Options

Pacific Northwest trip help

ProfessionalProfessional Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
edited September 8, 2013 in Location, Location, Location!
Hi all,

I am planning if can get my vacation from work as soon as possible to visit USA again, and i decided i will take that direct flight to Seattle so i ca be on the North/West states there, i am thinking i would like to have about 18 days up to 3 weeks if possible, so my few questions:

- Which areas i should be around there for photography?
- How much is the transport if available to national parks around there?
- Can i get some restaurants with international cuisine because i am not much with meat food specially with forbidden meat and trying to have very very similar food to what i eat in my country [Arabian, indian, middle eastern or turkish...etc]

- If you can help or give some guides, are there some cheapo hotels there so i can move around as cheap as possible?

I am thinking to be in Oregon and Washington states ad not planning to go to another many states very far, even California i m not looking for to visit which is not that much far by flight, but i am thinking to use buses or trains and those lands transports than air.

I appreciate any help here to plan my trip at best i can.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited September 2, 2013
    By soon, if you mean a few months, you should know we are heading toward winter. In general, things around the National Parks tend to slow down in winter. Food in most parks tends to be supplied by concessionaires and is more American in selection. In the bigger cities (like Seattle and Portland) finding something authentic and delicious from almost any cuisine will be a lot easier to find.

Washington State has a couple of really nice National Parks. You can read about these parks, Olympic National Park or Mount Rainier National Park on the NPS Website.

There are public transportation options listed for the too.

Oregon has a variety of cool National Parks to see. Oregon National Parks.

I know there are a few folks who live in the Pacific Northwest with more info. Hopefully, they can chime in and give you some better, more local, detail.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    By soon, if you mean a few months, you should know we are heading toward winter. In general, things around the National Parks tend to slow down in winter. Food in most parks tends to be supplied by concessionaires and is more American in selection. In the bigger cities (like Seattle and Portland) finding something authentic and delicious from almost any cuisine will be a lot easier to find.

Washington State has a couple of really nice National Parks. You can read about these parks, Olympic National Park or Mount Rainier National Park on the NPS Website.

There are public transportation options listed for the too.

Oregon has a variety of cool National Parks to see. Oregon National Parks.

I know there are a few folks who live in the Pacific Northwest with more info. Hopefully, they can chime in and give you some better, more local, detail.

Thank you very much for your post and help.

Well, the period/time i was planning to go all depends on when i can get off from my work, i will apply this week, but i have 2 times:

1. 16 September 2013 - 12 October 2013
    2. 20 October 2013 - 18 November 2013

We will have a religious occasion in my country by 14 Oct up to 17 October, so i try to avoid this time, i want to travel for 18 days or 3 weeks at most as i said, so either before or after that occasion, but if i go after it will be nearly the winter and the weather will get colder and may get into rains much and less sunshine, so i will do my best to make it during Sept-Oct if possible.

The 2 places you mentioned from Washington state i listed already in my must/should visit there, i also have 2 more NPs in my list either from Washington or Oregon, but i will be very happy if i can get to 3-4 NPs over there during 16-18 days, i just want to have some shots from each and i am be done, but i must look for transports/accommodations/food to make this happen.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    September/October is the cusp of sorts. The days start getting shorter and the weather cooler. It's also nicer as you may see fall foliage.

Worry less about the food. There are a variety of pre-packaged veggie meals if it comes down to that. Tripadvisor.com and Yelp.com can be of some assistance in finding veggie friendly places to eat.

If you're able to rent a car, it'll be easier to get around. Plus, you can sleep in it if you want to hit the trail for a sunrise shoot.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    September/October is the cusp of sorts. The days start getting shorter and the weather cooler. It's also nicer as you may see fall foliage.

Worry less about the food. There are a variety of pre-packaged veggie meals if it comes down to that. Tripadvisor.com and Yelp.com can be of some assistance in finding veggie friendly places to eat.

If you're able to rent a car, it'll be easier to get around. Plus, you can sleep in it if you want to hit the trail for a sunrise shoot.

Thanks again.

I will look at the links you posted for veggie food.

Well, i know renting a car is always the best if i want to go anywhere on certain time, because even with public transport i may not able to stay somewhere for the time i look for and also may not go to where i want always, they will have stops on popular locations but the are always on move and limited by time with tourists. But i said i am afraid to drive overseas, maybe i need 2 days at least to drive in one city there and then i will have the courage to drive out to NPs.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2013
    You could rent a car and travel to a couple of cities, taking time to learn a bit about driving here-you'll need an International Driver's License-but otherwise, it's about the same as driving in the UAE. I can understand if your desire not to drive though I do believe you'll have a better trip f you can.

I meant to also include a link to a group called Green Tortoise Tours. Timing might not be as good as you'd like but their tours give an idea of what people want to go and see.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2013
    You could rent a car and travel to a couple of cities, taking time to learn a bit about driving here-you'll need an International Driver's License-but otherwise, it's about the same as driving in the UAE. I can understand if your desire not to drive though I do believe you'll have a better trip f you can.

I meant to also include a link to a group called Green Tortoise Tours. Timing might not be as good as you'd like but their tours give an idea of what people want to go and see.

Ok, i will see if i can do it this time and can rent a car.
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    Go on your earlier dates if at all possible. Getting into October gets wet and cold, will be a huge difference from the UAE. Fall in the NW will have cool and clear days and occasional rain. Bring or buy a raincoat when you get to Seattle.

I would not worry about driving. If you can drive in the UAE you can drive here. Bring a GPS or iphone and you are all set. Public transport won't get you to the parks and things you'll want to see unless you go on a tourist bus, and they will be on a tight schedule. Rent a small car from Avis or Enterprise at Seattle airport with a weekly rate and they are pretty cheap.

In Seattle take the ferry over to Bainbridge Island and walk around the town. Also hang around the city. If you go east into the mountains go to Snoqualmie Falls. Good hiking trails in the hills if you are a hiker. Some of the old railroad lines are torn up and now trails and they are fairly flat since they were for trains.

Then head south 3 hours to Portland and kick around there. Oregon has a nicer coastline for whale watching, beach walking, photography, etc. Washington has amazing beaches way out on NW tip of peninsula, but that is a good drive from the city and takes some planning.

From Portland you can also head east up the Columbia River. In the Columbia Gorge just 30 miles from Portland you will find days of photography and hiking. Many waterfalls and trails. Search on Dgrin here for Columbia Gorge and you'll be amazed. If you head further south on I-5 you can hit Crater Lake, cut over to the east side of the mountains and head back to Portland. That would be a good 3-4 day loop with lots of stops for site seeing.

If you do wait until later keep in mind the east side of both Washington and Oregon are much drier. If its raining in Seattle head east over the mountains to Leavenworth (looks like a German village) and then Spokane. Then south into Oregon. East side of states is more ranch and cowboy country.

Don't worry about food. Both cities have Arabic/Persion/Lebanese restaurants. There are also a lot of vegetarians in the NW so you can easily avoid the American steak dinner or huge hamburger. Lots of seafood also everywhere in the NW.

Good luck and post some pics.