Options

Sandisk - World’s First High Capacity 256GB Compactflash Card

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
edited September 14, 2013 in Accessories
Sandisk Offers World’s First High Capacity 256GB Compactflash Card Supporting The Latest Video Performance Guarantee Specification

SanDisk Corporation announced the availability of the 256GB SanDisk Extreme Pro® CompactFlash® memory card, the world’s first high-capacity, high-performance CompactFlash card with the latest Video Performance Guarantee (VPG-65) specification.

"The card delivers minimum sustained write speeds of 65MB/s, optimized to capture 4K and Full HD video. The 256GB SanDisk Extreme Pro CompactFlash card has industry-leading transfer speeds of up to 160MB/s, designed to dramatically improve workflow efficiencies, and delivers fast shot speeds of up to 140MB/s for advanced functions such as fast action and continuous burst mode shots."

"SanDisk Extreme Pro memory cards are designed for professionals and are backed by a lifetime limited warranty. The cards are durability tested, include RTV silicone coating inside for added protection against shock and vibration, and perform in extreme temperatures from minus 13 degrees Fahrenheit to 185 degrees Fahrenheit. The cards also include a one year downloadable offer for RescuePRO® media recovery software, which lets photographers recover their images in case of accidental deletion."
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2013
    Ziggy,

You forgot to tell everyone how affordable these little puppies are.

The 256GIG is only $1800.00 Wow, I am gona pick up a couple today.

Sam
  • Options
    Sam wrote: »
    Ziggy,

Sam

If you have to ask about the price ... :D
    ziggy53
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    Sam wrote: »
    Ziggy,

Sam

In the world of video, these are exceptionally cheap. I remember when Panasonic released the first HD tapeless camera. Media was about $1200 for 11 minutes. When I bought my Sony EX1, media was $1000 per hour or so. And that was considered a bargain by nearly everyone around. Movie film for Vision 2 and Vision 3 were in the $500 per 11 minute range if you were shooting 35mm.

It's all a matter of perspective.
  • Options
    In the world of video, these are exceptionally cheap. I remember when Panasonic released the first HD tapeless camera. Media was about $1200 for 11 minutes. When I bought my Sony EX1, media was $1000 per hour or so. And that was considered a bargain by nearly everyone around. Movie film for Vision 2 and Vision 3 were in the $500 per 11 minute range if you were shooting 35mm.

Whenever you see the word "Professional" in the video world you can automatically assume "expensive". mwink.gif

Anybody here ever work with 2" Quad tape format? Incredibly expensive stuff.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2013

We may be headed back in that direction, with 4K coming soon. I doubt a 256GB card would hold much 4K RAW footage, Laughing.gif...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    Oh, you'd be surprised. All depends on how it's compressed. Shooting uncompressed 4K is another matter, but NO ONE does that. It just makes no sense to do so. We were shooting 4K onto 16GB CF cards 4 years ago and doing just fine. REDCode RAW is about 28MB/s or 1680MB per minute. That gives about 1.6GB/minute. A 16GB card was giving about 9 minutes or so. A film can was 11 minutes, so it seemed enough.

a 256GB card would be 160 minutes of compressed RAW 4K. Enough to shoot a full football/soccer game NBA game, etc on a single card. And do it thousands of times. And stick it inside your wallet when you're done. Not bad for under $2k. Back then, the cameras that did this were pricey. RED One was $55k + lenses, and the prices went up from there. The Dalsa was well into 6 figures. Now, you can shoot 4K RAW for under $5k.

We may be headed back in that direction, with 4K coming soon. I doubt a 256GB card would hold much 4K RAW footage, Laughing.gif...

=Matt=
  • Options
    Regarding the cost of these cards, while the MSRP is indeed $1800, the "street" price will likely be somewhat less. A Lexar 64GB XQD card sells for $400, or more, and it would take 4 of those to equal 256GB, @ $1600 or more for the set.

The SanDisk 256GB Extreme Pro CF card seems right in line with the cost.
    ziggy53