Options

How to have image show up in more than one gallery.

kathleenkathleen Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited September 13, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
How can I put certain images in more than one gallery? I know I could copy the image and physically move the copy to another gallery, but there has to be an easier way. In Zenfolio, you just click on the images you want to show up in another gallery, and then you can click on copy to another gallery, choose the gallery, and then they appear in both galleries. Doing this one at a time would take forever. There must be an easier way to do this, and I just can't find it by searching through Digital Grin.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Kathy Nelson

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited September 12, 2013
    You can collect photos to show them in additional galleries.
    See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93310.

--- Denise
  • Options
    worldphotocreationsworldphotocreations Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    Kathleen, I asked the same question recently and was disappointed to learn that Organize in the new SM doesn't have the ability to copy! I was shocked and disappointed that such a basic feature isn't there. You can use a smart gallery and you can collect, which might work for you.

In my case, I want one image with a watermark and one without (which I thought would work as I am using the SM watermark, not a watermark contained intrinsically IN the image itself). In the past I used SmugTools Gallery Copier 1.1 (http://www.liggitt.net/smugtools/copier/) but was hoping to get away from doing this. Now, it's looking like I'll just have to upload twice, once to each gallery, until a legitimate copy function is introduced.
  • Options
    You can collect photos to show them in additional galleries.
    See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93310.

--- Denise

Thank you, Denise. I got it to work. When I searched for help on this topic, "Collect" never entered my mind, nor did "Share". I guess my mind doesn't work the way Smugmug minds work.

What is important to me, is to do this with more than one photo at a time, and I can't figure out how to do that. In Zenfolio it is so easy to do that. I thought I would be able to click on a number of pictures in a gallery and then "share" the ones I pick with another gallery. I'm so confused. I'm certain this can be done, but I can't do it.

For example, I have a Family category with images of my granddaughter, a number of which I want to be under a category of what I consider "stock" images under People/Babies & Children. I just can't imagine following this procedure for each and every image I want to do this to. I'm sorry to be so dense on this. I guess I think like a photographer and not like a website designer.

Thanks again for your help.

Kathleen Nelson

PS: My site is: www.kathleennelson.com
  • Options
    I have copied an image in new SM.
    Kathleen, I asked the same question recently and was disappointed to learn that Organize in the new SM doesn't have the ability to copy! I was shocked and disappointed that such a basic feature isn't there. You can use a smart gallery and you can collect, which might work for you.

In my case, I want one image with a watermark and one without (which I thought would work as I am using the SM watermark, not a watermark contained intrinsically IN the image itself). In the past I used SmugTools Gallery Copier 1.1 (http://www.liggitt.net/smugtools/copier/) but was hoping to get away from doing this. Now, it's looking like I'll just have to upload twice, once to each gallery, until a legitimate copy function is introduced.

I found copy when I went to my gallery and clicked on the image I wanted. Then I clicked on the little wrench and found "Organize" then "Make a copy". Then you have two identical images, one of which can be moved to another gallery. I found this to be very tedious. I am finding the new SM to be lacking in a number of areas (it's probably me that is lacking, because I think like a photographer and not a website designer.)

Kathleen Nelson
  • Options
    kathleen wrote: »
    ...For example, I have a Family category with images of my granddaughter, a number of which I want to be under a category of what I consider "stock" images under People/Babies & Children. I just can't imagine following this procedure for each and every image I want to do this to. I'm sorry to be so dense on this. I guess I think like a photographer and not like a website designer.
    You might consider using smart galleries then. You could tag each photo with a keyword and then use the keyword to drive a smart gallery.

Help page is at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93308.

--- Denise
  • Options
    starrynightstarrynight Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    But, since smugmug is a site for photographers, and not web designers, it's the way we think that should matter for the design. I presume that what you're trying to do is what one can do, say, in a photostream on the iPhone -- select all the pictures, of say, flowers in your gallery, and send them to the "flower" stream. The idea that one would tag each of those pictures with and then create a smartgallery is the kind of solution one would use as a database administrator and not a photographer.

(BTW, I'm not complaining about the suggestion -- it's a work around, and a work around is better than hitting a wall).

"
    kathleen wrote: »
    I found copy when I went to my gallery and clicked on the image I wanted. Then I clicked on the little wrench and found "Organize" then "Make a copy". Then you have two identical images, one of which can be moved to another gallery. I found this to be very tedious. I am finding the new SM to be lacking in a number of areas (it's probably me that is lacking, because I think like a photographer and not a website designer.)

Kathleen Nelson
  • Options
    PS: I am so frustrated, and I'm particularly frustrated when photographers blame themselves for the things they can't do, when in fact things are working poorly.
  • Options
    ThreeGuysPhotographyThreeGuysPhotography Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    PS: I am so frustrated, and I'm particularly frustrated when photographers blame themselves for the things they can't do, when in fact things are working poorly.

I get what you are saying and understand your frustration. But, SM allows some great flexibility in customization of your website for someone with some web design experience or someone willing to learn how. One of the most disappointing things with the new SM is the loss of ability to use your own javascript. There are some easier to use sites for setting up a photography website, but they don't allow you to really create your own custom look as well as SM does.
  • Options
    In the legacy smugmug you could copy a picture in your gallery by going to Tools:make a copy. How do you do it now? Can you? or do you have to upload multiple copies of the picture?
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2013
    In the legacy smugmug you could copy a picture in your gallery by going to Tools:make a copy. How do you do it now? Can you? or do you have to upload multiple copies of the picture?
    You can still make a copy in Lightbox. Hover over tools, hover over organize, click make a copy.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2013
    Thanks -- I hadn't noticed this tool button (to the right of the big picture in the gallery view) and see that it gives me access to the tools in this view.