Options

The Power of Fill Flash

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited September 9, 2013 in People
I recently posted a couple different threads with pics of my muse in our backyard. One series was with only natural light, no fill of any kind and the other set was with fill light added. We took some photos again this morning and I thought it would be interesting to demonstrate the huge difference flash can make and with little time and effort added.

This first shot I took with no flash. I had her stand in an area of open shade with just a hint of sun hitting the right back of her head.

Jen%20geometric-3-X2.jpg

Now this second shot is basically the exact same setup, same aperture, same shutter, ISO, focal length, same processing, same everything, EXCEPT that I fired a single flash head in a 48" octobox that was stationed on camera right.

Jen%20geometric-2-X2.jpg

Huge difference, I think. Now, I could have done a much better job exposing her face in the first pic but then that would have overexposed the background. As shot, I exposed for the background. I then adjusted the flash power so that the exposure from the flash was balanced with the aperture I had set.

One of things, during the learning process, that made the light bulb go on for me was to think of balance when using fill. By balance I am referring to the light in the background being balanced with the light in the foreground. There are different ways to achieve balance. Instead of lighting the foreground I could have tried to lower the light in the background to match the exposure in the foreground. Now that's a lot more difficult than adding fill light right but it can be done. They do it in movie shoots all the time. No matter how you do it, the objective is to get the light balanced.

Another thing that clicked with me was the concept of working with what is out of my control and then adjusting what I can control. I can't control the sun, well... not easily. So this means I have to meter and set my exposure for the ambient background light. I can then adjust my flash power until I achieve proper exposure with the parameters set for the background exposure.

Another thing I can control is how much sunlight is hitting my subject. Again, very hard to overpower sunlight with flash. So the easier option is to place the subject in open shade... or at the very least, place them with the sun to their back.

Put the sun to their backs? Isn't that exactly the opposite of what I've always been told to do? This was so counter-intuitive to me when I first started out. But yes, put it to their backs when shooting with flash. Again, it's easier to control the power and direction of your flash than it is to control the power and direction of the sun. The important thing is to look for any light spill on their face, arms, body because your flash will not overpower it those spots.

I really suck at explaining this stuff but thought I give it a try since I know how confusing this all was to me initially. Hopefully some of you find this helpful. I welcome others to chime into the discussion with their own tips or tricks.

I should mention that it took me about 7 minutes (I timed myself LOL)to get the octobox open, on the flash head, light positioned and metered correctly before I was ready to shoot. Just wanted to illustrate that this doesn't have to take long or a lot of effort to do.

Here is another shot with the same setup.

Jen%20geometric-1-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    mmmmm..lovely light. Though I don't know if i would say you used fill flash..I would say that is your main light? fill flash to me is just a very small pop of light just to lift some shadows.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    mmmmm..lovely light. Though I don't know if i would say you used fill flash..I would say that is your main light? fill flash to me is just a very small pop of light just to lift some shadows.

Hmm... you may be right Daniel. Not completely sure to be honest. However, I've always considered this fill flash because I am, in fact, filling the shadows, no?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    I'd agree with Daniel on this one - the flash is your key. It's "fill" in the sense that you have some ambient going on, but I think here you really used the ambient as a rim/kicker rather than the flash as the fill. ne_nau.gif They're really nice shots, don't get me wrong (love 'em, in fact) but they almost look like studio against a backdrop rather than outside with a bit of fill to boost the face.

regardless, they're neat shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    fill flash to me is typically on camera flash set at -3EV. You have most of the light as ambient but you may have some shadows under the nose or neck..fill flash just pops those shadows a touch. I would say most of your light is the flash (it's gorgeous and well done).
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    It seems like its a bit semantical, but arguing over words is always fun... :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fill_flash

This sounds an awful lot like what Alex described.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2013
    Dread... you've confirmed how I always understood fill flash but I also know that "fill" is also referred to in the way Daniel and Diva discuss. Hmmm... I wonder if it's convention to always consider sunlight as the key light, regardless of how it's used?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    "To use fill flash, the aperture and shutter speed are adjusted to correctly expose the background, and the flash is fired to lighten the foreground."
    As shot, I exposed for the background.

I think you actually underexposed the background slightly. Sure, you've got some bright highlights, but it's actually pretty dark. You then used flash to light the subject.

When I think of filling, I expose correctly for the scene in general, but then use the flash to add where the light can't get, if that makes sense.

