Options

really struggling with new themes

cedericcederic Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited September 12, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
So leaving aside the whole "Why break something that was nice" and assuming I'm going to have no choice if I want to continue using Smugmug (and if I can't resolve these issues, I wont), I just can't get the new themes to look nice.

The old goodness:
smugmug-oldgoodness.jpg

The new badness, as good as I can get it:
smugmug-newbadness.jpg

An issue on the homepage:
smugmug-newbadness-homepage.jpg

Issues that I still haven't resolved:
  • Title and caption both showing
  • Awful massive 'add to cart' button with glaringly horrible colour scheme
  • Gallery page selector displaying badly
  • unable to centre the footer (the one that reads "Pictures mostly (C) Stuart Scott")
  • Homepage title showing html encoding
  • Gallery titles showing "Gallery name - cederic" rather than just "Gallery name"
  • The share/prev/next/download sets of buttons below a picture don't change width to match the picture

This is a cry for help. Please help :( There are a bunch of other changes that annoy me, but those issues will stop me switching.

Is it possible to just retain the existing theme? It works. It's clean. It's elegant. I have it configured how I want it.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited September 8, 2013
    cederic wrote: »
    Awful massive 'add to cart' button with glaringly horrible colour scheme
    Is it possible to just retain the existing theme? It works. It's clean. It's elegant. I have it configured how I want it.
    You might take a look at the thread Guide: Convert existing SmugMug site into new format -match old layout.

The color of the Add to cart button is the accent color from your theme. If you change the accent color the button color should change. There is also a customization you can apply - see http://www.smugocity.com/CSS/Buttons/Add-To-Cart.
    Issues that I still haven't resolved:
    Gallery titles showing "Gallery name - cederic" rather than just "Gallery name"
    I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Are you asking about the browser name? It should show the gallery name followed by your site name. If you don't like the site name, have you considered changing it?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2013
    You might take a look at the thread Guide: Convert existing SmugMug site into new format -match old layout.

The color of the Add to cart button is the accent color from your theme. If you change the accent color the button color should change. There is also a customization you can apply - see http://www.smugocity.com/CSS/Buttons/Add-To-Cart.

Thanks, I'll take a look. That guide doesn't really cover most of my issues, but at least I can get the 'cart' button sorted.
    It should show the gallery name followed by your site name. If you don't like the site name, have you considered changing it?

It does show that - but it's showing my smugmug id (cederic) not my site title ("Stuart's Photographs") which appears (broken) on the homepage.

The whole thing just doesn't feel professional - certainly nowhere near the bugfree elegance that attracted me to Smugmug in the first place. I'm finding myself very stressed by this.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited September 8, 2013
    It does show that - but it's showing my smugmug id (cederic) not my site title ("Stuart's Photographs") which appears (broken) on the homepage.
    It should be showing the site meta title. Do you have one set?

Go to Account Settings... Discovery... Search. Verify that Site Meta Title contains the text you want shown in the browser title and in bookmarks. You should also verify that the Homepage Meta Description and Homepage Meta Keywords boxes contain the text you want.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    Set all of those. None of them fixed the title issue on the homepage the gallery page.

I appreciate your attempts to help, but I'll just keep the old setup until it's disabled, then find a photo hosting site that works.
  • Options
    stu1102stu1102 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 12, 2013
    Set all of those. None of them fixed the title issue on the homepage the gallery page.

I appreciate your attempts to help, but I'll just keep the old setup until it's disabled, then find a photo hosting site that works.

I have to agree with you. My wife and I are very angry and upset about the way this has been imposed on what was a great legacy site but I think what is really appauling is the architecture of the new softwware tool to design your new site. I would really like to know who the developers were of this, becuse it reminds me of early software attempts in the early 70's. I appreciate some people may love it. we have been with Smugmug for years and now we have had enough

Like you Cederic were currently investigating other alternatives
  • Options
    starrynightstarrynight Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2013
    I feel all the same frustrations that you do. I've tried hard to consider it a learning curve & a novelty-aversion effect, but, the more time I spend with trying to get things to work, the more frustrated I become. Individual settings are broken up in multiple (difficult to deduce locations). It's as though some idiosyncratic organizer came to my office and reorganized everything based on their own scheme and I have to hunt around looking for where they put everything (like, say, they decided the keyboard should be in the top shelf in the closet, labelled "input devices").

I also use the gallery view, and I think it's the one people dislike the most in comparison with its format in the legacy smugmug. Right now, I've spent at least an hour trying to fix the display of gallery names, which get cut off -- and since the relevant information is at the end of the name, are completely useless.

I don't know if replacement for smugmug is a reasonable thread for a smugmug forum, but I hope someone who is researching alternatives will put that information somewhere for me to find.

(PS: I do not have answers to any of the original questions, but have the same reaction every time I look at my gallery view and compare legacy to the current version)