Options

Default page after clicking "browse"

runwayrunway Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited September 24, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hi, I'd like to edit the default page that comes up after clicking the Browse button. I believe it only appears when you are in the Preview mode and because it's in the Preview mode, I can't figure out how to make it "light up" so I can edit it. I'd like to add content to it. I can't locate it in my "organize site" window either. How do I get it in edit mode? :scratch

Thanks, Dave

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2013
    Go to this page
    /browse
    there is a customize choice at the top. I customized my /browse page. Made it "just this page".
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Oh...... Interesting.... That opened it up for customization! I've been trying to get to that state off and on for a day! I can finlally add content. Thanks, Al.
    One more question though. Before I start, I'd like to get to "just this page" as you suggested, and like other pages I've created. Here, however, it's set on "Entire site" and under that "Make this page Custom" - how do I get it to "Just this page"? It's these little transitions that seem to be my sticking point.

Much appreciated, Al. Thanks, Dave
  • Options
    runway wrote: »
    Oh...... Interesting.... That opened it up for customization! I've been trying to get to that state off and on for a day! I can finlally add content. Thanks, Al.
    One more question though. Before I start, I'd like to get to "just this page" as you suggested, and like other pages I've created. Here, however, it's set on "Entire site" and under that "Make this page Custom" - how do I get it to "Just this page"? It's these little transitions that seem to be my sticking point.

Much appreciated, Al. Thanks, Dave
    Isn't there a "make this page" on the right? My "Just This Page" is under All Folders.
    Did you click on "Make this page Custom"?
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2013
    hi, Al. You're making this a lot simpler for me. The answers to your first two questions were "no". The answer to your third question should have been, "No, because I didn't know what it meant and was unsure of the outcome." The warning that came up, didn't mention how it would change to "Just This Page," but instead stated it would forever not be affected by other changes. But at your suggestion, I clicked "Make this page Custom?" and that entry changed to "Just This Page."

So, Al, I think I'm back in business. I can proceed to fix this page, and I hope, I can extrapolate changes to the other pages I want to customize. However, I think what I was experiencing could be classified as a "bug" as I don't see any reason the customization state should have been unavailable when logically, I think it should have been there. A Hero tried to give me the same suggestion but his offer had an additional part that took me to a place that wasn't mine.

FYI, I was a US Patent Examiner for 38 years and was involved in it's automation training for years and even now I work as a contract trainer for new patent examiners teaching them how to use their unique software. I can't write code, but I'm pretty good at figuring out how software works from the user's side. This really puzzled me. It seems to me, that to get to the editable 'BROWSE" page, you need to add /browse to the address. if I understand that correctly, it should be added to the tutorials. Thanks, again.

Dave
  • Options
    BTW, Al. I think I need a "robust" identity photo like yours. I'll work on that.

Dave
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    I have a similar problem where http://www.dennismullen.com/browse takes me to the root directory of my site with galleries not to be seen.
    I customized "just this page" to show just my galleries folder at this address and it looks fine under preview. However when I publish it it goes back to the root directory.

EDIT: After saving the customization several times it finally took.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2013
    Hi, Dennis. Yes, when I publish mine and then preview it, it comes up on my homepage. then when I click browse, I get to the Browse page. But when I try to customize it, the system pops me back to my homepage.

I have an email from the Heroes saying the Browse page is a SmugMug default page and cannot be customized, but you clearly have modified it, as have I. Specifically, "That is a SmugMug page, so that part of it cannot be customized." So, I suspect I have not made my situation clear to them and they are answering a different question - they have always been very helpful and personable with me, as well as very knowledgeable.

However, maybe our cleaver Al has offered up a key to editing the page. Dave
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2013
    runway wrote: »
    However, maybe our cleaver Al has offered up a key to editing the page. Dave
    My /browse page has been set to "Just This Page" and I added a folders box and populated
    it with some of my folders. Actually "selected" legacy major categories.
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2013
    I have figured out what was holding me back from editing those Browse pages, or I should say that one of the SmugMug folks mentioned something that worked. In order to edit those pages, first you have to click "Publish" then you can customize them. Those pages aren't accessible till you hit that Publish button. The other step I was missing is not appreciating that the "Make this Folder Custom" button leads to "Just this Folder". Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think so much of the custumization process is embedded in "How To videos," rather than in written descriptions, that it is hard to find specific topics in the "Search" feature of SmugMugs support pages.