Also, what was your shutter speed? Just curious. That will affect how the flash/ambient balance is working together (here it's flash dominant, IMO)

PS 7 minutes to haul the light out there, open the octo and position it. So much work! rolleyes1.gif Sure, for a full session - absolutely (I do it all the time). And I know you were doing this specifically to play with this setup, so I get it. But for "real life"....why not just use the shoe flash and bounce it off something nearby? :D

This is a GREAT discussion, btw - thanks for starting it, Alex!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    Played around again this morning. Have more to share and add to the discussion. Will try at lunch.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 4, 2013
    Great shots, although the bright band of cement through her head in the first shot detracts. Last one is much better, but I still could live without that light band.

I think there's a confusion between the similar terms of "fill light", versus "fill flash". What you have there is fill flash. A fill light is used to soften contrast from an additional main light. The sun is definitely not a main light in this shot as it's not at all on her face.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    try this again with a speed light into an umbrella or thru a small softbox. Using high speed sync is a joy. F stop for your subject and shutter for your bkg. Nice work by the way.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    try this again with a speed light into an umbrella or thru a small softbox. Using high speed sync is a joy. F stop for your subject and shutter for your bkg.
    That works too, but I'm curious why you're suggesting that here.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    kdog wrote: »
    Great shots, although the bright band of cement through her head in the first shot detracts. Last one is much better, but I still could live without that light band.

I think there's a confusion between the similar terms of "fill light", versus "fill flash". What you have there is fill flash. A fill light is used to soften contrast from an additional main light. The sun is definitely not a main light in this shot as it's not at all on her face.

Yeah... that makes sense. Fill flash vs. fill light that is. I've always understood the term Fill Flash as I explain it above. Fill light is a different term all together I guess.

And yes, the highlight bands in the BG are a bit distracting and I think it's why Diva felt the BG is underexposed. It's actually not, IMO, it's just that there is quite a bit of range between the dark water and the bright areas of the pool decking.
    try this again with a speed light into an umbrella or thru a small softbox. Using high speed sync is a joy. F stop for your subject and shutter for your bkg. Nice work by the way.

Will definitely try that Hack. Actually, this morning I did play around a bit with a speed light but not in a modifier. Simply with it on the hotshoe with a stofen diffuser. It's been quite a long time since I shot this way so I wanted to experiment a bit with what I can accomplish with a simple setup of a camera and speedlight. Not sure how they turned out yet since I've yet to see them on a monitor but we'll see. I will share in this thread no matter what to add to the discussion.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    So here are a few more shots while playing and experimenting this morning with "fill flash".

So this first shot is with the same setup as the shots above with a few minor tweaks. First, I moved the light over towards the side more to create a rembrandt light pattern. This creates a bit more shadow on the face and body. It was my attempt to see if I can eliminate the "cutout backdrop" look that Diva mentioned about yesterday's shots. I think Diva will find the catchlights a bit more "natural".

Jen%20rembrandt%202-1-X3.jpg

With this next shot, I wanted to see what I could do with just a speedlight flash mounted on the hotshoe. I set the speedlight to -2EV (guessed, no science) and took the shot. No bounce or anything, just a straight on flash shot. Not bad I think. Doesn't look "flashy" to me. The flash added some catchlights to liven the eyes and just enough fill to her face. Notice I have just a bit of flare from the sun in this shot, which was behind her. The flash from the speedlight was not enough to overpower the flare from the sun.

Jen%20speedlight%20-2%20EV-1-X3.jpg

Now here in this shot, same as above but I moved her just a couple inches forward to get some sunlight that was peaking over the roofline on her hair. I don't remember exactly but I think I also bumped the flash power up just a hair to -1.7EV on this shot. I think just those minor adjustment really made a huge difference.

Jen%20speedlight%20-2%20EV-2-X3.jpg

This last shot, I moved back to my Alien Bee flash head with the 4' octobox but this time, I moved the box a bit more in front of her for a loop pattern. She's in the same position as the previous shot with the sun acting as the kicker/rim. Couple things to note... first, notice there is much more contrast in this shot. That wasn't done in post. It's because the power from the larger flash head was able to overpower the flare from the sun and added contrast. The second thing to note is the warmer tone of the light on her face. Again, WB was done exactly the same between shots. The difference, again, comes from the power of the flash but also the slight difference in color temp of the flash head itself but also the octobox.

Jen%20octobox-1-X3.jpg

I'm really curious to hear what you guys think of these shots and which you find most personally appealing. I like them all and was quite surprised at the quality of shot one can get from a speedlight on camera.

Please ask any question or information you'd like. I'm hoping to experiment more and learn through these exercises so feel free to contribute.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    My favorites of this set is one and four. Liking four the best.

To me, four has a "studio" quality. The others while nice, again to me, are done well, evident that the person taking them really knows how to use his/her camera, but lack the richness of number four.

One through three may be more in line with current styles, but I sometimes question exactly why current styles are what they are.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    These are all really pretty.

