Options

Kristine - Accidental Shoot

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited September 9, 2013 in People
I was away last week on a cruise to the Virgin Islands. Since this was a non model vacation cruise I traveled light with only a camera, 2 lenses and a flash expecting to shoot only turista type snaps.

Well I ran into this couple from Norway and as we were discussing photography and what I do, she said, "I've never done a real shoot before and I always wanted to try it." Can you guess how long it took me to suggest we do so on the ship??

SOOO here is the camera debut of non-model Kristine.

p1745984700-4.jpg

p1849944360-4.jpg

p1763785038-4.jpg

p1765406691-4.jpg

p1634337233-4.jpg

p1706739098-4.jpg

p1815086096-4.jpg

8.and what is a Bilsen set without a headshot??
p1842488526-4.jpg
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    Laughing.gif.

Not sure how you're going to take this man but these shots are some of the best stuff you've ever posted in my humble opinion. I love them all except #3 and that one I still like. There are a couple really minor distractions in the BG in a couple but nothing that can't be erased. #2 and #5 are my favorites.

Really nice stuff. You need to figure out exactly what you did with these and bottle it for later use!!!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2013
    Alex, thank you (I think headscratch.gif ) Laughing.gif.

I'm not sure what you're seeing different except that with a non-model who knew nothing, I took a serious lot of time between clicks to pose her from the ground up. Normally I let the model go for the general pose and just refine it a bit. Other than that, I don't honestly know.

I do know that even my wife said "Focus on her incredible eyes" which is where the last frame came from. Maybe I should have taken Diva on the cruise as my female art director.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    Excellent!
    I've not been around in quite a while but sure picked a good time to visit. I have to agree John this is you at your best! The posing, the composition and color all work together. Very sophisticated stuff. Maybe that's the ticket- you control the pose from the ground up. Great work, John! clap.gif
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    15524779-Ti.gif

Why? I'll hazard some guesses:

- she isn't a model, so you had to think about how to help her instead of "leaving it to her" (you've often said that's what you do)
    - she isn't a model, and you probably went to greater lengths to make her feel comfortable in her own skin
    - you HAD to pose her, which made you stop and think about what you were doing instead of just clicking
    - you didn't go looking for "sexy" - and in this context probably weren't so comfortable doing the "male fantasy" poses, but spent time making her the best HER she could be. You worked at making HER shine instead of just "wow, she's hot - hubbahubba" rolleyes1.gif

Gold star for you on this set, my friend! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2013
    PS #6. Are you REALLY going to leave dude's head at the edge of the frame?! (I know, details details!!)
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2013
    Thanks Diva, I can only guess that you are 90% correct. This set probably shows more of my thoughts than anything other than the world tour with Cyndi. With Kristine, I wanted her to have max comfort and there was nonreal concept other than maybe J Crew for the shorts/top set. So you are pretty much right albeit with a Few small corrections:

That is a statue in #6 not some dude's head. Laughing.gif still, it can go away.

I rarely think the hubba hubba thing anymore. After 5 years and 160 or so models, i am way past pretty girl syndrome. That said, if a model wants to go sexy, I usually go with them and suggest what I think works.

It was definitely different directing Kristine from the ground up and doing so in a way she'd stay natural and unforced. She really took to it naturally and was so smart that she got a direction ( ie: weight on the back leg) on the first try. Then she remembered that when we added another.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    many of these are too dark...? 1, 2, 3, 5, 7.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    many of these are too dark...? 1, 2, 3, 5, 7.

Would have to agree with that - meant to mention in my first post some could use a little brightening up. Was swayed by the great vibe of these shots and forgot!
  • Options
    DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    To dark? Don't know why that would be said. Love them all except #6 and the last one.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    Hmm... I'm one those guys that love well exposed images. Actually, prefer them to walk that fine line of being too bright. That said, I don't find any of these shots "too dark". I haven't but I think if you look at the histogram on each, you will not find it to be underexposed at all. Maybe you guys are focusing too much on the shadows. Take a look at all of the highlights and midtones in all the shots. Look just right if you ask me but I'm known to travel on an inner tube so what the heck do I know. Laughing.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    Great set but some need to be lightened up a bit. Pose is a bit awkward for me in 6. Great set overall.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    Hmm... I'm one those guys that love well exposed images. Actually, prefer them to walk that fine line of being too bright. That said, I don't find any of these shots "too dark". I haven't but I think if you look at the histogram on each, you will not find it to be underexposed at all. Maybe you guys are focusing too much on the shadows. Take a look at all of the highlights and midtones in all the shots. Look just right if you ask me but I'm known to travel on an inner tube so what the heck do I know. Laughing.gif

Histograms are great but they can also be misleading. There are very bright areas in the pictures that can throw a histogram off, namely the shirt and backgrounds.

When shooting sports I would have white colored jerseys and background light throw off exposure which is why I try to expose for skin and faces when shooting sports.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    Here's a quick edit of the jpg in Picasa (all I have here at my day job) to demonstrate roughly where I think these should be, brightness-wise:

before/after:
    p1745984700-4.jpgi-QPLBpmX.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    Jack, I have no argument with your preference but I did look at it brighter and prefer not to blow out her blouse. Just a personal choice in PP.

Thanks all for looking in.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    If processing from raw, you would not have to blow out the blouse in order to get the whites whiter. I blew out the blouse because it's a jpeg.

I see these photos were taken about 6pm, so I'm sure your versions are accurate to what you saw in the evening shade. However accurate reproductions of a scene and pleasing photographs are often two different things.
    -Jack

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 4, 2013
    Gorgeous series. Well done!
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    Fwiw, on my monitor something about halfway between the originals and Jack's edit would be about right. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    she looks better and poses better then most of your "pro" models to be honest.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    Fwiw, on my monitor something about halfway between the originals and Jack's edit would be about right. ne_nau.gif

I would agree with Diva if I was agreeing that they are underexposed to begin with but I'm not really agreeing although I can see where a little added bump would hurt the image or make it objectionable. Maybe. ne_nau.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    I see these photos were taken about 6pm, so I'm sure your versions are accurate to what you saw in the evening shade. However accurate reproductions of a scene and pleasing photographs are often two different things.

Boy don't I know that.rolleyes1.gif

Anyway, I won't argue with anyone's take on this set but the fact is they were shot on the dark side of the ship away from the Caribbean sun. All that white superstructure made for one helluva reflector. For better or worse, this is what the camera saw. That's not to minimize PP but I wanted to leave her as naturally beautiful as she was.
    she looks better and poses better then most of your "pro" models to be honest.
    Qarik my friend, I'll take that as the second "sort of" compliment in this series. I don't usually micromanage a model but with Kristine I basically started at her toes and moved up. Diva thinks I should do that more often and perhaps she's correct (yet again).

Anyway, I appreciate the comments on this impromptu shoot and I'm still listening.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    Add a me too!

To me, this is the most pleasing set (for me) I have seen from you in a long time.

Very natural yet stylistic.

Kudo's.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    Thanks Bryce, sorry I missed this comment. Always good to have your feedback, pro and not so pro. Laughing.gif