Options

[Fixed] Unwanted <br /> tags added to Gallery Description

beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
edited September 12, 2013 in Bug Reporting
This is an odd one...

My site's using the SmugMug gallery style. If, when in Gallery view, I hit "Customize" then "Gallery Style" and choose a different style, and then change it back, it can do odd things to the Gallery Description text.

If the Gallery Description is only one line there's no change, but if the Gallery Description has more than one line (with each line-break made using the return key) then <br /> tags get inserted into each break, ruining the formatting.

Here are the Gallery Settings as intended:
galdesc1-O.jpg

and here is the output, it displays as intended:
galdescdisplay1-O.jpg

But, after a changing the gallery style and then changing it back, here's how the output is displayed:
galdescdisplay2-O.jpg

And here's what it's done to the Gallery Settings:
galdesc2-O.jpg

So, each Gallery Style change adds a <br /> tag, and only to the gallery that is being viewed during the change(s). As far as I can tell, all of the other Gallery Descriptions are unchanged and display correctly.

The quick fix at this end is to go back into the Gallery Settings and edit out the unwanted tags, but it would be better if they didn't get added in the first place.

It also makes me wonder if there have been any other unnoticed tag additions anywhere else, things that I've yet to find and which might be banjaxxing other things.

So, that leads to four questions, I'll hold the fourth one until later, but here are the first three:

1. Does anybody else have this issue?
  2. Can it be reproduced?
  3. Can it be fixed?

FWIW: XP SP3, Firefox 23.0.1, "Power" account, site at http://beardedgit.smugmug.com/
Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!

Comments

• Options
    billwbillw Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    If, when in Gallery view, I hit "Customize" then "Gallery Style" and choose a different style, and then change it back, it can do odd things to the Gallery Description text.
    So, each Gallery Style change adds a <br /> tag, and only to the gallery that is being viewed during the change(s). As far as I can tell, all of the other Gallery Descriptions are unchanged and display correctly.

The quick fix at this end is to go back into the Gallery Settings and edit out the unwanted tags, but it would be better if they didn't get added in the first place.
    So, that leads to four questions, I'll hold the fourth one until later, but here are the first three:

1. Does anybody else have this issue?
    2. Can it be reproduced?
    3. Can it be fixed?

2) 100% reproducible for me.
    3) Again (like the multi-word keyword issue) this seem to be a case of smugmug "helping" when it shouldn't. I'd think the fix would be to simply remove the code that adds the extra tags. Of course, there may be good reasons for doing this in other cases.

Question/observation: there's no other HTML in the gallery description, and the display engine is already taking return characters and converting them to HTML line breaks, so why add the HTML breaks in the first place?
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    billw wrote: »
    2) 100% reproducible for me.
    Hi billw,

Thanks for that, it's confirmation that I've not gone totally mad (yet) thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Any word on this? A Case Number, perhaps? Maybe just some sort of acknowledgement that the boffins have read this?
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    Any word on this? A Case Number, perhaps? Maybe just some sort of acknowledgement that the boffins have read this?

SM is still inserting these unwanted <br /> tags whenever I try out different gallery styles.
  • Options
    GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    SM is still inserting these unwanted <br /> tags whenever I try out different gallery styles.

Me too.
  • Options
    moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    Investigated and verified - added to bug list.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    moiraine wrote: »
    Investigated and verified - added to bug list.
    Thanks, moiraine thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    Tested after the recently-announced fix, it seems to be working properly now.

Thanks, SM thumb.gif
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2013