Options

Canon EOS Rebel XT??

mojo1mojo1 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited November 3, 2005 in Technique
Maybe a dumb question but I set the time and date on the camera but dont see how to get it to show up on the picture ,any help would be nice? :dunno

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    My advice is to stop trying ;-)

That is the fastest way to regret when you get a great shot but have this big ugly red time stamp on the photo. If you really want to time stamp a photo, do it later in your image editor, but don't permanently scar your only copy of the photo right off the bat.
    mojo1 wrote:
    Maybe a dumb question but I set the time and date on the camera but dont see how to get it to show up on the picture ,any help would be nice? ne_nau.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 27, 2005
    welcome to digital :D

the time stamp is there in every photo, in the EXIF information. I actually had a look in the manual for you, I have an XT too, and I couldn't find it anywhere. I suspect the only place this "feature" would be available is if you use the direct printing feature. What's it called, PictBridge or something??? So look in the manual for that - I never ever do that, so I know nothing about it, and the manual is for it is buried in the basement somewhere.

I'm with Shay, the info is there and it's a digital image, so you have to go through some form of processing anyway. Add it later. I'm sure if want that blurry crooked time stamp effect from photo labs in the days of yore, you can do it in Photoshop.
    lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 27, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    welcome to digital :D

the time stamp is there in every photo, in the EXIF information. I actually had a look in the manual for you, I have an XT too, and I couldn't find it anywhere. I suspect the only place this "feature" would be available is if you use the direct printing feature. What's it called, PictBridge or something??? So look in the manual for that - I never ever do that, so I know nothing about it, and the manual is for it is buried in the basement somewhere.
    effect from photo labs in the days of yore, you can do it in Photoshop.
    lol3.gif
    How do I download that info , in the EXIF information , when I load pictures on the computer?
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    it's inside the file already. various programs can show it to you, including Exifer. What program are you using to edit your pictures, it's probably able to show you as well.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 27, 2005
    mojo1 wrote:
    How do I download that info , in the EXIF information , when I load pictures on the computer?
    Yes. Just about any application that will let you manipulate images will display the EXIF info somewhere. You may want to do a search for EXIF to better understand it. Basically, its some embedded info that has all sorts of camera details - date, time, camera type, settings, etc...

I'm getting a feeling you don't do much image manipulation/post processing? Do you just shoot in JPG and use a card reader to put the JPGs on your computer? Then post them to the web or something? If so, and you yourself just need to know the details (time/date) there are stand alone "EXIF viewer" applications - many of them free for download. Although, I think you can get most of what you need by just right-clicking (PC I presume) the image > properties > summary tab > advanced. Try it on any image file on your computer, that should be self-explanatory.

If your search is fruitless or not helping you out with something simple, throw us a bone, we can be more specific with the help.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 27, 2005
    Thanks guys , I figured it out ,download the Irfan Viewer works great !thumb.gifsaw it in another thread about this.
  • Options
    rsi1986rsi1986 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    If you have Windows XP. Right click the pic, hit properties, and hit the summery tab at the top. There is all the EXIF data. This may work in other opperating systems too.
    mojo1 wrote:
    Stimulating the economy one lens at a time. :super
    Robert A. www.imaginglifestyle.com

• Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    Irfan Viewer ,is a bit of a pain though when you pull up the pictures they are bigger than the screen ,I havent dug around in it yet though to see if there is a setting I can change. ne_nau.gif