Options

Tub

D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
edited September 10, 2013 in People
Bathtub/spa and flash always a lethal mix.
i-fWt8kqb-XL.jpg
A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    D3... what were you going for with the processing?

It looks just a tad surreal. A little over-cooked. I think it's the lack of skin texture on her face. It could be the size posted though.

Nice shot though.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2013
    D3... what were you going for with the processing?

It looks just a tad surreal. A little over-cooked. I think it's the lack of skin texture on her face. It could be the size posted though.

Nice shot though.

TXS, lots of contrast. I am in one of these moods, the contrast mood. The skin texture is there , i will post a detail of it as soon as I am back. Possible the size, you will notice even the facial hairs..
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    I like the lighting, model, and post processing. I think surreal adds to it.
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    Definitely has that surreal CGI look to it. Very cool looking though.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    Oh... don't get me wrong. I love the shot. Just wanted to get an idea of what your objective was for the photograph. I don't mind a little surreal when it is done well and this is done well.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    Wowzer!!!!! I think this is one terrific portrait. In this instance our job as photographers is to make our subject as beautiful as possible and you hit a home run for me with this one. If you showed her the before and after I'm sure she would pick the after. Most folks on this forum seem to be rooted in realism and view this work as unnecessary. Most subjects would prefer your styling if they were your subject.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    Stunning image D3. Whatever you intended re PP, this works on every level for me.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    Beautiful photo! An inspiration to keep shooting to someday reach this level of photography
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Wowzer!!!!! I think this is one terrific portrait. In this instance our job as photographers is to make our subject as beautiful as possible and you hit a home run for me with this one. If you showed her the before and after I'm sure she would pick the after. Most folks on this forum seem to be rooted in realism and view this work as unnecessary. Most subjects would prefer your styling if they were your subject.

I agree with you Hack. I think "Photoshopping" a person has been given a bad rap. We see articles all the time criticizing how Hollywood and advertisers completely retouch actors and models. I somewhat understand the critics in that context because it sets an unrealistic standard for young people to try to achieve but this is nothing new. I doubt that the the models that posed for Greek sculptures were as ripped as they're represented.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    Agreed Alex, photoshop is simply another tool to work with.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    TXS everybody for the nice words. And yes there is a little bit of PS and other but nothing drastic. I do alter the color and tone but never the model except some small skin imperfections.

In short:

RAW=> LR5
    Adjust camera profile, WB, Contrast, Sharpness in LR5
    NIK pro-contrast (with my own settings)
    PS for skin correction (copy layer,healing brush,invers, smart layer, High Pass, Gaussion Noise, 30% transparency)
    NIK detail extraction (own settings), NIK neutral density , NIK sunlight.

That is what it takes, and only 3-5 minutes.

Post processing is nothing new, it has been done since the day photography was invented. But again it takes a technically good picture to start with.

I look at it like cocking a meal, where the salt , peper and dressing are the PP.
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2013
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    TXS everybody for the nice words. And yes there is a little bit of PS and other but nothing drastic. I do alter the color and tone but never the model except some small skin imperfections.

In short:

RAW=> LR5
    Adjust camera profile, WB, Contrast, Sharpness in LR5
    NIK pro-contrast (with my own settings)
    PS for skin correction (copy layer,healing brush,invers, smart layer, High Pass, Gaussion Noise, 30% transparency)
    NIK detail extraction (own settings), NIK neutral density , NIK sunlight.

That is what it takes, and only 3-5 minutes.

Post processing is nothing new, it has been done since the day photography was invented. But again it takes a technically good picture to start with.

I look at it like cocking a meal, where the salt , peper and dressing are the PP.

I've never "cocked" a meal before. Care to explain how one does so? rolleyes1.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2013
    I've never "cocked" a meal before. Care to explain how one does so? rolleyes1.gif

That is so funny.....rolleyes1.gif Those auto spelcheckers.....bowdown.gif