Options

Control image sharpeness like in old smugmug?

StarshadeStarshade Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited September 22, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hello,

I can clearly remember an amazing feature the old smugmug had: the possibility to adjust post-resize sharpness in a gallery. So each gallery would sharpen the final (smaller) image based on the settings provided. It was actually the feature that made me chose smugmug over other similar services because I am very picky when it comes to sharpness. Simple resize algorithms usually ruin the image quality. During the move I didn't notice the lack of adjustment and I viewed my website from a 13 inch full hd screen.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do anything about that? Sharpness loss is incredibly bad in the new smugmug (

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2013
    There's a "sharpening" section in the gallery settings, at least for me. It might be a feature reserved for the higher account levels.

What you might be seeing on your screen is that the new SmugMug often uses your web browser to scale images down, e.g. in the lightbox. That causes a slight loss of sharpness, particularly if you're using an older web browser. The old SmugMug pretty much only used exact, non-scaled images, mostly because it dated back to a time when browser scaling of images looked horrible.
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2013
    Starshade wrote: »
    Hello,

I can clearly remember an amazing feature the old smugmug had: the possibility to adjust post-resize sharpness in a gallery. ... Does anyone know if it's possible to do anything about that? Sharpness loss is incredibly bad in the new smugmug (

I have a power-level subscription. I don't see any sharpness controls on the website. Am I missing something? Sharpness controls are present in the Lightroom plug-in. Perhaps restoring yet another missing feature needs to go on SM's website to-do list.

My situation is not unlike Sharshade's: control of sharpening was the key feature that led me to upgrade from a basic to a power subscription early on.

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com