, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Nope, you can only trigger it. Output must be adjusted directly on the flash units themselves.

If you trigger a single flash with the ST-E2 that flash is locked in ETTL mode, manual mode is not available. I think cmason is correct in that.

Neil

• MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    NeilL wrote:
    If you trigger a single flash with the ST-E2 that flash is locked in ETTL mode, manual mode is not available. I think cmason is correct in that.

Neil

I don't think this is the case (but I will check). I had the flash in manual mode (flashing M). Set the camera on manual and then played with the flash until I had a decent exposure. Changing the camera settings didn't seem to effect the flash output and the flash certainly did not get close to a proper exposure on many shots.

In ETTL, when the camera is in manual the flash power will change to suit the camera settings - this is how I normally use it.
    edited January 12, 2010
    NeilL wrote:

Not true. You simply put your flash in M Slave mode, and it stays that way. The ST-2 doesn't tell your flash to change it's mode.
    edited January 12, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Not true. You simply put your flash in M Slave mode, and it stays that way. The ST-2 doesn't tell your flash to change it's mode.

By M on the flash, we mean adjust the power output manually, such as 1/8 or 1/64 power. This mode is not available when using the ST-E2. Don't be confused by the "M" on the flash display, this is simply the Zoom in Manual, the flash also indicate ETTL.

As for why an ST-E2? I have one because it made much better sense for what I needed: two off camera flashes. I purchased a 430EX and a used 420 EX for far less than a 580EX. Added an ST -E2 and now I have two off camera flashes and a good on camera flash. With the 580 and a 430 or 420, I would have had only one off camera flash, with the 580 mounted and not flashing or providing center light, which I did not want. Of course adding two 430/420 to a 580 is better still, but I am not made of $$. Its cheaper and more flexible to go with a ST-E2 and cheaper flashes.

580 EX II = $400
    430 EX II= $250
    ST-E2= $220
    420EX= $125(used)

580EX + 430EX = $650, but only one off camera flash
    580EX+ 430EX+420EX= $775 two off camera flash
    ST-E2+430eX+420EX= $595 two off camera flash

As you can see, in my situation, ST-E2 was the least expensive and most flexible choice.
    edited January 12, 2010
    cmason wrote:
    By M on the flash, we mean adjust the power output manually, such as 1/8 or 1/64 power. This mode is not available when using the ST-E2.

Not true. It works fine, as long as you don't mind adjusting the power-level at the flash itself. At least that's the way it works with my 580EXII's. Your mileage may vary. You can't adjust the level at the ST-2 like you can using a 580EXII as a master. However, you CAN trigger remote 580EXII's that are set to manual flash MODE.

EDIT: So what you're telling me is that the 430EX doesn't allow you to set manual flash mode and be a slave at the same time. Correct? The 580EXII does allow you to do this, and that's all I know.
    edited January 12, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    EDIT: So what you're telling me is that the 430EX doesn't allow you to set manual flash mode and be a slave at the same time. Correct? The 580EXII does allow you to do this, and that's all I know.

Correct
  • hjukhjuk Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 26, 2013
    I tried this last night with my Canon 6d and 430 EXII and the EXII most certainly works in manual when acting as a slave to my ST2.
    edited August 26, 2013
    hjuk wrote: »
    I tried this last night with my Canon 6d and 430 EXII and the EXII most certainly works in manual when acting as a slave to my ST2.
    Just for grins I checked the 430EXII user manual, and it agrees with you.

"WIRELESS OPERATION (E-TTL OR MANUAL)
    When the 430EXII is set to this option it will function as a
    remote slave flash unit controlled by a master flash unit
    such as a Canon 580EX II or ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter."

Oh, and welcome to Dgrin hjuk. This thread is over 3 years old, but it's nice to correct the info just the same. thumb.gif
  • hjukhjuk Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 28, 2013
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome. Sorry to revive an old thread but the usefulness of resources like this live on and their sell by date is often far past that imagined by the authors!
  • ShawadeShawade Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 1, 2013
    Old thread but solution maybe
    When the 580EX is in slave mode, hold the mode button for 2 seconds and the 'M' will start to flash. You can then press the button at the center of the dial and select the flash output. In my case, I leave it at 1/1 and then control with the manual settings on the camera. Works for me with a 5D MKIII