Options

"visitor view"?

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited September 5, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
what happened to the old "visitor view" function? i liked being able to see what my changes would look like to visitors. having to log out to see, then log back in to edit is a crashing pain in the ass!
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited August 11, 2013
    I never used visitor view in the old smug, always used two different browsers. And I continue to do that in the new smug.

The equivalent of visitor view in the new smug is Preview.

If you'd like to see your site in a logged out state use a second browser. For example, if I'm making changes to my site using Firefox, I publish the changes I want to check, then I open a different browser (Chrome or IE) to view my site.

--- Denise
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    that'd work, i suppose... kinda clunky, though...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Sorry but how on earth is it "clunky"? Just use the 2nd browser, logged out - and see your site. Boom-done.
  • Options
    afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    That doesn't work if you haven't Unveiled yet. Changes need to be live to see in a logged out second browser.
  • Options
    cinedependentcinedependent Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 11, 2013
    I would also like the viewer mode back. It was instant and elegant.
  • Options
    picturebikepicturebike Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    i agree the client view was very handy and as above in new smug without unveiling i cant tell what my site will look like to the public...
  • Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    squirl033 wrote: »
    that'd work, i suppose... kinda clunky, though...

Far from clunky, it's actually a good idea. You need to know that visitors to your site who use a different browser get the same view as you on your browser. Ideally you should check IE as well. But IE is a bad, bad business...:uhoh
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    alantsczoalantsczo Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    Catch 22
    let's see now...I want to "be sure" before I go live to all my customers, but have to go live to "be sure" - with no way back. That's asking for a huge leap of faith into the unknown...I NEVER could have done that in legacy - it would have been a catastrophe. Why should I think I can do it now? I'd love to get on the new system, but right in the middle of my busy season w/a large learning curve is sure not the right time. I'm trying to figure out if/when it will be.

sigh...
    Bill
    Mountain Shadows Photo
    http://www.mountainshadowsphoto.com/
  • Options
    pileofprintspileofprints Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Sorry but how on earth is it "clunky"? Just use the 2nd browser, logged out - and see your site. Boom-done.

In Google Chrome you just open a "New Icognito Window" to get visitor view. In Safari, I assume what they call Private Browsing will work.
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    crap
    preview hides top of screen
    preview is meant for viewing changes

the only way ATM to view visitors view = to log 0ut