You know, I think one thing to consider here is a different modifier; the octobox doesn't have much spill, so it focuses the light tighter than a big shoot-through umbrella would. I think, taken overall, that's what gives these a more studio feel (that even more than the catchlights). See what happens if shoot through a big umbrella; I'd just be interested to see how it affects the overall "look"

These are really beautiful images, each and every one - it may be a "technical exercise", but they are some killer shots! thumb.gif

PS Love the way you've balanced the lightsources in #4. Just lovely.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    Thanks guys.

Bryce, I also lean towards the look of 4. I think there is a richness and polish to it that the others don't have. As you said, it may not be the exact look that people shoot today but like you, I also wonder what set that trend... was it purposeful or just a lack of lighting skills?

Diva... I used to shoot a lot with umbrellas. I will try that next, maybe tomorrow morning. I will use a 43" shoot through to see what affect that has. Maybe a happy medium between shots 3 and 4? We will see.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2013
    kdog wrote: »
    That works too, but I'm curious why you're suggesting that here.

Not exactly what you mean.....if I stepped on Alex's thread I apologize.....my reasoning was using hi speed sync to use the shutter to bring down the bkg brightness and let the flash expose the subject.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2013
    Not exactly what you mean.....if I stepped on Alex's thread I apologize.....my reasoning was using hi speed sync to use the shutter to bring down the bkg brightness and let the flash expose the subject.

You did not Hack. I hoping to spark discussion in this thread so we can explore different techniques. I want to learn as much as I can.

And to be honest, I haven't really used HSS that much. I do imagine it would come in handy for those days when you have not choice but to shoot during the day when 1/250 is not going to be fast enough to get the background exposed without stopping down the lends and sacrificing creative DOF.

BTW, here is a shot from yesterday morning. Did have a lot of time to really try something too different. I used my octobox again but this time, I removed the inner and outer diffuser panels. The octobox I own has a round reflector you can slide onto the center so it resembles a very large Beauty Dish. It's a little bit of a harder light but I like it.

Jen%20beauty%20dish-2-X3.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2013
    Gotcha, I was just wondering what problem you were trying to solve with your suggestion.
  • Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2013
    That backyard is killing me... So much potential aside from looking so nice. I was wondering what apeture did you shoot these in considering your usng sync speed and outdoor ambient. Im assuming your barely powering that AB and using TT-L on your speedlght?
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2013
    I like your last efforts. The beauty dish effect on the last one of your wife is my favorite.

I've gone away from umbrellas or the octabox outdoors now in favor of a larger beauty dish for one or two subjects. I find I have much better control of the lighting.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2013
    Gaby617 wrote: »
    That backyard is killing me... So much potential aside from looking so nice. I was wondering what apeture did you shoot these in considering your usng sync speed and outdoor ambient. Im assuming your barely powering that AB and using TT-L on your speedlght?

Thanks Gaby. We love our backyard. We really got lucky with our home. It was in pretty bad shape when we bought it but that worked in our favor. This is our 3rd home and we were no strangers to remodeling. We could see the potential where I guess others could not. It's been a labour of love for the last 10 years but it's become our little slice of paradise.

I believe all the shots I posted in this thread so far have been shot wide open, if not close. Around f/2.8-3.5 depending on how bright out. As far as sync speed, Most are shot at no higher than 1/320 since I am using studio flashes in most of the shots and they don't have high speed sync. And yes, the AB800 is set to about 1/8 power, maybe 1/4 power on the high end. Also correct, the speedlight shots were done on iTT-L with -2EV or there abouts.
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I like your last efforts. The beauty dish effect on the last one of your wife is my favorite.

I've gone away from umbrellas or the octabox outdoors now in favor of a larger beauty dish for one or two subjects. I find I have much better control of the lighting.

Yeah... that last shot came out quite nice. Now, just to be clear, it's actually shot with the 4' octobox. But I don't have any of the diffusers on it. And this octo comes with a parabolic reflector that you slide onto the middle, so essentially, it becomes a large beauty dish. Here is a picture of it.

i-5t6NsSj-L.jpg

It was the first time I use it in this manner. I plan on using it this way more often. Nice light from it.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2013
    Here are a few more that I took. The two shots in blue were yesterday morning with the octo in beauty dish configuration. The other shots were this morning with the octo but with the inner and outer diffuser installed. Can you tell my wife is a shopaholic for clothes?

Jen%20blue%20%26%20black-2-X3.jpg

Jen%20blue%20%26%20black-1-X3.jpg

Jen%20black%20%26%20white-1-X3.jpg

Jen%20floral-1-X3.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    Your lighting is fantastic! You should come to Austin and do a class haha