Options

Figure this one out

D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
edited September 3, 2013 in People
Photography is a strange thing, I was out trying to shoot the best possible picture.
Paying attention to the sharpness, color and composition and once in while a shot in between as fun and not really part of the shoot. During a lingerie shoot I took such a shot just for fun as one of the models stood in the laser light. Guess what ?
This picture was the most popular after the shoot and on social media..... I can't figure that out as nothing is right on it, but the models they all love it.....maybe I am getting to old for this job....:wink
i-zRX8km8-XL.jpg
A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer

Comments

• Options
    DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    I think the answer is simple. you were more focused on the photo itself than what people that see it might think. Seem's to me lot's of people do that. They post a really beautiful photo and ask people to tell them what's wrong with it or post one and someone volunteer suggestions to better it. there was a thread on here a while back about weather you liked or didn't like a photo, that was great. The mechanic's of photography really only mean something to photographer's. I don't take great photo's and sometimes I'm amazed that I have one people actually like.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    I can see why people like this.

The model's image with all those semitransparent lines and reflections
    overwhelm any technical flaws.

Good job.

Sam
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    What do you mean by "nothing is right"? I can't judge sharpness at this resolution, but other than that, I'm not sure what you're not liking.....
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    It is something very different and that strikes a chord with the viewer. At least once I"m sure we're all told our photos look alike after viewing so many. Different done well is a good thing.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    Pretend it was deliberate, shut up, and take your credit! I think it rocks.

Sometimes the grab shots outshine the planned, staged, engineered shots. Everyone is relaxed and the magic happens.

Furthermore, I think this shot is something special. You should encourage them to use it in a prominent way.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    I've been a guitarist for 36 years. Like photography there usually is a technical recipe for the art.However, it doesn't necessarily have to be that way to appeal to people .Yes it may have to be technically correct to satisfy season veterans in the particular discipline , however if it's pleasing to the eye to the masses it's good! my first thought of seeing it was very cool ! ( i'm a novice photographer)
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    How did a person put it once, " I don't know art, but I know what I like".
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    Pretend it was deliberate, shut up, and take your credit! I think it rocks.
    Different done well is a good thing.
    Like photography there usually is a technical recipe for the art.However, it doesn't necessarily have to be that way to appeal to people .

Agree on all points! D3, technical excellence is the means to the end, not a destination. Pretend somebody else took this shot -would you still be surprised it got a good response? It's got a ton of energy, really cool lighting and engages the viewer. Sure, it's "edgy" rather than "classic", but that's ok too! Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, and I think that's what you've got going on here.... :)
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    TXS everybody, what I take with me from this is : I am an old nurd stuck to technology and technique (hahaha) but with some hope for new things...
    All your answers were an eyeopener to me.... thanks again for spending time on tit
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Your never too old to do something if you still ask "how did you do that". That is my forte, I steal and twist to make it my own. I find it difficult to think that all new ideas are original but instead rehashed and twisted of old ideas.
  • Options
    alissaspiecesalissaspieces Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 3, 2013
    I am new to the forum and new to photography...but aren't all rules made to be learned, mastered and then broken when appropriate? This is a really cool shot! Love it!
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    It is a spectacular image regardless of what tech criticism you or others my give.

Kinda fits into my Like/not like thread. Regardless of the tech deficits,who really cares? It works as a total image.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen