Options

More with the Octo set up as a beauty dish

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited September 11, 2013 in People
Some shots from today with the octobox set up in beauty dish mode. Shot were taken with the beauty dish as the main and a second 24" softobx without any diffuser as my second light.

Jen%20foyer-8-X2.jpg

Jen%20foyer-2-X2.jpg

Jen%20foyer-3-X2.jpg

Jen%20foyer-4-X2.jpg

Jen%20foyer-7-X2.jpg

Jen%20foyer-6-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    4-5-& 6.......WOW, love the skin tones, wardrobe color and light placement. These are outstanding, work the eyes a tad and look out!!. 1-2 & 3 lens choice could have been better but your shooting in a cramped space so you gotta do with want your in.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    I love it when you play with lights Alex.

Not crazy about # 1 but the others are great, I love # 4 and # 6 is a true OMG!!mwink.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    Dp
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    Are you really looking for c&c... or are you just bragging about your hot wife? mwink.gif
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    4-5-& 6.......WOW, love the skin tones, wardrobe color and light placement. These are outstanding, work the eyes a tad and look out!!. 1-2 & 3 lens choice could have been better but your shooting in a cramped space so you gotta do with want your in.

Thanks Hack. It was a little tricky positioning the lights with her laying down but I just flipped her on a vertical axis in my head and just set up the lights as I would if she were standing.

And yeah... for 1,2,3 I literally had my back against the wall so I couldn't shoot with anything longer than 70mm. I tried my best to work with the distortion.

About the eyes... can you elaborate a bit on the "work the eyes a tad"?
    Bilsen wrote: »
    I love it when you play with lights Alex.

Not crazy about # 1 but the others are great, I love # 4 and # 6 is a true OMG!!mwink.gif

Thanks Bilsen. Yeah... one was one of the first shots I took. It was a jumping off point. I think 4 is my fav.
    Are you really looking for c&c... or are you just bragging about your hot wife? mwink.gif

Haha... both I think.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    Alex, can I work one up to show you?
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    Alex, can I work one up to show you?

Sure. Would love to see it.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    mmm..MMM! #3 her arm looks huge but that is my only nit in this set
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    Hope this is OK.

i-VWRDngm-X2.jpg
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    Wow! Love 4 and 6 but they are all great.
  • Options
    Alex PAlex P Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2013
    Exceptional Alex! thumb.gif
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 10, 2013
    Hope this is OK.

i-VWRDngm-X2.jpg

That edit doesn't work for me at all. Greatly prefer the original.

4,5 and 6 in this set for me. thumb.gif
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2013
    I like 4 here.

Alex, if you are going to continue with this type of lighting, I would suggest buying an actual beauty dish with a white interior. You will get much better control of specular highlights (over your silver interior) and the smaller size will be easier for you to aim and control particularly for a single subject.

They are also much easier to use outdoors if there is any wind. I love my beauty dish on the beach for this reason alone. My octobox and umbrellas were constantly in danger of flying away at the beach.
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2013
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I like 4 here.

Alex, if you are going to continue with this type of lighting, I would suggest buying an actual beauty dish with a white interior. You will get much better control of specular highlights (over your silver interior) and the smaller size will be easier for you to aim and control particularly for a single subject.

They are also much easier to use outdoors if there is any wind. I love my beauty dish on the beach for this reason alone. My octobox and umbrellas were constantly in danger of flying away at the beach.

Thanks for the suggestion Mitch. I actually have a beauty dish that I made. It's pretty nice. 22" and is white on the inside. I posted construction photos with in instructions a while back when I built it. I've used it before just not in quite sometime. Maybe I will get it out and play with it.

My Smug Site