Options

Invalid URL

Heli2Heli2 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited September 17, 2013 in Bug Reporting
Ever since I switched over from legacy, I keep getting "Invalid URL" pages when trying to access my site or certain pages of my site. My site is www.helengrose.ca, but it keeps switching to www.helengrose.smugmug.com. However, SOMETIMES it's fine, which leads me to believe it's some sort of bug. Can anyone shed light on this or help me figure out to prevent the invalid URL message?

Here's an example of the message it gives me:

Invalid URL

The requested URL "/", is invalid.
Reference #9.7829c18.1378138266.116c5d11

Many thanks, in advance!!

Comments

• Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    Heli2 wrote: »
    Ever since I switched over from legacy, I keep getting "Invalid URL" pages when trying to access my site or certain pages of my site. My site is www.helengrose.ca, but it keeps switching to www.helengrose.smugmug.com. However, SOMETIMES it's fine, which leads me to believe it's some sort of bug. Can anyone shed light on this or help me figure out to prevent the invalid URL message?

Here's an example of the message it gives me:

Invalid URL

Reference #9.7829c18.1378138266.116c5d11

Many thanks, in advance!!
    Can you provide an example of a full URL of which you get an error?
  • Options
    The MechanicThe Mechanic Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    It looks like you are getting a Namesever timeout. This has been occurring on several domain names using GoDaddy's Nameservers for the past few days. They have been notified. There is nothing you can do until this is corrected. This is likely only an intermittent problem. Your domain name and site are working properly here: www.helengrose.ca at this time.
  • Options
    JewlzJewlz Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2013
    I am in ONtario Canada have the same problem and its been going on for over 3 weeks (converted to New Smug Mug around Aug 2 and the problems appeared around the 24th if I recall correctly and have been going on every since).
    I've spoken at length with Go Daddy (literally 3 people and about 1 hour later) and they tell me nothing they do has anything to do with Akamia however this topic of nameservers came up and I sent the information to your Smug Mug team but that seems to have been dismissed.

I therefore disagree that this is an intermittent problem - its almost a month long problem and no information has been received to tell me when it will be fixed of what the problem specifically is.

I get all kinds of errors - below are some of the error messages when trying to access my custom domain:

Invalid URL

The requested URL "/cookiemonster.mg?SessionID=6c307d6b2b8adf31d965d38b81466cf2&skey=15f5fda15050acbf489fa84813d6895a&goTo=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jewelbugphotography.com%2FCanadiana-Collection%2FAutumn", is invalid.
    Reference #9.1e829c18.1379180518.5530bcd

Reference #9.bf829c18.1379083873.59e7bf7

Invalid URL
    Reference #9.bf829c18.1379083810.59e4e34

I was told it related to my ISP (Rogers Cable) and Akamai - and feel after 3 weeks of "problem" something needs to be escalated.
    Please advise.
  • Options
    Jewlz wrote: »
    [...]
    Invalid URL

The requested URL "/cookiemonster.mg?SessionID=6c307d6b2b8adf31d965d38b81466cf2&skey=15f5fda15050acbf489fa84813d6895a&goTo=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jewelbugphotography.com%2FCanadiana-Collection%2FAutumn", is invalid.
    You may check with your ISP and the Heroes in here how it comes that "Canadiana" is 'seperated' to "Cana diana" in this URL
  • Options
    ablichter wrote: »
    You may check with your ISP and the Heroes in here how it comes that "Canadiana" is 'seperated' to "Cana diana" in this URL
    Looks like a copy/paste error - I had copied the URL error message into an email (because I"m trying to keep track of all the errors in case someone asks me) and I just checked my email and there was not space in "Canadiana".

Sorry - you are astute to check and point that out, but so far, that is not the problem.

The message (again this time correct ) was:
    Invalid URL

Edit again: ITs something about this forum format (?) because in preview mode, there is no space between the word - and yet when I save it and view it, I see the space is there.

All I can tell you for sure is the actual error message received did NOT have a space in "Canadiana".
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2013
    This is working fine here for me

http://www.jewelbugphotography.com/Canadiana-Collection/Autumn/i-GvwpBJ7

No SM issue, I'm sure.
  • Options
    Jewlz wrote: »
    [...]
    The message (again this time correct ) was:
    Invalid URL

Edit again: ITs something about this forum format (?) because in preview mode, there is no space between the word - and yet when I save it and view it, I see the space is there.

All I can tell you for sure is the actual error message received did NOT have a space in "Canadiana".
    Okay. I saw this behavior in here in the original post as well. Strange. But as Andy stated, the link works fine.
    I googled for this error and some answer were pointing to network problems, as cable or router problems or by DNS. Try to use a different DNS Server.
  • Options
    ablichter wrote: »
    Okay. I saw this behavior in here in the original post as well. Strange. But as Andy stated, the link works fine.
    I googled for this error and some answer were pointing to network problems, as cable or router problems or by DNS. Try to use a different DNS Server.

Well thanks but the fact 2 people find it works is not really helpful nor does it bring me any closer to finding a solution. As i mentioned it works for me too - inconsistently, every day - for the last month and since I converted to new Smug Mug- it continually craps out just as often and it continually routes my domain back to smug mug alias which is what I absolutely do not want. I note another person posted here from Australia with the same problem, so clearly there is something going on with the platform.

Smug Mug provided me an update again by email - and before I found this thread, I had opened a new one - which is where they posted their reply. I'm being asked to sit and wait while its fixed and my problem in that is there is not ETA given for a solution, nor is the actual problem being defined clearly.

The only way I would actually know if its SM (and not something else) is to set up my domain on another web platform to see how it performs which is something I am debating.

ANyway, moderators you can combine threads if that helps. THanks

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240723
  • Options
    shandrewshandrew Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 33 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 17, 2013
    Jewlz, are you still seeing this problem? I had Akamai disable that entire region due to the networking problem between their Rogers endpoint and GoDaddy's Ontario region nameservers, so you should now be pointed elsewhere in our global load balancing. If you're still seeing the problem, please send me the Reference # that you are now seeing, plus the output of "ping www.jewelbugphotography.com".

The difficulty with this problem is that it has to do with a specific Canadian network link between Rogers, Akamai and GoDaddy, but some of these organizations are a bit slow to work with.

One possible temporary workaround you can use if you're still seeing this problem is to use Google DNS: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/
    I work at SmugMug but these opinions are usually my own.