Options

When did annual pricing go up to 250 bucks???

skywalkerbethskywalkerbeth Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited September 14, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Good Lord. I've had this site for 5 years and haven't sold a thing (not that I've tried). Merely having a place to host photos can be done pretty cheaply by Flickr. When did the price go from 150 a year to 250?

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 7, 2013
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited September 7, 2013
    ...had this site for 5 years and haven't sold a thing (not that I've tried). Merely having a place to host photos can be done pretty cheaply by Flickr.
    If you're not selling photos you might consider changing your account to the Power level or to Portfolio (which gives you the ability to sell but is not as flexible as Business).

Feature differences can be seen on this page - http://www.smugmug.com/features.

--- Denise
  • Options
    skywalkerbethskywalkerbeth Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2013
    Thank you for the link. I'm surprised I don't see 250 dollars there anywhere. It goes from 150 to 300. I wonder why I was quoted 250.

Also, I only paid 150 at my annual renewal last year, which was October.

Can I toggle back and forth between types, year to year, without losing the work I put into the website?

Thank you again, that pricing link is a relief.

ps. looks like Power would give me everything I currently have (including my own domain) but for the commerce part, which doesn't matter.

I guess then the Q is can I toggle back and forth from year to year.

Thank you so much!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited September 7, 2013
    Thank you for the link. I'm surprised I don't see 250 dollars there anywhere. It goes from 150 to 300. I wonder why I was quoted 250.
    Can I toggle back and forth between types, year to year, without losing the work I put into the website?
    I suspect you were grandfathered at a lower price.

You won't lose any customization work between Power and Portfolio and Business accounts. If you have watermarks applied to your photos now you should remove them before downgrading to Power (which does not have watermark support). Also, if you have priced your photos you might want to keep a record of your prices if you plan to drop to Power and then to upgrade to either Portfolio or Business since you will need to reset prices in that case.

Keep in mind that if your galleries are available for sale and you downgrade to Power, there will not be any profit coming to you. If you don't want to sell your photos make sure you turn the ability to purchase photos off in your galleries.

--- Denise
  • Options
    FlounderFlounder Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2013
    Hi everybody,

Thanks for helping Denise, and you were right on it.

The pricing is $250 because of being grandfathered. We gave our existing customers a price break.

The customization will NOT change when changing from business to portfolio, or business to power. ALL of it should remain in place!

In your Account Settings > Me > Subscription section you can toggle between account levels. You can upgrade or downgrade at anytime. Help with upgrading can be found here:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/94303

If you have any questions or problems, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Nick Wilson
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2013
    And with the non-commerce site, you can add a BUY page that tells folks to email you which image they want, size, etc and you can do your own fulfillment. Can even add a link so they can pay you using PayPal. It's a thought!