Options

Cyndi in Japan - The Dance

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited September 2, 2013 in People
The BilCyn World Tour visit to Japan had two basic sets, the tea service that got slammed a couple of weeks ago and a traditional Geisha dance. Thank God for Google and You Tube for research.

Anyway, the major complaint in the tea service was flat light so lets see if going to a one light scheme and allowing falloff to camera right makes people happier.

p1664127134-4.jpg

p1690355815-4.jpg

p1752906034-4.jpg

p1860312869-4.jpg

p1735933224-4.jpg

p1733167765-4.jpg

7.and a couple of headshots to end our tour visit
p1743958209-4.jpg

p1765678731-4.jpg
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    I so want to do this shoot with my wife. I've looked at ordering a Kimono many times but have never pulled the trigger.

Of all of these, I think #5 is my favorite. That said, I wish her hair was more straight. Did you consider a wig?

Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    The Kimono was easy Alex. I can give you a couple of places including one for a just over the butt shortie that would be perfect for Mrs. Cuban.mwink.gif

But TRY to find a Geisha wig for less that $300.00. My ace art director/stylist is a crazy good shopper and she couldn't find one so we used Cyndi's natural plus some extensions.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    so I wake up and actually have the energy to get online today and lo and behold Cyndi... yea

2,5 and 8 are my favorites. I think the others are nice but there seems to be something in her facial expressions that bother me.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Geisha wigs are easy (especially since you're near NY): find a company (even a school) that has recently done Madama Butterfly and ask if you can borrow or rent for a few hours.... :)

2/5 with a sidebet on 3 here. This is a nice set thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Thanks all.

Tin, I'm glad we could help your energy level. Cyndi knows your a friend and I'll tell her she did good.

Diva, not a bad thought. NExt time I'll remember theatre companies. MEanwhile, I may have a cardiac event over you liking TWO (and possibly 3) of a set.

This will be it for a while people. I leave tomorrow AM for a cruise (sans models) for a week and my next shoot is Sept 9 BUT maybe I can go visit the landscape forum when I get back.
    Tin - the next Cyndi/WOrld Tour is Ireland on Sept. 14 so stay in touch. See y'all soon.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    With the word 'Dance' in the title I wondered if there'd been scope for some shots with a tad of motion blur ?

... or is it that the real gig is so slow moving and stylised that there isn't any to speak of :)

pp
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Hi Paul. Thanks for chiming in.

From watching the real dance on you tube, the Geisha move very slowly and deliberately. Grace and slow movement are the objective.
    It is a highly stylized dance that takes years to perfect. These are accurate for the concept.
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    Nice series, and the one light is better. Although I am afraid that I will have to make the same comment, it s however based on my own taste . So do not pay to much attention to it.

I am missing depth in the pictures, a great bokeh would have done it . P.S " Bokeh" is Japanese word.
    The girl although with good colors and sharpness tends to disappear in the background as it is so busy.
    But I guess that is what it is, if it would have been less sharp (background) it would have decoupled the dancer and created more depth.

The headshots, I do like mainly because of the expression and the composition with a unsharp background. That is what I meant above.

Overall I have one observation, I notice lens deformation in all shots. Especially in those where there are vertical lines from the framework. A small issue to correct. I would apply those correction since the background is so prominent.

But for the rest , it is great set...... well done...
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    Bilsen wrote: »
    Hi Paul. Thanks for chiming in.

From watching the real dance on you tube, the Geisha move very slowly and deliberately. Grace and slow movement are the objective.
    It is a highly stylized dance that takes years to perfect. These are accurate for the concept.

Yep, as I suspected - my lack of knowledge on the subject.

A few years ago on the occasion of my younger daughter's 21st 'bash' at a local village hall, I took some pics using both long exposure + flash and multi-flash with my 550ex (just read about latter in the manual and wanted an excuse to try it)

Thoughts of these still make me wonder what a (single image) stack of several exposures - that captured the start / finish of an action, together with a few intermediate frames would look like for a subject such as this.

Would probably be better with a tripod setup and greater separation from bg (as previously mentioned)

Whilst I realise that such an image probably wouldn't fit your remit for this, it might well end up being something a bit 'different'?

pp
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    Thanks D3 and Paul.

I'm in an airport waiting to get home but will talk more tomorrow.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    I think if the background in the full length shots looked similar to number seven, I would be full out in love with this set.

I do like the lighting of the subject BUNCHES better, but still want more pop in the full length shots. Couple of stops darker with the background and less in focus.

But as you're fond of saying...

I don't get out much anymore.

FWIW...

NEVER sign a long term contract! You will regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life. (that was done in my best Bogart and I've been told it's pretty damn good)
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    Thanks Bryce. It's always good when you drop in.