Options

Navbar separator lines don't show on Chrome or Firefox

ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
edited September 16, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
In my test new site, the separators (vertical lines between the navbar items) show in IE, but not Firefox or Chrome. FYI.

Comments

• Options
    snakeey11snakeey11 Registered Users Posts: 88 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 16, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    In my test new site, the separators (vertical lines between the navbar items) show in IE, but not Firefox or Chrome. FYI.

What OS? Can you post (or PM me) a link so I can take a look?

Thanks,
    Mike
    SmugMug Sorcerer
    (and an avid landscape photographer - view my website)
  • Options
    snakeey11 wrote: »
    What OS? Can you post (or PM me) a link so I can take a look?

Thanks,
    Mike

[url]Http://www.joinrats.com[/url]

Sorry for leaving out info:
    Win7 enterprise
    Chrome Version 29.0.1547.66 m
    FF 23.0.1
    IE 8.0.76xxx

gwen
  • Options
    Mike, I think I figured out what's happening. I accidentally highlighted the entire set of 3 rows of navbar links, and in doing so can see that the separators are there, they're just the same color as the background. I don't recall where I set the color for the separators, or why they would be one color in one browser and different in 2 others.
  • Options
    snakeey11snakeey11 Registered Users Posts: 88 SmugMug Employee
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Mike, I think I figured out what's happening. I accidentally highlighted the entire set of 3 rows of navbar links, and in doing so can see that the separators are there, they're just the same color as the background. I don't recall where I set the color for the separators, or why they would be one color in one browser and different in 2 others.

Yeah, we're picking a "bad" color for the separator (basically a very light, almost white) relative you your page's background color. The default separator color is set automatically using your theme's primary color as the reference, which in this case is nearly black, which causes a light color to be chosen for the separators. The reason it's working in IE is because that particular version of IE doesn't support the alpha-transparency for the color, and is instead using the darker fallback option.

I'll look into this a bit more to see if there's something better that can be done, but in lieu of another solution, you can always write some custom CSS to set the color manually.
    SmugMug Sorcerer
    (and an avid landscape photographer - view my website)
  • Options
    Please tell me why the "main color" is black? I actually don't see any black on the theme except for font and color that the navbar drop-down links are in. Is that what's causing the drop-down links to be black? I think the main color was part of the default theme, correct?

EDIT: Okay I tested it by changing the "main color" to something lighter, and now I can make out the separators. Mike I realize this is slightly heading in a different direction but how do I save a theme/customization, and then try another theme but keep the same customizations on it? I'd like to change themes and test what I see, but I don't want to have to recreate the same customizations (e.g., nav bar) each time.