Options

Control order that homepage photos are returned

j.e.f.fj.e.f.f Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited September 8, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I'm using a keyword search to populate the photos I'm featuring on my home page. Anything that has been tagged with the keyword "feature" will show up. Problem is they always show up in the same order. ideally I'd like to be able to have the order be random so that each time someone visits my home they see different images at the top. Failing that, I'd like to set an explicit order so that the images compliment each other a little better than they do now. I'm using the horizontal collage layout.

Is this possible?

Thanks!
- Jeff

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    j.e.f.f wrote: »
    I'm using a keyword search to populate the photos I'm featuring on my home page. Anything that has been tagged with the keyword "feature" will show up. Problem is they always show up in the same order. ideally I'd like to be able to have the order be random so that each time someone visits my home they see different images at the top. Failing that, I'd like to set an explicit order so that the images compliment each other a little better than they do now. I'm using the horizontal collage layout.

Is this possible?

Thanks!
    - Jeff
    The best way I know of to work around this is to create a new unlisted gallery. Set it to contain the photos with your desired keywords using the Smart Gallery features. Then, you can either set the sort order or you can custom order the gallery. Then, specify this "virtual" gallery as the source of your slideshow images. Since the gallery is unlisted, it won't show to the public in your normal gallery listing. This gives you way more control than just specifying keywords to the slideshow, but still can select the exact same images without making any copies.

FYI, I don't know if the collage layout entirely preserves display order as it may reorder things in order to make things line up and fit. But, the above tip should at least get you close.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Gobo FongoGobo Fongo Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    Is there really no way to randomly order a gallery?
    Check out my website at: www.billibilli.com