Options

Blurred Thumbs in Gallery

rezrez Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited September 14, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Ive been waiting for the bug that causes a random pic to open when you go to a gallery (rather than just seeing your thumbs load) to be fixed. Now to my dismay my thumbs that were razor sharp are now soft and blurred. I was excited about the new Smugmug but am frustrated that a month later there seems to be more bugs then fixes. Please can someone tell me whats going on? It doesn't make sense staying with you guys, if I cant even be happy with the quality of my site. :nah

www.richmartinezphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    Hi Rez,
    Do you refer to the links in your navbar? For the landscape, people and flora items, you've pasted in a link to a specific photo in a gallery. That means the gallery will open that photo. If you'd like to just the gallery open, you would need to update your navbar accordingly. For example, for the landscapes item, instead of linking to a custom url:
    http://www.richmartinezphotography.com/Landscapes/Color-Landscapes/4573184_4tpqdt#!i=814472938&k=dSZ2Hvw
    change the link to setting "page I chose" and then locate the gallery in question via the "choose page" setting.

That's the same thing you've done with the "photo art" item in your navbar and as you can see, that just opens up the gallery without going to a specific photo.

In regards to your concern with sharpness of the New SmugMug photo tiles, here's a direct comparison between a photo tile from your gallery:
    New%20SmugMug%20photo%20tile.png
    and the Legacy SmugMug thumbnail:
    SmugMug%20Legacy%20thumb.jpg
    for this photo.

Other than the obvious size difference, I'm not able to see much of a difference.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    They look fine to me. Using Chrome 29
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2013
    Still blurred
    Hi Rez,
    Do you refer to the links in your navbar? For the landscape, people and flora items, you've pasted in a link to a specific photo in a gallery. That means the gallery will open that photo. If you'd like to just the gallery open, you would need to update your navbar accordingly. For example, for the landscapes item, instead of linking to a custom url:
    http://www.richmartinezphotography.com/Landscapes/Color-Landscapes/4573184_4tpqdt#!i=814472938&k=dSZ2Hvw
    change the link to setting "page I chose" and then locate the gallery in question via the "choose page" setting.

That's the same thing you've done with the "photo art" item in your navbar and as you can see, that just opens up the gallery without going to a specific photo.

In regards to your concern with sharpness of the New SmugMug photo tiles, here's a direct comparison between a photo tile from your gallery:
    New%20SmugMug%20photo%20tile.png
    and the Legacy SmugMug thumbnail:
    SmugMug%20Legacy%20thumb.jpg
    for this photo.

Other than the obvious size difference, I'm not able to see much of a difference.

Thanks! I will change the url. As for the blurred thumbs, Im not saying the new is worse then legacy. They looked amazing with the New Smugmug then went soft. Im watching the gallery load up sharp and within a second, it goes soft, its a big enough change where its very visible as it happens. The difference IS very noticeable and annoying. When it looked so beautiful, then to have that happen. Im using safari 6.0.5 with 27inch iMac 10.8.4. Something is going on. Hopefully it can be fixed or tell me whats happening on my end.

Thanks

Rich

www.richmartinezphotography.com
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2013
    rez wrote: »
    Thanks! I will change the url. As for the blurred thumbs, Im not saying the new is worse then legacy. They looked amazing with the New Smugmug then went soft. Im watching the gallery load up sharp and within a second, it goes soft, its a big enough change where its very visible as it happens. The difference IS very noticeable and annoying. When it looked so beautiful, then to have that happen. Im using safari 6.0.5 with 27inch iMac 10.8.4. Something is going on. Hopefully it can be fixed or tell me whats happening on my end.
    Rich,
    Sounds like you use browser zoom. Make sure the zoom is set to 100% or your browser may resize all the content on the page, which of course is not desirable.
    cmd+0 should reset the zoom. You may also find the option in the view menu.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2013
    Still not sure what is happening
    Rich,
    Sounds like you use browser zoom. Make sure the zoom is set to 100% or your browser may resize all the content on the page, which of course is not desirable.
    cmd+0 should reset the zoom. You may also find the option in the view menu.

Im not using the zoom feature when Im seeing the problem, but went ahead and zoomed in and the reset using command 0 ,and still soft? I went ahead and reset Safari, still soft. I checked my Google+ (its the best quality and closest to my smugmug gallery in appearance) and Google+ is razor sharp. Not trying to be a pain but I know smugmug standards are some of the best. So if this is happening to more then just me, I would think it would be an issue that needs to be resolved. At this point its just driving me nuts not knowing what is causing this. I was so in love with the new smugmug, I used to just go to my site and click a gallery and and take in the beautiful new layouts and was so happy the way my images looked. Now I click and and hold my breath hoping the thumbs stay sharp. eek7.gif
    Anyway I hope this gets figured out. I mean it just doesnt make sense that this is only happening here to me.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2013
    2 cents - have you tried looking at your site with another computer system? Like some others above, your thumbs stay sharp for me. (Mac Powerbook and Chrome). Post your problem at the SmugMug helpdesk giving them the pages to look at, and your computer type, opsys, browser, etc - include the version numbers.