Options

Safari Shoot

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited September 19, 2013 in Wildlife
I went to a Safari shoot on Sunday and I enjoyed it so much I went again the following day.
C & C would be really appreciated.
Cheers
Bob
RF1A0018-X3.jpg
RF1A0034-X3.jpg
RF1A0041-X3.jpg
RF1A0045-X3.jpg
RF1A0074-X3.jpg
RF1A0096-X3.jpg
RF1A0043-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2013
    Probably just me but the eye's look soft. Like how they're put in the photo though. If I had to pick one it would be hard to do. I really have rattey photo's down to a science so I like to dwell on composition. So, soft eye's or not, I'd be happy with those.

What did you shoot them with?

I might add that the last one is to tight for me. Look's like the lion is staring at a wall. Maybe crop with some extra room in front.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2013
    DonFischer wrote: »
    Probably just me but the eye's look soft. Like how they're put in the photo though. If I had to pick one it would be hard to do. I really have rattey photo's down to a science so I like to dwell on composition. So, soft eye's or not, I'd be happy with those.

What did you shoot them with?

I might add that the last one is to tight for me. Look's like the lion is staring at a wall. Maybe crop with some extra room in front.
    Hi Don
    I used a 5DMk111 and a 100-400L. The last image she was staring at a Wood Pigeon and she was soon joined by another two lions. When they made the pounce I managed a shot but unfortunately I didn't have a fast enough shutter speed as it turned out slightly blurred.
    Bob
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    Hi Bob
    Glad to hear that you are out-and-about, having fun with your gear - that's what it's all about my friend!
    Nice pictures may be the goal, but we have to remember to have fun along the way - otherwise, we'd be "Professionals" lol3.gif

About your shots: I agree that - considering your kit - they are rather soft.

I see that a couple of the shots are through a fence - that is always a tough one - especially correct autofocus.
    Looking at EXIF I see a couple of really high ISOs 2000-8000 - If correct, I'm not sure why as it looks like you are outdoors in the daytime - sharpness will suffer at very high ISO.

In #4, autofocus seems to have locked on the grass rather than the Lion's face. Are you using a single AF point (or the small center group on the MKIII)?
    It really is - IMO - the best way the get the eyes/face sharp.

I have that same lens/body combination and I know that - even with IS - I have to concentrate a little more and make sure my technique is working to reduce/eliminate camera shake.
    One guideline recommends a shutter speed (at least) equivalent to focal length to help reduce motion blur.

HTH - Cheers and (continued) happy shooting!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    Earache wrote: »
    Hi Bob
    Glad to hear that you are out-and-about, having fun with your gear - that's what it's all about my friend!
    Nice pictures may be the goal, but we have to remember to have fun along the way - otherwise, we'd be "Professionals" lol3.gif

About your shots: I agree that - considering your kit - they are rather soft.

I see that a couple of the shots are through a fence - that is always a tough one - especially correct autofocus.
    Looking at EXIF I see a couple of really high ISOs 2000-8000 - If correct, I'm not sure why as it looks like you are outdoors in the daytime - sharpness will suffer at very high ISO.

In #4, autofocus seems to have locked on the grass rather than the Lion's face. Are you using a single AF point (or the small center group on the MKIII)?
    It really is - IMO - the best way the get the eyes/face sharp.

I have that same lens/body combination and I know that - even with IS - I have to concentrate a little more and make sure my technique is working to reduce/eliminate camera shake.
    One guideline recommends a shutter speed (at least) equivalent to focal length to help reduce motion blur.

HTH - Cheers and (continued) happy shooting!
    Pleased to hear from you Eric and thanks for taking the time and replying. I am pleased to be up and about and making the most of things. The first two shots were taken through the fence. I was not allowed to get out of the car and could not get near enough the fence. I also had my auto ISO switched on.
    The auto focus was on the centre point and I should have had it on the small cluster of centre points.
    Having just checked I see my shutter speed was far too low. I am so pleased these points have been highlighted as I will be aware the next time.
    Once again most appreciated Eric.
    Bob