Adobe offoring Photoshop CC and LR5 for $9.99 per month

CoreyDCoreyD Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited September 17, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
Looks like Adobe is scrambling a bit?

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativelayer/introducing-the-photoshop-photography-program/?scid=social11524994

Adobe stated that owners of Photoshop CS3+ will be eligible to receive Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 together for US$9.99/month with a 12-month commitment.

Still, after one year then what happens to pricing??? And do you own LR???
The shortest distance between two points is........grossly over rated!
http://www.deardsphotography.com

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited September 4, 2013
    Dang, that tips the scale for me. I'm in. thumb.gif
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    kdog wrote: »
    Dang, that tips the scale for me. I'm in. thumb.gif

Sure the price is right, (for now).

What happens when there is a glitch, all of Adobe's servers go kaput, or for one reason or another you no longer can authenticate your service ether short term or long term?

Will the scale still be tipped when the cost is doubled or tippled?

I have no problem renting a tool for a short term project, but am extremely resistant to renting a tool I use on a daily basis.

Sam
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    This is certainly quite the experiment that Adobe is doing huh? This isn't unheard of, though, the licensing of software for time periods, its just not common in the consumer space. I've been in the semiconductor industry for almost 25 years now, in the area of chip design. Most of the tools we use on a daily basis that are absolutely critical for designing chips is licensed on a time basis like this. So much per month for so many "seats". And some of these licenses are very expensive, even by corporate pocket book standards.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    I will probably jump on this as I am still using CS3 (just new enough to qualify!).

Sam: The program resides on your computer and you simply update monthly. I don't think server crash is a real worry (It cant be worse than Smugmug!).

The program is not available yet at this price. Funny they would announce it and not make it available. I figure at this rate, an update every three years is about break even - plus always having the newest edition.

Now I have to go buy a CS5/CC for dummies to figure out all the stuff I ignored when I was only using CS3!
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited September 8, 2013
    Sam wrote: »
    I have no problem renting a tool for a short term project, but am extremely resistant to renting a tool I use on a daily basis.

Sam
    I would be especially wary of using the LR catalog on a subscription rather than perpetual license basis. You would need to keep paying just to find your old pics, never mind re-processing them. Nope, not for me until they come up with some exit point that gives you a perpetual license on what you have. :nono
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    Peeved myself, having recently upgraded in order to move to Apple platform at a cost of a several hundred dollars. This new deal would have been much sweeter.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2013
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.