Options

Great Smoky Mountains - Fall 2005

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited November 3, 2005 in Landscapes
Well I just returned from my three week photo trek in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I'm one whipped puppy. I experienced it all from days in the 80's, to sub-freezing and even six inches of snow in the higher elevations of Clingmans Dome.

Here is a sampling from the trip and the rest can be viewed at: Click on the images for the EXIF info.

As always - comments and suggestions are welcome.

The Tipton House in Cades Cove in the early morning mist.

42526089-L.jpg

Turbine grist mill in front of the Reagan House on the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail in GSMNP.

42526142-L.jpg

Snow on road to Clingmans Dome, GSMNP.

42526182-L.jpg
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    Hi, Dixie, I wondered where you went.

I really like the Cades Cove photo, or the first two photos and I am not crazy about Cades Cove (just a quirk of mine I guess, I have been there with a gazillion tourists: you get the time of day right).

Cool about the snow!

Nice photos. As I said, I like the Cades Cove one (s). Best ones I have seen you do of that place, IMO.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    Great stuff Dixie. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    Great work there. Those sunset/rise shots are stunning. The Tipton house and waterfall shots make me very jealous. Thanks for sharing your trip.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2005
    Thank you, Ginger, Phil and Tristan.

PS to Ginger, I will send you a PM later to let you know what happened during my last trip to Charleston. headscratch.gif
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    Great shots! looks like you had a good time, and the post processing looks very nice,

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Great shots! looks like you had a good time, and the post processing looks very nice,

Sam
    Thanks Sam. I've started playing around with nik Color Efex Pro 2.0 and liking what I see so far. I still rely most heavily on my settings in the RAW conversion and curves and levels once in PSCS2.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 1, 2005
    Very nice series of images Dixie!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    StefStef Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    Wow!
    What else can I say, except I want to be able to do that? ne_nau.gif

Love them all!
  • Options
    T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    We go to the smokies every year at least once and stay near Townsend and Maryville. These are great. We sat in quite a bit of traffic last time we went in the Fall. This year we were there in June...I think the fall is definitely prettier :) Fabulous shots.
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    edited November 2, 2005
    Your pictures are always so perfectly saturated, so perfectly contrasted, so perfectly composed...

Wonderful. Honestly. clap.gif
  • Options
    shamanshaman Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Again Dixie, pure excellence!!!clap.gif
    We decided not to go there this Fall, the peak color is running very late this year and we had scheduling problems...
    We hiked closer to home, took a 3 day weekend and explored Eastern Kentucky. The weather and colors were pretty darn good.
    I always love to see your Smokies shots, it's my favorite hiking/photo spot!
    PEACE ~ WISDOM

• Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Dixie when you were in Catalocchee you were close to me here in Maggie Valley. Wish you would have let me know you were coming we could have grabbed a bit to eat somewhere :)
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 2, 2005
    WOW, Dix!

Fantastic series of shots in that gallery. You're an inspiration. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    I want to thank everyone for their very kind comments. They are appreciated.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Marvelous images Dixie. I have been using the Nik Color Efex Pro for awhile no and its my favorite plug-in.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    Dixie when you were in Catalocchee you were close to me here in Maggie Valley. Wish you would have let me know you were coming we could have grabbed a bit to eat somewhere :)
    Wish I had known that you were that close. I went through Maggie Valley three times during the two and a half weeks I was there. I stayed in the Townsend area in a camper and made my day trips from there.

Last Saturday, I actually ate breakfast at about 8 AM at Joey's in Maggie Valley. I had to fortify for the six mile hike with about 30 pounds of camera bodies (2), tripod (1), lenses (3 - and 2 of them were BIG telephotos), and a couple of snacks and four bottles of water along with a coat and a sweat shirt (32 degrees when I started) which ended up in the backpack (67 degrees by the time I reached the far end). I hiked from the gate on Big Creek Road by the Hannah Cabin, the Little Cataloochee Church, and the Cook Cabin and exited near the Palmer Chapel down in the main Cataloochee area.

I haven't processed the photos from the hike, but I'll post a few when I get them done. I especially like the way the ones of the Cook Cabin looked in RAW.

I usually make a post about my trips in case anyone wants to join in, but I've been on the road so much since August that I may have forgotten to do so about this trip.

I'm really sorry that we didn't get a chance to get together.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Marvelous images Dixie. I have been using the Nik Color Efex Pro for awhile no and its my favorite plug-in.
    Thanks Harry. I just started using the nik filters, but I really like them. I bought the complete set.

Are you ready to put up with me the first week in December? I remember from a previous post that your son was home for a visit during November and didn't want to infringe upon that time so I adjusted my schedule to go to Florida the first week in Dec.

Do you mind PMing me a couple of suggestions for motels in the area of the wetlands? We can make plans to get together for a few sessions while I'm down if you have the time. I haven't checked for sure, but in addition to a few sessions in the wetlands, I also want to shoot a few of the lighthouses which I believe are within 50 miles north and south of where you are located.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    LadyhawkVALadyhawkVA Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Beautfiul photos. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    Thanks you Ladyhawk. Your comments are appreciated.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie