Options

Frustration Beginning to Mount

B643B643 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited September 19, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
After having spent most of the morning and afternoon TRYING to finalize my new site, I have shut down.
I have my folders page set but have NO IDEA how to link the folders to the galleries. I go to the galleries customization site and see no way to import the galleries into their correct folders. I am not going to spend 6 to 8 hours trying to figure this whole thing out. I am scheduled to give a talk to my photography peers next Thursday on how to redesign their SmugMug site. At this point I am ready to tell them not to attempt it. This isn't that easy.

Frustrated User!!!!:help

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited September 18, 2013
    Just like any computer system galleries are placed inside folders. Whatever galleries are in a folder will show up for that folder. If you'd like to move galleries around go to "Organize" -> "Organize Site". You can then drag and drop galleries into whatever folder you want. Hold down shift or "Ctrl" to select multiple galleries, as you would in any OS.

Is that what you're asking?
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    Keep in mind that what you knew as categories and subcategories in legacy smug are folders in the new smug. So the galleries should show automatically when you open a folder.

What do you see if while in your site you change the URL to /browse. Do you see your galleries in folders? Exactly where are you when you can't see your galleries? On your folders page do you have a "folders, galleries, pages" box? That's where the galleries and folders will show.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Keep in mind that what you knew as categories and subcategories in legacy smug are folders in the new smug. So the galleries should show automatically when you open a folder.

What do you see if while in your site you change the URL to <your site url>/browse. Do you see your galleries in folders? Exactly where are you when you can't see your galleries? On your folders page do you have a "folders, galleries, pages" box? That's where the galleries and folders will show.

--- Denise
    I import my selected folders and customize the page. Then I select a folder and nothing happens. According to you I should select the "folders,galleries,pages" box instead of just the "folders" box... is that correct.
  • Options
    B643 wrote: »
    I import my selected folders and customize the page. Then I select a folder and nothing happens. According to you I should select the "folders,galleries,pages" box instead of just the "folders" box... is that correct.

Yes, if you're in a folder you have the following 3 options of things that can be inside it:
    1. More Folders
    2. Some Galleries
    3. Some Pages

At some point you'll be at the last folder and inside it will contain galleries. It will appear empty if you don't have a galleries block to show. You can use the "Folders, Galleries, Pages" block to avoid having to put a folder block, a galleries block, and a pages block in. However, if you want to customize each one separately, then you'll need to put a block in for each separately and not use the combined one.
    dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    leftquark wrote: »
    Yes, if you're in a folder you have the following 3 options of things that can be inside it:
    1. More Folders
    2. Some Galleries
    3. Some Pages

At some point you'll be at the last folder and inside it will contain galleries. It will appear empty if you don't have a galleries block to show. You can use the "Folders, Galleries, Pages" block to avoid having to put a folder block, a galleries block, and a pages block in. However, if you want to customize each one separately, then you'll need to put a block in for each separately and not use the combined one.

I think I will try this tomorrow...using today as the day I was going to complete the new design has been way too frustrating.
  • Options
    I think I will try this tomorrow...using today as the day I was going to complete the new design has been way too frustrating.

Have you watched any of the SmugMug tutorial video's? I found most of this stuff extremely intuitive to get going from the beginning. It was only the tricky advanced customizations that started to be frustrating. Most of the folder/gallery structure is described in detail, with screen-walkthroughs on the videos. Perhaps watch those tonight and give it a whirl tomorrow? ne_nau.gif
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2013
    Have you watched any of the SmugMug tutorial video's? I found most of this stuff extremely intuitive to get going from the beginning. It was only the tricky advanced customizations that started to be frustrating. Most of the folder/gallery structure is described in detail, with screen-walkthroughs on the videos. Perhaps watch those tonight and give it a whirl tomorrow? ne_nau.gif

I am up and at it again. Nothing! I designed my Folders page in the new customization page in the Folder Module. No idea how to get the galleries in there. I have read the articles. The more I do the more confused this becomes. I have read all of your comments over and over. I know it is a simple task, but I think once I know how to get the galleries into the folders the light will go on. I appreciate everyone trying to help...it's me.
  • Options
    TosserTosser Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    It's not you.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    So, if you click on Organize at the top, and then Organize site, are your galleries in the folders you want them? If not, drag and drop them until they're in the right place.

In the Customizer, click on "All folders" at the top right. What content blocks do you have on that page? Make sure that you haven't accidentally deleted the "Navigation / Galleries" block from the page, which is needed to show you the galleries that live in that folder.
  • Options
    This is where I am right now....I am in the customizer....In my folders page, Denise told me to drag the "folders, galleries and pages" block into the appropriate area which I did. The Folders appear, but that is it. I select the folder and nothing happens. I see
    the block called "Navigation/Galleries". It instructs me to drag it somewhere, but it doesn't inform me what gallery and images I am dragging. Fortunately I am retired and can spend some time on this. I can't imagine someone with a full time job trying to figure all this out and take time watching all the videos.
  • Options
    jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    This is where I am right now....I am in the customizer....In my folders page, Denise told me to drag the "folders, galleries and pages" block into the appropriate area which I did. The Folders appear, but that is it. I select the folder and nothing happens. I see
    the block called "Navigation/Galleries". It instructs me to drag it somewhere, but it doesn't inform me what gallery and images I am dragging. Fortunately I am retired and can spend some time on this. I can't imagine someone with a full time job trying to figure all this out and take time watching all the videos.

When you click Publish you should see your galleries.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    Go to this page on the NewSmug. Any category page will do though.
    http://www.crookedriverimages.com/Travel

This is just a folder on NewSmug but it's already named from legacy.

Do you see anything on the page?
    If not you'll have to add the boxes to show what you want.
    Highlight "all folders" in top of right flyout. With that highlighted we'll now add boxes so every folder page has content.

Below click "navigation" to expand it.
    There are a couple things you can add. They will show whatever current content you have on the legacy.
    - "folders" (shows all sub-cats in /Travel - sub-folders in NewSmug)
    - "folders, galleries, pages" (shows all sub-cats/sub-folders in /Travel and any galleries not in sub-cat plus any pages you add. This is all merged together in one box
    - "folders" and "galleries" boxes (drag two boxes over each showing their content)

For each box there is a wrench to click on in the top left. On the box settings page for "select from"
    chose "current location". Now every old category or subcat you go to will have what ever legacy had.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    I just returned from my appointment so if you have the time I would like to take you up on your offer.
  • Options
    Allen wrote: »
    Go to this page on the NewSmug. Any category page will do though.
    http://www.crookedriverimages.com/Travel

This is just a folder on NewSmug but it's already named from legacy.

Do you see anything on the page?
    If not you'll have to add the boxes to show what you want.
    Highlight "all folders" in top of right flyout. With that highlighted we'll now add boxes so every folder page has content.

Below click "navigation" to expand it.
    There are a couple things you can add. They will show whatever current content you have on the legacy.
    - "folders" (shows all sub-cats in /Travel - sub-folders in NewSmug)

- "folders, galleries, pages" (shows all sub-cats/sub-folders in /Travel and any galleries not in sub-cat plus any pages you add. This is all merged together in one box
    - "folders" and "galleries" boxes (drag two boxes over each showing their content)

For each box there is a wrench to click on in the top left. On the box settings page for "select from"
    chose "current location". Now every old category or subcat you go to will have what ever legacy had.

There is no flyout...there is nothing on this page!
  • Options
    clap.gifI HAVE IT!!!!! OMG>>>I DID IT!!!! I am done for the day. I am sure other problems will arise but that's it! wings.gifclapbowdown.gif
  • Options
    clap.gifI HAVE IT!!!!! OMG>>>I DID IT!!!! I am done for the day. I am sure other problems will arise but that's it! wings.gifclapbowdown.gif

Ok. I took my break...i have to finish this my next Thursday. I now have my folder page where I can click on a folder and the gallery opens with the images....yea! However, the page still says "Folder " when I type "Gallery" it remains on the folder page replacing "Folder"

Also, now that I can get to my galleries, I want to customize them. When I go to the customization page and select "galleries " nothing shows up. This makes no sense...I just placed the galleries in the folders so they should be there.
  • Options
    I placed both a "folders" and "galleries" box on my folder pages ("all folders"). Whatever one has
    content will show on a folder page. The one without any content will not show.

