Map It please

BhagaVideoBhagaVideo Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
edited September 9, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
One of the big things I was looking for was displaying where in the world my pictures were taken. SmugMug did have that in the legacy version. Each of my galleries uses the map feature. I would like to see that come back. Right now I am using the map of popular photos on my Browse page.
Harold

Comments

• missedbeatmissedbeat Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    I agree, bring back the Maps!!
  • AlexWildAlexWild Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    +1000! Bring back mapping, and let us map individual photos, too.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited August 6, 2013
    Maps aren't gone.

When customizing your gallery, you'll find the Map content block in the "Discovery" section of "Content".

Does that help?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    Maps aren't gone.

When customizing your gallery, you'll find the Map content block in the "Discovery" section of "Content".

Does that help?
    It's completely useless in a gallery. I dragged a map widget into a gallery that has photos just from this
    state and I got results from all over the US.

There are 159 Geo-tagged photos in this gallery my purpose is to show where just these were taken.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • QBiCQBiC Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Agree. Not only for an entire gallery, but also for a single image a "map this" button would be nice. I thought (but unsure) the "legacy new smug" (the one they threw away to start over) had this map as an extra tab on the Image Info popup.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    QBiC wrote: »
    Agree. Not only for an entire gallery, but also for a single image a "map this" button would be nice. I thought (but unsure) the "legacy new smug" (the one they threw away to start over) had this map as an extra tab on the Image Info popup.
    On the legacy site in a gallery if at least one photo had Geo data the "Map This" button would appear.
    The button would open a map page with only the Geo tagged photos in this gallery. There was a 200
    photo limit though.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • QBiCQBiC Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    I was talking about the "new smugmug" they never released, the one that lived in the Darkroom for a while, where we could have a look (yes this was a long time ago ;p).

Next to the global map of the entire gallery, I believe it was able to show the geo-location on a small map for one image in particular by opening the info box of that image, where you could find an exif info tab, but also a map tab. I am hoping this feature returns too. It makes it easy to quickly check the location of one photo, without having to go through the entire gallery-map looking for that one image.
  • kimbomackimbomac Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    I love the new map widget that I can put wherever I want, but I wish it could accept input from a specific gallery, folder (and sub-folders) as well as the 'Current Location' option.

It would be so cool to be able to place a map in all galleries in, say, my holiday pages, so that each holiday will display the map that relates to that holiday gallery only. Ditto for a holiday folder that may have multiple sub-folders... Displaying all the map pins for that folder and its sub-folders would be really neat.

And more than 200 pins would be great too!
    Kimbomac

(FeaturePhotography.net)
  • leronelerone Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    +1
  • James LyallJames Lyall Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    On the legacy site in a gallery if at least one photo had Geo data the "Map This" button would appear.
    The button would open a map page with only the Geo tagged photos in this gallery. There was a 200
    photo limit though.
    Allen, I second this!
    In legacy SM, this was a splendid tool applicable at gallery level unlike the Map page which addressed the whole site and showed a limited number of geo-tagged images.

I recall a promise somewhere, from the powers that be, indicating that "Map This" will eventually be included in the new SM. I fear that we shall have a long wait!
  • BajoghBajogh Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 3, 2013
    kimbomac wrote: »
    i love the new map widget that i can put wherever i want, but i wish it could accept input from a specific gallery, folder (and sub-folders) as well as the 'current location' option.

It would be so cool to be able to place a map in all galleries in, say, my holiday pages, so that each holiday will display the map that relates to that holiday gallery only. Ditto for a holiday folder that may have multiple sub-folders... Displaying all the map pins for that folder and its sub-folders would be really neat.

And more than 200 pins would be great too!

+1.
  • moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    A version of the map has been shipped. Please refer to this post: http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1909170&postcount=31 , and contribute comments/questions there as I'd like to keep everything in one thread