You can, instead of those two boxes, place a "folders, galleries, pages" box on the "all folders" page.
    Then whether there's folders or galleries or pages they all show in one big combined box.
  • Options
    I did use the "trio" on my folders page....I would still like to label my galleries page with the word "Galleries" when it opens. Is this doable while still keeping the "folders" page labeled " Folders"
  • Options
    I did use the "trio" on my folders page....I would still like to label my galleries page with the word "Galleries" when it opens. Is this doable while still keeping the "folders" page labeled " Folders"
    Any individual folder page you go to can be made "just this page" and the folder title changed. I've
    renamed all my folders that were legacy sub-cats doing this. Just make sure after making it "just this page"
    that "just this page" is highlighted on the top right in the flyout.
  • Options
    I don't see anything that says "just this page"...
  • Options
    I don't see anything that says "just this page"...
    Just looked. On the folder page under "All Folders" you should see "Make This Folder Custom".
    Click that.
  • Options
    I am in the folders page and now can't get to the gallery page. I select preview and I can get to the gallery page but when I select customization it defaults to the "folder"page from which I can't access the galleries. One step forward two steps back...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    I am in the folders page and now can't get to the gallery page. I select preview and I can get to the gallery page but when I select customization it defaults to the "folder"page from which I can't access the galleries. One step forward two steps back...ne_nau.gif

Click Preview and go to the page you want to customize. Go to the URL bar and add the following to the URL: "#customize". Hit enter (return). It should load the customization for that page.
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    Click Preview and go to the page you want to customize. Go to the URL bar and add the following to the URL: "#customize". Hit enter (return). It should load the customization for that page.

This is what I added http://www.crookedriverimages.com/Cuyahoga-Valley-National-Park #customize

There is no number for the gallery page in the url.
  • Options
    This is what I added http://www.crookedriverimages.com/Cuyahoga-Valley-National-Park #customize

There is no number for the gallery page in the url.

You need to realize that the customizer is not a browser. You can't navigate pages while in the customizer. You can only customize the page that you're set to customize.

If you're on your "Cuyahoga-Valley-National-Park" FOLDER then the only thing you can customize there is the folder. Not the galleries.

If you want to customize galleries you must either click on "All Galleries" to customize every single gallery ... or go back to Preview, click on the gallery you want, then add "#customize" to that gallery URL, and customize that way.
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    I went about it a different way...I published then went in and it took me to the Gallery Page and I did the "just this page" and it worked.

One more item then I will leave you alone for the night...

On my Folders page I have a few folders that I selected to be private yet they still show up. What did I do wrong here?
  • Options
    Logged in you see everything, unlisted and private. Visitors do not.
  • Options
    Allen wrote: »
    Logged in you see everything, unlisted and private. Visitors do not.

In my new Smug that I am trying to finish, those galleries appear when I select Preview...that is what confuses me. I thought under preview I would not see the private galleries.
  • Options
    In my new Smug that I am trying to finish, those galleries appear when I select Preview...that is what confuses me. I thought under preview I would not see the private galleries.

B643, you're asking good questions here so don't feel like these are bad ones. They've been asked a number of times on the forums.

SmugMug decided to get rid of the "Visitor View" feature. Why, I don't know? They claimed something about what you see is mostly what your visitors will see. Well, there's many obvious cases where you see things that your visitors won't see and private/unlisted galleries are one of them!

The only way for you to see what your visitors see would be to unveil your new site, log out, and load your page. Unfortunately there's no way to see a visitor view until you unveil. I don't recommend unveiling until you're ready to unveil. For now, just know that your private/unlisted galleries will not show up to visitors.
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    After having spent most of the morning and afternoon TRYING to finalize my new site, I have shut down.
    Your legacy site appears to be extremely uncomplicated, as far as I can see. If I was you, and with the experience of migrating my own much more complex site, I would just select a theme, unveil, and then make a menu link to your external blog.

You are very unlikely to be dissatisfied with the result, but you can then make such further refinements as you choose.
    I am scheduled to give a talk to my photography peers next Thursday on how to redesign their SmugMug site.
    Why did they ask you and why did you accept? ne_nau.gif